Found a way to UNLOCK hard drives

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
Unless you manually attempted to flash another EEPROM, you wouldn't have any other information to replace your current one.

All stock HDDs are locked when shipped in the Xbox. The EEPROM uses the key within to unlock it. If you haven't unlocked this HDD at any time, then it's still locked to this specification. The only thing that could've changed is your Xbox EEPROM image.

This isn't as drastic as it looks. It's only a HDD and a stock one at that. You may need to concede to losing the data currently on it. Take any blank unlocked HDD and boot it up. You should be able to get to X3 configlive. Try going into the option to restore EEPROM data. After this, try the stock HDD again. If it still shows error 6, then installt the blank HDD and using an install disk (Slayers 2.6 is a good choice), format and reinstall the Xbox dashboard files (and anything else you need). Get a new copy of ConfigMagic from Xbins and use this to lock the HDD.

Martin

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
Well yes you could try it, but be aware that the copy on the X3 chip may not solve the problem.

If it doesn't then you haven't really lost anything. Put the 1.0 HDD back in it's Xbox and lock it, then get a replacement HDD for the 1.6.

Martin

aliman

Apr 17, 2004
Canada
Hi Martin, I've decided against trying to reboot the v1.6 with the v1.0's HDD for fear of ruining my now working v1.0. So I orderd an unlocked replacement Xbox HDD from Llamma.com, should be here within a week.
Thanks for your input Martin, I'll keep you posted on my success when the replacement HDD arrives.
Thanks again Al

divemate

Noob Account
Nov 20, 2005
Llamas Stock Hard Drive Info Works

I just wanted to let everyone who did not know that the info posted on Llama's site does work to unlock the stock WD drives and the rubber jacketed Seagates. I have unlocked about 10 of them today.

dw5304

Noob Account
Dec 17, 2006
ok this goes out to everyone that has a locked hdd. i have and had the same problem as every one listed here. if the mother board is dead and u want to use the hdd that is locked then all u have to do is buy the same version of the motherboard that u have. unsoder the bios chip from both motherboards and replace it with the old one. resoder the chip and then boot xbox. problems solved xbox should boot with no problems.

this gose for the xbox v1.0 - xbox v1.6 the xbox bios for the v 1.6 is located just to the right of the lPC point. the unber on the board id U7D1.

all u have to do is make shure u put it back in the same way that i came out. there is a dot on the chip the dot should be faceing twards the U on the mother board.

i have done this now about 30 - 40 times and works great. just need some desodreing experance.

tools needed
1. flux
2. desoder wick
3. soldering gun
4. needle to pry on the tabs of the bios chip
5. soder
6.t10,t15

instructions on doing.
step one dissasemble broken xbox
step two place flux on motherboard along side of bios chip
step three place desolder wick on chip, then place soldering gun on desolder wick to remove most solder
step four remove desolder wick
setp five place needle inbetween one tab and heat with soldering gun with minimun force push the needle twards the chip. the tab should seperate from the board.
step six repeat step five till all tabs are removed there are 8 of them
step seven put bios chip somewhere you can find it latter
step eight do the same to the new xbox execpt take note of where the dot on the chip is.
step nine replace the new bios with the old bios, use some more flux to make shure the soder dose not stick to all tabs. making shure the dot is located by the U and resoder chip.
step ten plug power into the psu and hook up to tv.
step 11. turn on xbox if the xbox errors u got the bios replaced and reassemble the xbox.
step 12. if the xbox dose not display make shure all tabs are soldered to the mother board.
step 13. if xbox still wont boot repeat all steps agin

i hope this will help all who are not wanting to spending the 50$ on having the xbox hdd sent in and repaired.

thanks agin
dw5304
any questions email to [email protected]
p.s. i am not responciable for your mistakes, u take all responcibility for doing this

Last edited:

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
dw5304 said:
ok this goes out to everyone that has a locked hdd. i have and had the same problem as every one listed here. if the mother board is dead and u want to use the hdd that is locked then all u have to do is buy the same version of the motherboard that u have. unsoder the bios chip from both motherboards and replace it with the old one. resoder the chip and then boot xbox. problems solved xbox should boot with no problems.

this gose for the xbox v1.0 - xbox v1.6 the xbox bios for the v 1.6 is located just to the right of the lPC point. the unber on the board id U7D1.

all u have to do is make shure u put it back in the same way that i came out. there is a dot on the chip the dot should be faceing twards the U on the mother board.

i have done this now about 30 - 40 times and works great. just need some desodreing experance.

tools needed
1. flux
2. desoder wick
3. soldering gun
4. needle to pry on the tabs of the bios chip
5. soder
6.t10,t15

instructions on doing.
step one dissasemble broken xbox
step two place flux on motherboard along side of bios chip
step three place desolder wick on chip, then place soldering gun on desolder wick to remove most solder
step four remove desolder wick
setp five place needle inbetween one tab and heat with soldering gun with minimun force push the needle twards the chip. the tab should seperate from the board.
step six repeat step five till all tabs are removed there are 8 of them
step seven put bios chip somewhere you can find it latter
step eight do the same to the new xbox execpt take note of where the dot on the chip is.
step nine replace the new bios with the old bios, use some more flux to make shure the soder dose not stick to all tabs. making shure the dot is located by the U and resoder chip.
step ten plug power into the psu and hook up to tv.
step 11. turn on xbox if the xbox errors u got the bios replaced and reassemble the xbox.
step 12. if the xbox dose not display make shure all tabs are soldered to the mother board.
step 13. if xbox still wont boot repeat all steps agin

i hope this will help all who are not wanting to spending the 50$ on having the xbox hdd sent in and repaired.

thanks agin
dw5304
any questions email to [email protected]
p.s. i am not responciable for your mistakes, u take all responcibility for doing this
Don't refer to the EEPROM as the BIOS - it confuses people!

Yes of course this will work, seeing as the EEPROM stores the user password for the ATA Security.

If you don't have the motherboard then other methods will work, such as the program which was being advertised previously.

The best fail-safe for this is to unlock and lock your harddrive with ConfigMagic as soon as possible. You'll create a master password of TEAMASSEMBLY, meaning you can unlock this drive on a PC at any time should your motherboard die.

Unless you're using your Xbox for Live, the best thing to do is leave the HDD unlocked! It solves the problem outright.

x50x

Noob Account
Dec 12, 2006
i have my xbox's hd info in a text document and my motherboard isnt dead the only problem is that i dont have a dash on the hd so it wont unlock is their n e way i can use this info to unlock my hd without spending money?

Disk Serial Number : "5JRCWTP9 "
Disk Model Number : "ST310014A "
HDD Key : 9b:e9:22:c7:d6:b3:ad:4e
eb:2c:b3:15:11:e9:5a:59
4e:a3:f3:db:00:00:00:00
00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00

HDDLockDisablePassword 9b e9 22 c7 d6 b3 ad 4e eb 2c b3 15 11 e9 5a 59 4e a3 f3 db 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

XboxHDKey 6e 20 50 e4 ff 4b af 4b ac 2a eb 85 14 9c 9a 83

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
x50x said:
i have my xbox's hd info in a text document and my motherboard isnt dead the only problem is that i dont have a dash on the hd so it wont unlock is their n e way i can use this info to unlock my hd without spending money?

Disk Serial Number : "5JRCWTP9 "
Disk Model Number : "ST310014A "
HDD Key : 9b:e9:22:c7:d6:b3:ad:4e
eb:2c:b3:15:11:e9:5a:59
4e:a3:f3:db:00:00:00:00
00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00

HDDLockDisablePassword 9b e9 22 c7 d6 b3 ad 4e eb 2c b3 15 11 e9 5a 59 4e a3 f3 db 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

XboxHDKey 6e 20 50 e4 ff 4b af 4b ac 2a eb 85 14 9c 9a 83
If you boot using something like Slayers 2.6, you should be able to restore the MS dash that way.

Unlocking the HDD won't help to get the dash onto it.

Martin

pimpMyxb

Feb 14, 2007
I've done lots of reading and though there might be a solution already posted I haven't seen it. Here's my situation,

I have one box that is v1.6 with an X3CE chip and a 120gig Maxtor drive. The drive has been locked by the previous owner. The motherboard is fine but the chip on this one has died and also the wiring for the mod is fried too, I think a trace or two is bad. It will still boot to the M$ dash though.

I have a second box, freshly modded, v1.0 that has X3CE chip and bios 3294 with a stock WD drive, still locked.

I want to attempt to swap the 120g Maxtor hdd with all of its contents to the newly modded 1.0 box. And in turn put the stock drive into the 1.6 box and just have it as a plain jane box.

I've got a boot disk created with all the atapwd, hdunlock, etc. on it and I was going to attempt to unlock the 120 gig drive hoping that the previous owner might have locked it with configmagic. Chances are, he didn't.

