Flashing a Plextor PX-L890SA (XP-Pro)

Mike Lynch

Noob Account
Oct 2, 2012
I found you Site while searching for help with my Plextor PX-L890SA. I do not have an XBox and perhaps I do not belong here. I'll state my problem to see if it might be relevant and if not, I'll pack up my Registration and leave quietly. I use a PC that runs under MS XP-Pro SP3. I purchased a Plextor PX-L890SA to use in it. Once physically installed, that includes being recognized by the BIOS, MS XP-Pro does not see it. There is no indication in the Device Manager that there is a Plextor PX-L890SA attached to the System. For months, Plextor has ignored or other, requests from myself and others for a Driver. I have been told that it's an MS Registry problem, let them sort it out. I have tried but even the MS FixIt Application "fails" and does not recognize the Plextor PX-L890SA. It fails with a 0X80040154 error code. Yes, a dead end UNTIL, I came upon your Site. My thoughts are, as I learned from your Site: the Plextor PX-L890SA is a REBADGED Product, perhaps a Flash to a Lite-On Product would allow MS to recognize it and download a Drive. Perhaps it's that simple but I'm a Novice at Hardware / Software Trouble Shooting and Flashing is certainly not a repair function I would undertake without some assurance that what I suspect, is in fact the reason my Plextor PX-L890SA Drive is currently and for the past nine months, a good dust collector. My apologies if I'm in the wrong Site and the wrong Forum. Best regards, Mike Lynch

Last edited:

Dicko316

VIP Member
Dec 13, 2010
North East/UK
You can cross flash it to an Lite-on ihas 124 as long as its is a 'B' version drive only, not an A or C version, but seems as it isn't detected in windows then you probably would have to do it in dos.

I've never tried this myself, so your on your own there.

Should find everything you need here.
http://codeguys.rpc1.org/index.html

There are other ways like taking it to a friends and flashing it there, buying other hardware, or sending it to someone to flash for you. But I presume you just want the cheapest method?

Reactions: Mike Lynch

Mike Lynch

Noob Account
Oct 2, 2012
I appreciate you quick and concise response. I'll start down that road today! Best regards, Mike Lynch

KILLorBE

Apr 4, 2006
Them Netherlands
It's very unlikely that flashing the drive will fix the problem as it happens with all kinds of drives.

It's indeed a problem with XP, I've had this happen as well.
Not sure how I fixed it (long time ago), but I probably did a fresh XP install.

You could try to uninstall SP3 and then re-install SP3.

Maybe you should ask at MyCE (Formerly known as CDFreaks), lots of knowledgeable (and friendly) people that know just about everything when it comes to optical drives, media, cross/flashing and related stuff/problems.