HITACHI 79 Dvd drive not responding

just1more

Noob Account
Dec 15, 2011
My xbox 360 dvd player does not work at all, it wont open and the laser does not move. I think the circuit board on the drive is bad. I have another dvd drive but dont have the old dvd key for it to work with my 360. I am using xecuter blaster ck3 and the dvd drive is a hitachi gdr-3120L. Is there any way I can get the dvd key off the bad drive or cpu key without soldering? or would it be best to just go buy a used 360?

Reactions: trygame

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
You have a couple of options:

1. If your console is HDMI, it's possible to get the CPU and DVD key from the console itself.

2. The DVD key should be accessible from the drive PCB (via removal of the TSOP).

Either service will result in you needing to supply a replacement DVD drive of the same type (Hitachi 79), but should still be more affordable than a replacement console.

just1more

Noob Account
Dec 15, 2011
Is there a post or could you please tell me exactly what all I need to do? What is PCB

Last edited:

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
The fact you need to ask what a PCB is tells me it's well above your skill level.

It's also something nobody can give you a tutorial with step by step instructions. You need to remove the TSOP and read it in a programmer.

I offer this service, so let me know if you're interested. I only need the drive board.

just1more

Noob Account
Dec 15, 2011
Could you tell me how much it will cost me? If I decide to do it, do I just ship the dvd's circuit board to you?

---------- Post added at 13:52 ---------- Previous post was at 13:49 ----------

Could you tell me how much? and if I decide to have you do it how do I pay you?