Demon Slim Alt Rebuild Points

Xmods

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2002
need more or different point ill do my best to find them

6/24/12 added missing RE point

7/9/12 rebuild pics added attached little sloppier then id like but pics are pre cleanup

7/9/12

moved big_teds nand pin out to op

Attachments

Last edited:

Ubergeek

Xecuter Groupie
Feb 24, 2003
California, USA
Jesus...how the hell are you supposed to solder wires next to each other on the nand pins without bridging them? Way out of my league, I guess you put one foot wrong with DemoN installation and it's curtains....
By knowing how to solder correctly, it's actually very easy - what do you think flux is for? :)

ball00

VIP Member
Nov 8, 2011
France
So if the quick solder pads are lifted do they need repaired before using the alt points like some of the cool runner points or can we just use the alt points without repair?

Already got one messed up slim install on its way and I haven't even received my personal demon yet! Sounds like the console has all or some of the quick solder points next to the row of resistors damaged or lifted. Interested to know if I'll need to repair before using an alternate install.

Hopefully I get to fit mine before the repair console gets to me.

ball00

VIP Member
Nov 8, 2011
France
Jesus...how the hell are you supposed to solder wires next to each other on the nand pins without bridging them? Way out of my league, I guess you put one foot wrong with DemoN installation and it's curtains....
Like everyone says lots of flux. It almost forces the solder to flow unto the pins and stay away from the gaps between.

Sorry for the double post. Can't get the hang of tapatalk yet

Last edited:

tonyjandc

VIP Member
Dec 30, 2011
london uk
Re: Slim Demon Rebuild Points

to add to ubbers, blakey and anyone else stating plenty of flux , good lighting natural light is best no glare back on maginifying glass . To give you a metafore do you paint your house at night ?

One last thing dont try this repair with beer neither !!!!!!!:D

Xmods

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2002

i will add top side points for D0 - D7 for those who are feeling frisky tomorrow

Reactions: x360ccm

WNYConsoles

Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs

I assume the DemoN has double-stick tape to secure it down?

I always add additional tape to the QSB's, especially on Phat QSB STBY_CLK point as it can easily pull the pad up (seen it several times on repairs) and Slim POST QSB as the Coax could easily pull up the whole board.

Xmods

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2002

I assume the DemoN has double-stick tape to secure it down?

I always add additional tape to the QSB's, especially on Phat QSB STBY_CLK point as it can easily pull the pad up (seen it several times on repairs) and Slim POST QSB as the Coax could easily pull up the whole board.
basically it's one big qsb i didn't have 2 sided tape with mine i just aligned everything soldered

L

LoneWolf913

to add to ubbers, blakey and anyone else stating plenty of flux , good lighting natural light is best no glare back on maginifying glass . To give you a metafore do you paint your house at night ?

One last thing dont try this repair with beer neither !!!!!!!:D
Seconded, although I've found a little led keychain light and jeweler's loupe (get one with a headband so it's hands-free) are wonderful for inspecting soldering work on this sort of thing..and I don't start drinking until AFTER the repair, to erase the horrible images of how screwed up these boards get from my memory :p

Ticallion

BANNED
Nov 30, 2011
Birmingham UK

I've given it a go and managed to pull it off, had to alternative going off the pin on the board or soldering to the top of the pin on the chip to get them side by side with tiny strands of wire, but yes, if ever flux was required, then it is for this kind of task no doubt about that. At least I know I can do it should the need ever arise, but I would not like to do that on a regular basis thats for sure.

360backupman

BANNED
Mar 16, 2011

One way I've seen people do it is to put card stock between the pins on one side to help isolate the solder but honestly this isn't important if you have a steady hand and flux like previously mentioned. Also you'll need kynar wire, that's practically a given.

Reactions: Ubergeek

ando2k9

VIP Member
Jul 5, 2010

is there not a alt/rebuild point for the point near sw1 on the install diagram next to the usb port?