So what could possibly be my options? My situation seems to be a bit different in that the motherboard in my 1.6 is still operational, it's just the chip that's died.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

pimpMyxb

Feb 14, 2007
pimpMyxb said:
I've got a boot disk created with all the atapwd, hdunlock, etc. on it and I was going to attempt to unlock the 120 gig drive hoping that the previous owner might have locked it with configmagic. Chances are, he didn't.
Update, I was able to unlock the 120 gig drive. Turns out TEAMASSEMBLY was the password afterall. Didn't even use the hdunlock app, did it all with atapwd. I am one happy camper!!!

Now I just have to get the stock hdd into my old 1.6 box just so I'll have a "stock" box.

ironhuff

Noob Account
Mar 20, 2005
mkprk said:
Im trying to unlock using atapwd but when I enter the master password it says its ok but when I reboot theres still + + + - - h, how do I get rid of the other pluses?
Wahoo! The atapwd.exe worked for me using the TEAMASSEMBLY password. I was having the same issue as above. There are two things that have to be done. First unlock using "UNLOCK WITH MASTER PASSWORD" the master password (TEAMASSEMBLY) then "DISABLE WITH MASTER PASSWORD".

If you just do the "UNLOCK WITH MASTER PASSWORD" you will have + + - - - h. When you put it back into your xbox, the drive will return back to + + + - - h and gave me error code 07 instead of 06 once i did that. After doing both steps, I can now get to all my stuff (was getting that sick feeling of loosing 90+ games)

Also, I used SLAYERs EVOX 2.6 to lock my drive which is a 320BG Western Digital WD3200 drive.

So, it is confirmed that if EVOX was used to lock your drive, you can unlock it using the above and save yourself $50.

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
The master password of TEAMASSEMBLY is only set if you use ConfigMagic (seeing as it's Team Assembly who wrote it!!).

Evox sets no such master password so in order for the above to have worked for you, you must have either locked or unlocked your 320GB HDD using this utility.

This is why I stress to people to use this tool for locking HDDs!!!

Martin

dogrox

Apr 19, 2004
Yo, I found a way to erase the security level of stock drive. I researched this and found that a stock drive form XBOX that is locked is set to maxiumn level. Which I am sure everyone knows, and that if you dont have the orginal password to unlock it is impossible to unlock it with out going through some service. Or do a complete security erase, which i am also sure everyone else knows about :eek:) And it will erase the whole drive and you are warned that it will leave the drive in an UNLOCKED state! But with the security level to maxium and no password is available to unlock it you may have no other choice.

I found a program that will completely erase the whole drive. I figured for a 8-10 gig stock drive there isnt much on it to really need to save (except for needed save games,) so in order to resuse it in other xbox or even say a PC.. one needs to erase it completely.

I think that if you wanted to say use a stock xbox hdd that is just laying around being a paperweight, save games isnt important. and why not put it to good use.

The program i have found is hdat2 and it worked.. i used it on two old stock drives i had clucking around in the closet and it does indeed work.

Now they can put in a xbox and reformated it and put the dash back on it .. and it is all set!!!

Reactions: mmicrosysm

kevinspruill

Noob Account
Aug 9, 2005
well, this is interesting, i never remember using config magic, always unlocked/locked via evox. i had an old 2.6CE chip on my old xbox 1.0, but i was able to unlock my 200gb maxtor drive with TEAMASSEMBLY via atapwd. worth a shot to try before puttin down $50

Last edited:

DLew

Jan 8, 2005
DC
dogrox,
What version of hdat2 did you use? What is your exact procedure? I have tried with no success!!! If it works please help....

DLew

Jan 8, 2005
DC
Well as far as hdat2 goes, I'm going to have to say that it does not work.
I have gotten no response from dogrox and I seemed to have wasted my time
trying with no success. I guess just stick with the paid program.

dogrox

Apr 19, 2004
Dlew.. sorry i didnt get your message till now.. i havent been able to load this site for quite while now.. .. i just noticed today that it is back up and running.. and i caught yuot message... it DOES work.. i downloaded the H2DAT from thier site.. it is the lates they have on thier site...

IT was awhile back i did it .. back last summer.. I KNOW i did three different drives from old broken xboxes.. i hooked them to the computer. as SLAVE.. to the primary master.. and then loaded up H2DAT from a floppy.. it found the drive..and if i recall said do you want to do a full erase.. or somethign.. i forget excatly NOW like i say it was awhile ago..... but i know there is some menu items on the bottom of the screen of h2dat.. and you cant really miss the one.. about the secourity... just go into that and it will say THIS WILLLEAVE YOUR DRIVE UNLOCKED !!.. and just continue!!.. that worked!.. then you just reformt drive and you can use it on the PC!! :)