LITEON DG-16D2S DVD Flashing/Firmware

SuhMuhDit

Noob Account
Feb 4, 2012
Currently, I am in the process of purchasing a new drive for my Xbox arcade system. At the moment, though I'm not sure which kernel, it has a way older dashboard on it.

Since I have no choice but to replace this drive - since it seems it has the "Open Tray Error"; as it was given to me, I have no idea what was sought out to fix this system - the question is, and I'm only assuming because I do not know - will I lose that firmware, or will I be able to replace the older kernel that I have on it, without upgrading to the newest dashboard?

Secondly, because I'm completely unaware - if I were to flash it with LT 3.0+, will I have to upgrade to the newest dashboard, or could I keep it at the older dash - assuming that I'm able to use the old dash with the new drive? Reason being, I was thinking about possibly JTAGn - later on, and from what I read, you need older kernels (dashboards) to do so. Unless that has changed recently, I'm unaware.

Lastly, if someone could point me to a tut/vid that would help me inject the keys/firmware into the new dvd drive, once I receive it? I have not been able to find such that explains the process with replacing a dvd drive, in particular. If there is any out there, I must have simply missed it.

Thank you in advance!!

onedumblonde

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2011
Canadia
By the sounds of it you need to figure out which drive, dashboard and motherboard you have first. Once you have the drive figured out that will send you in the right direction.
As far as lt 3.0 you will need to be on the latest dash. If you want to jtag that is something that you need to find out more about before you update your dash. Because after you update your dash you lose that option. Doing a rgh on it is an option with an updated dash.

Reactions: SuhMuhDit

SuhMuhDit

Noob Account
Feb 4, 2012
By the sounds of it you need to figure out which drive, dashboard and motherboard you have first. Once you have the drive figured out that will send you in the right direction.
As far as lt 3.0 you will need to be on the latest dash. If you want to jtag that is something that you need to find out more about before you update your dash. Because after you update your dash you lose that option. Doing a rgh on it is an option with an updated dash.
It is the Liteon DG-16D2S drive, Jasper motherboard and the dashboard is 2.0.8955.0

onedumblonde

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2011
Canadia
That dash is too new to jtag, so that's out of the question.
Your "open tray" liteon could probably be easily fixed by replacing the laser which is cheaper then replacing the whole dvd drive.

SuhMuhDit

Noob Account
Feb 4, 2012
That dash is too new to jtag, so that's out of the question.
Your "open tray" liteon could probably be easily fixed by replacing the laser which is cheaper then replacing the whole dvd drive.
Yes. I realize that now - that the dash is too "updated" to JTAG, unfortunately. I will have to buy one, late on - if that is the case.

Well, I already had bought the dvd drive and I'm not so much worried about it. Either way, it will be fixed.

SuhMuhDit

Noob Account
Feb 4, 2012
Well, good luck. There is always lots of people lingering around here willing to help if you get yourself stuck.
Yeah. That is why I had asked in the first place. I mean, I'm sure I can figure this all out - just need to find the proper way of doing so.

But, thank you for your input.