External HDD Support

black1stallion2

Sep 16, 2018
Hi,
Just curious as to when/if HDD support will come.
I currently have a 64GB sd card, for most instances this is ok, but some titles range from 8GB to 27GB, so the continuous routine of taking out the sd, transferring whatever, and rebooting the switch, then installing NSPs is getting tedious, plus I'm having to store all these titles on a separate drive anyway since I'm already using close to 300gb. this, however, means I have to wait for the transfer from the HDD to PC to SD.
It would just be so much simpler if i could just put everything on my drive and just plug it into the USB on the dock.

TubeBar

Aug 6, 2018
How would you connect an external HDD to Switch w/o a some kind of a Hard mod? It doesn't have a USB port like Wii/Wii U/PS3/P4 etc. just has a USB Type C connector and not sure any HDD that use that. Also the Switch NAND only supports SD so you'd have to modify the actual NAND to support the HDD - sounds like it isn't going to happen IMO.

black1stallion2

Sep 16, 2018
The Dock has a USB port,
I have it docked most of the time, if also possible a homebrew app to manage and transfer xci/nsp to and from the HDD

black1stallion2

Sep 16, 2018
It could happen....

NVM, I found a workaround for now.

I have just bought a USB3 network adapter
I own a Synology NAS

so I just plugged in the HDD in the NAS
added the switch FTP to the NAS

Now all I have to do is.

1. Wake up Switch
  2. Open DS File on my phone
  3. Select XCI/NSP
  4. Press copy to switch
  5. Done..

even over WiFi, I'm getting fairly decent speed, so with a high-speed ethernet adapter i should be laughing

Screen Shot 2018-09-26 at 00.04.45.png

Octogon

Jul 11, 2018
hmmmm, i think what they whant is that you can play the games from a external hdd ! so to do that with your NAS , that is a FTP transfer nothing else more !:tongue:

TubeBar

Aug 6, 2018
I forgot about when it's docked having a USB port. I hope someone comes up w something as that maybe possible.

black1stallion2

Sep 16, 2018
Yeah, i would like to play/install/manage games on a HDD plugged into the switch dock, however while i wait the FTP method im using allows my to simply open an app, and wait a couple of minutes to play a game btw its very fast with the adapter, and this way i can still remotely manage my collection.
For example yesterday, i was at work and noticed fifa was available so copied and pasted the dlink into the nas download app, 20minutes later it was on my external hdd, text the wife to press the on button on the switch, then ftp'd over, so when i got home i was good to go.