Found a way to UNLOCK hard drives

UPEngineer

Dec 22, 2004
Chickasha, OK
I screwed up and locked my HDD and my mobo got fried. Got a 200 gig Maxtor HD that essentially was a paperweight.

Searching the net I found the following website:

http://www.hdd-tools.com/products/rrs/

You must make the locked drive the secondary master and disable auto detect in bios, and disable secondary port in Windows XP.

They make a utility to make sure it is locked and if it is you buy an unlock for 49.50.

Took about 15 minutes and low and behold it worked!!!!!!!!

If for some reason it don't, they refund your money.

After doing this, I reformatted on my PC and then put it back into my xbox and it works great (and didn't lock it this time :) )

rkolech

Feb 17, 2005
Ontario, Canada
It Worked! It Worked! It Worked!

Well, good news! This is the best $50 I have ever spent.
The program worked like a charm, I used it to unlock the drive.
Not only was I able to slavage my 160GB drive, but after unlocking it I put it right back into the XBOX and everything worked! I had all my apps, all my games, all my files. All I have to do is reset the clock!

Thanks for the tip! :)

My Drive Info:
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 (160GB)
Model: 6Y160P0
Time to Unlock the drive: Under 30sec.

Last edited:

Whitey00

Jun 7, 2005
i just put a 250 gig in my xbox and now my xbox is broke...i cant just put it in another xbox and unlock it??

UPEngineer

Dec 22, 2004
Chickasha, OK
Not if it was locked with the XBOX that was broken and not if you didn't save your eeprom information.

If you didn't then go to the website and get your drive unlocked and then put it into another xbox.

UPEngineer

Dec 22, 2004
Chickasha, OK
Good luck, but it ain't gonna happen. Trust me I have searched high and low and run just about every program ever written with no luck.

Good luck

Whitey00

Jun 7, 2005
that sux..hehe...i dont see why you cant use that slayers or something that boots instantly....has a lock and unlock tool

digthebox

VIP Member
Dec 2, 2004
UK
Whitey00 said:
that sux..hehe...i dont see why you cant use that slayers or something that boots instantly....has a lock and unlock tool
Whitey00 and Rj4eva - congratulations you have just jointly won the "MISSING THE POINT" award 2005. :)

Yes Slayers does have a lock/unlock tool, so does UnleashX, Configmagic - it's all widely availbile xbox software to lock/unlock your hard drive.

Unfortunately due to the way lock codes are generated. If you lock you hard drive on your existing motherboard, then your motherboard blows up and you put the disk in another xbox you will not be able to unlock it on that different motherboard. That then means a new hard drive(lose all your data) or a service like these people offer. Locking is meant to be a security measure, wouldn't be very secure if any motherboard or machine could unlock it.

These people charge about $50 to unlock your drive, why would people be paying it if slayers could do it? This service they office is well worth the money and according to reports it works!

Last edited:

rkolech

Feb 17, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I tried using the Slayer unlock utility before I bought the $50 service, and I can tell you that it won't work, as far as I know this is the only option.

If you decide to pay (or find a free way, even better) I recommend you go into X3 ConfigLive, go to Hardware Info and choose to create the x3data.txt file, this will have the lock code the drive was locked with, put this txt file on your PC just in case. With that code you will be able to unlock the Drive if your xbox was to fail again in the future.

digthebox

VIP Member
Dec 2, 2004
UK
rkolech said:
I tried using the Slayer unlock utility before I bought the $50 service, and I can tell you that it won't work, as far as I know this is the only option.

If you decide to pay (or find a free way, even better) I recommend you go into X3 ConfigLive, go to Hardware Info and choose to create the x3data.txt file, this will have the lock code the drive was locked with, put this txt file on your PC just in case. With that code you will be able to unlock the Drive if your xbox was to fail again in the future.
that's pretty sound advice mate. Always have a copy of your lock codes handy for such an emergency.

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
digthebox said:
that's pretty sound advice mate. Always have a copy of your lock codes handy for such an emergency.
ConfigMagic is so good that you don't even need to go that far.

Just by unlocking or locking your HDD using ConfigMagic, it sets a master password of TEAMASSEMBLY, meaning that the drive can be unlocked using a normal PC(DOS) program called ATAPWD. Even if you lose the user password, you can still recover.

Martin