FEEDBACK PLEASE!! An XICS SCRIPT TO DL and INSTALL UNLEASHX

XBGuy

Oct 23, 2003
USA
Below I will paste very detailed/commented xics script code that attemtps to format a new hd...download the unleashx from an internet ftp server to the c partition of the xbox...then unzip the file...copy all the necessary files from the zip to the root of the c drive...and end by launching the newly dl'd and installed dashboard...please leave feedback as to why this script would not run..I am unable to do testing of this particular script myself as I don't have an fresh hd's to format at this time...I am doing this in an attempt to help my x get our daughters xbox upgraded with a large hd so the games don't continue to get ruined when she is puting them in the xbox or taking them out...If I can just send the x a script to run so she can then copy the games to the hd for our daughter...then we won't have to worry about beat up discs anymore...Again please give detailed reasons this script would not work..anyone who has the time or ability to test this script I would greatly appreciate it...It was done fairly quickly, mostly to get some feeback as this feature is so lightly touched on..I'd like to see more ppl get involved with it and help those of us who are not sure what we're doing...Not only do I lack a fresh hd to be formatting..but I've tried several other scripts with no luck on running them from 2 different pen drives, as you can see in my other posts..well here is the script..all feedback appreciated!!

############################################################################
#XICS Script for new hard drive installs..the goal is to make a new hard #drive install easy for noobs who own an x3
#
#Note: testing of this script is not possible for me as i've not been able #to ge even one script to work. Use this script at your own risk..please #leave feedback here in the forums...thanks..good luck..happy modding
#
#In theory this script should do exactly what it says it will...agian I am #unable to test it, as I'm unable to get any XICS scripts to run on my 3294 #x3 bios
#Okay the first steps will let you know that the script is running, setup
#the http network (will need to be changed for static users). To eliminate #the network setup or any other command in this script simply put a # before #the code.
#############################################################################
#this first line of code will be to jump to another script incase formatting #of the drive has already been done..if it finds a c:\ partition it should #jump to script2.ini..lets hope...this will allow the script to simply be #used to recover a dashboard if necessary

if exist c:\ runscript script2.ini

#this next code snipet is used to simply tell the user what is #happening...kind of a mind easer I guess

echo We will begin this XICS Script by setting up the network connection..please be sure your network is plugged in...please wait..

#this code is the obvious...sets up a dhcp (router) connection

network dhcp

#next I again let the user know what the script plans to do

echo This script will now format the current hard drive in this Xbox Console

#############################################################################Here I have the script sleep for 2 seconds..I did this in case it jumps #quickly from one command to the next..2 seconds should give the user time #to read the echo command

sleep 2000

#############################################################################Now the script should format the hard drive of the xbox...I assume it does #all the drives ect. as stated this is the command for a brand new hd..this #will erase all infomation on a drive, and leave you with the partition #table/directories

prepdrive

#############################################################################Here I just give the script a 2 second rest...I'd want a break after all #that hard work :)

sleep 2000

#############################################################################Here I am going to continue puting the "if" command to the test..this will #help with error finding ect..or at least that's the hope in all the extra #coding. in the event of an error I'm unsure how to kill a script...so I am #giving the user 10 seconds to power down the console to stop any further #errors...I'm unsure of the errors that will already be implemented in the #scripting language itself.I've also tossed in another script to halt any #further errors incase your not paying attention

if exist c:\ echo C:\ Partition created successfully
if !exist c:\ echo No C:\ Partition found...error 01...Please turn off you xbox console in the next 10 seconds...
if !exist c:\ sleep 10000
if !exist c:\ runscript script3.ini
if exist e:\ echo E:\ Partition created successfully
if exist f:\ echo F:\ Partition created successfully
if exist g:\ echo G;\ Partition created successfully

#############################################################################After "testing" the drive formatting to the best of my ability from what I #understand of this scripting language. It appears the script would still be #running at this point, so once again I will let the user know what has #taken place..again I'm unsure any of this works...seems too easy to be #true, but again as far as I can tell there are little to no "rules" #implemented into the language itself...without rules it would be hard to #set up any kind of error system

echo Current hard drive has been properly formatted...please wait...

