LITEON 74850 fixing a fried PCB (R207)

tronix89

Nov 9, 2011
Hello guys, two years ago I bought my self an xbox 360 and I wanted to flash it myself. But I messed it up, I powered the cable upside down so my drive got fried. I have a new 360 but this time I did flash it.

Now I want to fix the broken drive, I do have some basic electronic skills and I have many electronic components since I create radio transmitters for fun.

After looking on the internet I came across a couple sites where people had the same problem. By plugging the cable upside down the resistor R207 will burn up. Now some people say that you need to bridge the connection of this resistor and it will work. Here comes the problem.

1. At the first moment I did bridge the connection with a small wire because the trace was burned up. When I connected it to JungleFlasher I saw the drive coming up saying its a lite on etc. When I tried to dump the keys I got an error saying "PhatKey failed".

2. At this moment it looked like JF couldnt see my drive. I connected it again and indeed JF didnt see my drive. At the drive properties it says: "No Drive Detected". DosFlasher says something with Vendor MKT error.

3. I checked the solder connection and resoldered it, just to make sure its not a cold or dead solder joint. Now when I connect the drive to my PC (with the CK3 stuff etc), the laser goes on and stays on but JF still doesnt see it. DosFlash doesn't give me now an error when I open the drive but I cannot read or write anything.

Now I have connected the drive to my 360 and checked what it does:

1 - With the bridge, when I turn the 360 on the drive opens very hard. Even when I try to open or close it via the controller it doesn't do anything.

2 - Without the bridge it does nothing.

So I think the problem lies with the bridge, should I put there a resistor? But what value should it be? Does anyone else had a problem like this and how did you guys solve it?

I have posted some photos:

Front side

Back side

As you can see the trace was burnt up, I scratched the surface on the copper pad of R207 soldered a small wire there to the backside of the PCB.

So any ideas on how to fix it? I really want to solve this matter.

Thanks in advance.

Goldensavage

VIP Member
Jul 26, 2009
Essex, UK
If you have the key. You will be better off, seeing if you can purchase an old PCB from someone who has excess of LiteOn drives.

Just replace the PCB and you'll be ready to go

Or do the RGH and get the key from the Mobo, and then swap the PCB's

Or look TeaJunkie up. He is the resident expert at fixing screwed up Lite-Ons

tronix89

Nov 9, 2011
Yes I was thinking about a Reset Glitch Hack. But I dont know where to start or what to buy. I have searched on Google but I got stuck because there are a couple of different chips? Which chip do you recommend me to use?

Jun 4, 2010
Or I could sort it as well ...

tronix89

Nov 9, 2011
Okay I will buy the Xecuter CoolRunner because its a win win situation. If I can retrieve the dvd key then its good if not then I can run homebrew apps. I assume I will need also some cables right for data transfer, how do I connect this to my PC after I have soldered all wires? Do I only need the Coolrunner PCB and nothing else? Because I just checked this page:

http://team-xecuter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74689

But they only show the wire diagram. But I know for sure there is other stuff I need to purchase so I want to buy it all in one time.

emshady45

Noob Account
Nov 7, 2011
hey tronix89 , I have the same problem you described due to an upside down cable connection ,I have removed R207 and bridge it to the next connection point on the back side,now its ok to open &close the tray by controller command but unable to read any disk ,the laser will beam for 2-3 seconds only .and i dont no if it could be recognized by DOSFLASH to dump the key , with & without the sata cable connected to the x360 it acts the same ,still ok to open and close the tray

i was wondering if the two holes on the burned trace were originally linked to other IC points ? and really need some one could tell a solid PCB repair solution of this from their previous experience

tronix89

Nov 9, 2011
emshady45, I have done the same. It seemed to work at the first moment, JF could see the drive and it also showed a code (stupid me, I did not copy it). But when I tried to extract the code I was getting a lot of keyfailed to extract messages. After this JF couldnt read the drive anymore.

I think there are other damaged components. I cannot control it via my 360. When I connect it to my 360 the tray opens very hard and it stays like that. I really would like to know how people solved it before.

I think the capacitor is also damaged.

emshady45

Noob Account
Nov 7, 2011
I think I have successfully fixed the problem though the process was very struggling as I finnaly extracted data key with my laptop connection but obviously the laser is confirmed dead , anyway this is a huge lesson I have learned ,full awareness of triple check the power cable connection before the power is on at any time.

worthy7

Noob Account
Apr 1, 2014
I think I have successfully fixed the problem though the process was very struggling as I finnaly extracted data key with my laptop connection but obviously the laser is confirmed dead , anyway this is a huge lesson I have learned ,full awareness of triple check the power cable connection before the power is on at any time.

So what did you do?