exfat - retroarch?

special_ta

Feb 27, 2019
GREECE
My system works perfect until now.
Never tried retroarch . Do I take risk if I will install retroarch? or maybe everythink will work ok?
<Apologize for my bad English>
Thank you.

zebular

Noob Account
Mar 22, 2019
US
I've used it with exFAT and it definitely screwed up my file structure and I had to reformat my SD card. I would back everything up to your computer first before you give it a go.

imprezgc8

Bannnnnn-Kai!
Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
Nov 26, 2007
The Cloud
You can use exFAT you just need to manage it correctly. Don't just close out to the home screen. Make sure to quit RA from the menu so that it closes properly. Their devs do recommend fat32 though for that exact reason.

Most homebrew apps work that way though. Just going to the home screen is not the correct way to close them.

Reactions: tokyo

tokyo

The Panda
VIP Member
Sep 9, 2018
Bamboo Forest
I have used RA with exFAT before. However, when I noticed the RA website saying, don’t use exFAT, I switched to FAT32.

special_ta

Feb 27, 2019
GREECE
Is RetroArch working with n64 titles? Does it need specific settings?
Tried to run but program stop respond with an error. System must reboot.
Thank you

tokyo

The Panda
VIP Member
Sep 9, 2018
Bamboo Forest
Is RetroArch working with n64 titles? Does it need specific settings?
Tried to run but program stop respond with an error. System must reboot.
Thank you
N64 works. You have to hold down R to boot into homebrew and run the mupenplus-next emulator. There is also a special config file you need to add to your retro arch folder.

Check out this thread. It’s all here and the dev is actively answering questions and what not. It’s not officially supported with SX OS according to the dev, but myself and others have gotten it to work.

Reactions: imprezgc8

imprezgc8

Bannnnnn-Kai!
Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
Nov 26, 2007
The Cloud
Is there another SNES emulator that runs on exfat?
There are standalone emulators other than RA, but to be honest most homebrew should be used with fat32. Again you can use exFAT without issue as long as you manage it correctly. The Switch itself is buggy with exFAT. Most people not running a modded Switch wouldn't really notice though.

special_ta

Feb 27, 2019
GREECE
N64 works. You have to hold down R to boot into homebrew and run the mupenplus-next emulator. There is also a special config file you need to add to your retro arch folder.

Check out this thread. It’s all here and the dev is actively answering questions and what not. It’s not officially supported with SX OS according to the dev, but myself and others have gotten it to work.

Thank you very much for your help.
Managed to run and replace mupenplus-next emulator with the new one, but didn't find the special config file to add to retro arch folder.

Lesynn

Jan 17, 2019
Germany
What if i started retroarch through the icon from the homescreen? (Installed the nsp) Do i still have to close it through the homebrew menu or can i just close it with going back to the homescreen?

MacD

Feb 28, 2019
Cornwall
I used exFAT with retroarch until i read how Nintendo Switch file structure works.

I went to copy my NAND Dump to my PC a few days ago and the second file was corrupted. Most definitely due to exFAT file structure.

With exFAT, there is only one file allocation table. When a file is opened and the system gets interrupted before the file closes again, the FAT loses its index of where that actual file is, and it becomes unrecoverable forever.

The same thing happens with FAT32, except FAT32 has two file allocation tables, and when one of them becomes corrupt, it uses the backup to restore.

No matter how careful you are to never go directly back to the home screen, or how hard you try to close the current file, something outside your control WILL eventually happen for you to get file corruption with exFAT on the Switch with Retroarch.

exFAT works fine on OFW on the switch, something to do with the journalism system it uses and corruption doesn't become an issue (I can't remember how this works, plenty of info via google).

I went through the pain of going back to FAT32 on the MicroSD, i use a exFAT usb plugged into the dock to install games over 4gb and it all works like a charm, with peace of mind my MicroSD isn't likely to get corrupted.