FlashBios3.0.3 Prob - Blank screen when booting to BackUp

Momus

Noob Account
Nov 14, 2004
SouthEast
Hi guys,

I followed the instructions from the post "How to update latest Flashbios to X3 Backup"

The process seems to go just fine. Erase 100%, Writing 100%, Verifying 100%, hit B button. No problem.

But, when I hit both the power and eject button and get a violet light...nothing happens. No Flashbios at all.

I had read about problems with the HD packs, I have a 1.6 BTW, and Flashbios. I use the S-Video pack, not the Component HD pack, don't know if that should make a difference, but I went ahead and attached the original composite cable just to make sure and still nothing.

So, near as I can tell, the Flashbios Backup is non-existant now. The LAN led flashes when I boot to Backup, so perhaps there is some activity there, but there is no display at all.

Any suggestions?

Most importantly, if I am unable to get Flashbios 3.0.3 working, where can I get the original Flashbios which was, silly me, working fine. If nothing else I'd like to be able to restore the original 3.0.0 Flashbios to the 256K BackUp.

Thanks for your help.

Wizzcat

Noob Account
Nov 13, 2004
Norway
Re: FlashBios3.0.3 Prob - Blank screen when booting to BackU

Got the exact same problem. After getting the brilliant idea of awesomeness to update to FlashBios 3.0.3 (from 3.0.1 I think) I'm just getting black screens on booting backup-rom. Have tried with 3.0.2beta as well (couldn't find 300 or 301) and it's the same. It was working great before, and I haven't changed my setup, cable is the standard scart composite crap.

It's not a huge problem for me since I (by accident) have 3.0.0 flashed onto banks 5-6-7-8 which I don't use, and thus have a backup should I screw my main bios, but I would nonetheless feel safer having a real backup-rom which I couldn't screw up.

And yes, I've done everything like the instructions said, and am getting exactly the same stuff that Momus (above) describes.

KingDRAGON

Jan 25, 2004
Cyberspace

Flashbios 3.0.3 worked perfectly here. I was also able to boot in flashbios backup rom and do a network update (http on 192.168.0.99) to ver 1959 also without any problem.

Perhaps you should try reflash your backuprom one more time.

Rengoku

Noob Account
Nov 13, 2004
Florida

I'm in the same boat! So, whats the fix?

Momus

Noob Account
Nov 14, 2004
SouthEast

Interesting...Here's what I've done.

I set the external switches to OFF OFF OFF ON, selecting Bank 8 (256k) for flashing. Then I used FTP to drop the 3.0.3 FlashBIOS, renamed BIOS.BIN into the Bank 8 folder. It flashed Bank 8, I named it Flash3.0.3, and restarted the machine.

FlashBIOS 3.0.3 booted instantly, no problem whatsoever. I'd even switched back to my S-Video and DD output instead of the standard composite so it isn't that.

Is it possible that the 256K BackUp is bad somehow? I was able to boot to it fine when it was 3.0.0.

Oh, here's a question...Do the jumpers have to be set a specific way to flash the Backup?

I was really surprised to run into this issue, as everything else from Xecuter has otherwise been perfect. But I'm sure it's something that I'm missing. Keep up the good work you guys, as a new customer I'm already trying to sell some friends on your stuff.

Thanks to all for help and suggestions.

Momus

Noob Account
Nov 14, 2004
SouthEast

Oh, and incase it wasn't clear. I have successfully loaded the X3 1959 BIOS into banks 1,2,3,4. The box boots normally, takes me right into XBMC and we're off to the races.

The issue I am trying to resolve is that of my 256K Backup not working after attempting to update it.

I can get 3.0.3 FlashBios to boot fine from another 256K bank, but I have been unable to successfully load it to the 256K backup.

Any admins or team members with ideas, please jump in. ;)

Momus

Noob Account
Nov 14, 2004
SouthEast

OK, here's more news.

Get this. I tried booting to the Backup again and receive the same black screen as always, then I pressed the EJECT button and the 3.0.3 FlashBIOS screen magically appeared. How very strange.

So apparently the Backup Bios is flashing just fine, it's there and it's booting when I press both the POWER and EJECT buttons at the same time. It simply isn't bringing up the display somehow, which it does just fine if I boot the FlashBIOS 3.0.3 that I have in memory bank 8.

You guys which seem to be exeriencing the same problem, try booting to the Backup and hitting EJECT. Let us know if you get the same result.

I imagine you Team Xecuter guys might be interested by this. Why this isn't happening to everyone I have no idea, but i'd love to find out.

Rengoku

Noob Account
Nov 13, 2004
Florida

No good on my end. All the box did was start flashing at me when I hit the eject button.

DrunkJ

Nov 3, 2004
us

Hey, I had the same thing happen a couple times (after I figured out not to use the HD cable). I held the power and eject real quick and got the purple light and a black screen. What I had read somewhere else in another post turned out to be the case with mine. I was pressing too quick. After reading that, I tried again and held them in longer and damn if it did not boot right into the flashbios 3.0.2 (at that time). Hope this helps any.

AbMagFab

Jul 13, 2004
Maryland

Same problem, black screen after flashing 256k backup. The backup flash worked fine originally, and I get the purple light pressing the power/DVD button (and again, this worked fine before I decided to reflash with 3.02 and now 3.03).

1.6, using the MS original cables. 1959 works fine.

Please, I'm worried that if some BIOS comes down and I need the flash backup, I'll be screwed. Is Team Xecutor denying this problem? Does anyone have a 3.0.0/3.0.1 flash backup?

fuzzy938

Noob Account
Nov 10, 2004
Phoenix, AZ USA

I get this same problem to, i have a 1.6 and latest x3 bios.

Xecuter

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Dec 6, 2002
Asia
team-xecuter.com

can i ask why any of you flashed FlashBIOS anyway ? why not just flash the X3 bios in the first place ?

cus from X3CL you can flash your backup as many times as you like - most ppl dump x2 bios or evox bios on there

i think FlashBIOS v3.03 aint working right on v1.6 (works ok on v1.6b) - but we DID put this in the txt file that there is some weird issue.

just use v3.01 if you have a v1.6 - i dont see the drama here ?

www.teamxecuter.com/downloads/flashbios_v301.rar

Momus

Noob Account
Nov 14, 2004
SouthEast

Thanks for the reply xecuter, and thanks so much for the link to 3.0.1, that is most helpful. And yes, I have been using X3CL to flash the backup from the start, 1959 works great

I think the only drama has been in trying to figure out whether there may be some problem with 3.0.3 or the 256K backup, which I thought was the point of these forums.

Admittedly, updating the Backup just "because I can" my not be the wisest choice. :) But based on the announcement on your site and even in the readme it says "Tested working on ...1.6..." I simply thought I'd throw the flashbios on there just keep up to date.

You must admit it's an interesting issue, however, that the 3.0.3 works perfectly on my 1.6 when booting from bank 8, but when booting from 256K Backup the eject button has to be pressed a second time for the display to come up. Certainly not earthshattering...but interesting. ;)

At this point, I know that the Flashbios is there in the BackUp, so I'm no longer concerned that there might be some issue with the BackUp, clearly it has something to do with 3.0.3. I've simply been updating others on my progress in the interest of exploring the issue and helping others who may be experiencing similar problems. I hope that's OK. I thought part of the point of the forums was that we end-users were supposed to help each other out.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply. I'm a big fan of your products and I'm really enjoying exploring their potential.

Oh, and in response to DrunkJ, I tried holding the power and eject buttons longer to get into the backup and it didn't make any difference for me. I still had to press the eject button a second time for the 3.0.3 display to come up. Hmmm...

AgMagFab, no worries. Xecuter has kindly provided 3.0.1 for us, which should put things back to normal for you.

Happy troubleshooting all.