sleep 1000

echo The script will now download and install Unleashx as your main dashboard...please wait...this may take several minutes

sleep 5000

#############################################################################As you see above I attempt to echo a msg to the user a couple times..below #I will attempt to download the Unleashx dashboard from an ftp server on the #net..I'm not sure this will work at all as the example given in the #scripting doc with the bios used an http server in the command. I put the #c:\ in front of the file name in hopes that it saves it to the c: partition #of the xbox..again this is the way I understand it to work

download c:\UnleashX_0_39_0222A.rar ftp://ftp.gx-mod.com/xbox/console/dashboards/unleashx/UnleashX_0_39_0222A.rar

#############################################################################Again I am going to attempt to make sure the previous step took #place...again I will use the same shutdown method as above..until someone #points out a way to kill the script or adds a shutdown command
if exist c:\UnleashX_0_39_0222A.rar unzip UnleashX_0_39_0222A.rar c:\
if !exist c:\UnleashX_0_39_0222A.rar echo Dashboard file not found...error 02...Please turn off you xbox console in the next 10 seconds...
if !exist c:\UnleashX_0_39_0222A.rar sleep 1000
if !exist c:\UnleashX_0_39_0222A.rar runscript script4.ini

#############################################################################Now I am going to make sure the "unzip" command worked by making sure the #directory for unleash is now in the c:\ partition. If not found I again #force the script to jump to what will be an error script...if it finds the #unzipped files, it will copy them to the root of the c: partition

if !exist c:\UnleashX_0_39_0222A\Default.xbe echo Zip failed...please power down your xbox console
if !exist c:\UnleashX_0_39_0222A\Default.xbe sleep 10000
if !exist c:\UnleashX_0_39_0222A\Default.xbe runscript script5.ini
if exist c:\UnleashX_0_39_0222A\Default.xbe copy Default.xbe c:\
if exist c:\UnleashX_0_39_0222A\Config.xml copy Config.xml c:\
if exist c:\UnleashX_0_39_0222A\English.xml copy English.xml c:\
if exist c:\UnleashX_0_39_0222A\French.xml copy French.xml c:\
if exist c:\UnleashX_0_39_0222A\German.xml copy German.xml c:\

#############################################################################At this point I hope to have the necessary unleashx files in the c #partition of the xbox hd...this will now make the xbox "workable"...I would #like a file "rename" command, but can live with out it..as I am about to #end this script with the necessary information being told to the user and #the dashboard being launched...please give feedback on this script..if it #should work..shouldn't, and why..ect..

if exist c:\Default.xbe echo Dashboard xbe file found..will launch Dashboard in 5 seconds
sleep 5000
if exist c:\Default.xbe launch c:\Default.xbe
if !exist c:\Default.xbe echo Dashboard launch failed...please power down your xbox in the next 10 seconds...
if !exist c:\Default.xbe runscript script6.ini

##########################################################################

Note that the comment tag (#) is positioned correctly in the original notepad text file...I assume that is what matters..Again any help on this would be appreciated..Thanks In Advance...Happy Modding

kennygprs

Jul 10, 2004
Michigan
do you know if the "unzip" command supports RAR files? or are you sure thats not where its failing?

kEnnY GpRS

XBGuy

Oct 23, 2003
USA
Thanks for the reply...

Well the problem here is that the damn thing don't even launch...I've been unable to get any xics scripts to do anything...To answer your question, no I'm not sure that the "unzip" command includes rar files, but being that .rar is the most "common" zip type file in this "scene" I just assumed it would be fine...As you see in the script tho, a few things should take place to let me know that the script is actually doing something...such as the "echo" command...nothing at all happens when i attempt to run an xics script from 2 different pen drives, and multiple cd/dvd's...so if you know how to or have a script that actually works, even if it only "echos"...I'd like to see it...if not do me a favor and see if you can get one to launch and give me a step by step of what you did to get it to launch..thanks again for your reply...happy modding...

NeOnRaBbIt

VIP Member
If you're having trouble getting ANY script to run, just start easy and see if you can do a small, 'hello world' script, and build up from there. I'm planning on working on this a bit later this week though, just reading your script has gotten me interested, it looks REALLY simple! It's just the syntax that I don't fully get yet.

oh wow.. I didn't notice how long the last post was.. Oh well..

Last edited: