Falcon RGH2+ CR4 XL mfr. 2016 zero successful boots

Blaze Viper

Noob Account
Feb 2, 2020
CA
Is it really true that newer CR4s don't boot phats?

I bought mine in 2016 and now have a reason to hook it up, tried all dip switches, postbits, wire routings, even redid my connections several times which weren't even bad joints but I began doubting myself. Tried different wires for cpu rst too.

I'm floored at the performance of TX's final coolrunner. I even went the distance to get QSBs and the external wiring kit. Even gt a TX t-shirt and coffee mug Is my only choice to get a chinese rev C at this point? Pic only of topside as I'm still trying to get into Xell as I write this.

johnnyblackout

Mar 10, 2012
new york
I only see one picture here. What's the rest of the install look like? I just wired up a Jasper the other day and it worked fine. Something has to be up with your soldering. Remove the QSB and all the wires attached to it. Does the console boot with stock NAND? if it does , try wiring it up without the QSB's and post pictures of everything.

Blaze Viper

Noob Account
Feb 2, 2020
CA
I only see one picture here. What's the rest of the install look like? I just wired up a Jasper the other day and it worked fine. Something has to be up with your soldering. Remove the QSB and all the wires attached to it. Does the console boot with stock NAND? if it does , try wiring it up without the QSB's and post pictures of everything.
Oh uh, I wrote that in a fit of emotion and didn't think this place was still active, let's do this properly then.

Please click the imgur link to see the entire album.

• Console Type: Falcon
  • Programmer Used: JRP v2.0
  • NAND Size: 16mb
  • Dashboard version: 2.0.16197.0
  • CB Version: 5774
  • Screenshot of NAND details from J-Runner: (attach an image to your post)
  • J-Runner log:
  • ===================================================
    Saturday, February 1, 2020 10:28:00 PM

Initializing nanddump1.bin..
    Falcon/Opus
    Jtag Selected
    Nand Initialization Finished
    Glitch2 Selected
    Falcon Manually Selected
    ECC created
    Checking Console..
    Version: 10
    Flash Config: 0x01198010
    Xenon, Zephyr, Opus, Falcon
    CB Version: 9188
    Trinity
    Checking Console..
    Trinity
    Checking Console..
    Trinity
    ECC created
    Writing Nand
    image_00000000.ecc
    Done!
    in 0:18 min:sec

Initializing nanddump1.bin..
    Falcon/Opus
    Jtag Selected
    Nand Initialization Finished
    Glitch2 Selected
    Jtag Selected
    Glitch2 Selected
    Flash Config: 0x00000000
    Can not Continue
    Writing Nand
    nanddump1.bin
    Done!
    in 3:43 min:sec

Checking Console..
    CB Version: 5774
    Falcon/Opus
    Falcon Manually Selected
    ECC created
    Writing Nand
    image_00000000.ecc
    Done!
    in 0:18 min:sec

Checking Console..
    Trinity
    Not a PIRS/LIVE file!
  • updflash.bin log (if applicable) unsure where to find
  • Was the console working before you started: Y
  • Do you get a green debug light appear on the CR4 XL chip every 4-5 seconds: Y
  • How long is the light on for each time: consistent 5 second flash
  • Detailed Description of the Problem: Was able to reflash and boot retail after having my doubts, resumed trying to get into Xell afterwards but have yet to get a successful boot, all dips postbits and half of the tuning caps were tried along with various CPU RST wire lengths and types. All connections verified with a multimeter.

Last edited:

chris2122

VIP+ Member
Mar 11, 2011
Sunderland
Honestly kind of baffled at this, the QSB you've installed isn't doing anything beyond giving you a different 5V point.

I noticed on the under side of your board you pulled your original CPU RST - you can use the original on the RGH1 guide top side point for CPU RST which is a little bit easier to play around with.
You do need to use the CR4, or you're likely to encounter no glitch or incredibly poor glitch times, but even then honestly if I were you, I'd keep the CR4 for a slim and just RGH1.2 the falcon with a rev C. It'd be more reliable.

Hope this helps lol.

Blaze Viper

Noob Account
Feb 2, 2020
CA
Did you check the "CR4" checkbox before creating / writing the ECC image?

If I remember correctly, the CR4 uses it's own ECC files for XeLL.
I did, yes. I may have accidentally trimmed that out of the logs, there was lots of instances of me pressing glitch 2 and CR4.

Honestly kind of baffled at this, the QSB you've installed isn't doing anything beyond giving you a different 5V point.

I noticed on the under side of your board you pulled your original CPU RST - you can use the original on the RGH1 guide top side point for CPU RST which is a little bit easier to play around with.
You do need to use the CR4, or you're likely to encounter no glitch or incredibly poor glitch times, but even then honestly if I were you, I'd keep the CR4 for a slim and just RGH1.2 the falcon with a rev C. It'd be more reliable.

Hope this helps lol.
Yeah I purchased the parts 4 years ago thinking that if I buy as many parts and accessories as I can, it'll make the install easier. Currently waiting on a Chinese rev c as this has been a failure. Oh, and I did try R8C2 up top, it gave consistent resets lights as well but also failed to get into xell.

I appreciate the help, can't believe bl4ck3y is even still here. :)