TX Product(s) used: DemoN, CR Rev A
Console Type: Jasper
NAND size: 512mb
Dashboard version: 2.0.16203.0
CB version: 6754
Screenshot of NAND details from J-Runner
Images of Soldering
Description of Problem:

I have recently installed a DemoN and everything seems to check out in terms of booting and switching nands, but my console seems to freeze up around 5-10 minutes into playing games. I looked around a bit and people usually seem to have this problem with RGH setups if their CPU_RST line isn't a shielded cable or if there is a hole in the rubber casing etc. I also saw that people on retail nands would freeze up if their drive was dying in one way or another (laser, motor, etc.). I had to fix a lifted pad on pll_bypass by soldering to the alt point while installing everything and that seems to be the only thing the two consoles would have in common that could cause freezing across both nands. Unless, of course, I have both a bad drive AND a bad CPU_RST line. Is there anything else that I could be missing that's worth a try to fix the freezing?

Thanks for reading,
Abbott

Edit: Dunno if it's worth mentioning but I'm able to watch Netflix without any problems on retail NAND, it only freezes up when playing games.

Last edited:

Abbotta4

Jan 31, 2011
Erie, PA
I just tried replacing the paste and I'm still freezing. I used Arctic Silver which seems to be universally approved here. Is there anything else I can try?

I took pictures of how much paste I applied in case you guys wanted to see:
photo (1).JPG photo.JPG

Edit: I had to re-seat the pll bypass alt point joint under the GPU heatsink when I reinstalled the paste because the pressure on the hot glue supporting the joint ironically caused it to break. After adjusting the pll bypass fix line the console now freezes closer to booting. I am assuming this is the source of my problems but what does not make sense to me is that if the line is connected enough to boot, shouldn't it be connected enough to do anything else?

Thanks,
Abbott

Last edited:

Abbotta4

Jan 31, 2011
Erie, PA
The pictures I am getting of the pll bypass are not very clear because of the hot glue I am applying over the joints. I figure the joint will break and I will risk lifting something if I try removing the hot glue for a good picture. I have inquiried some users on the forums about the cost of a repair but I just want to make sure that a weak pll bypass fix would actually be the problem here, or if I am looking at something larger than just my pll bypass fix. If you guys would still like pictures I will gladly try removing the glue and edit my post to add the pictures.

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
That's not a good idea at all - you should never put hot glue on solder points. Support the wire or area with Kapton or electrical tape, but not any type of glue. If you're worried your soldering won't hold then resolder it.

Abbotta4

Jan 31, 2011
Erie, PA
I only hot glued the joints because it was advised in Ubergeek's tutorial I linked to in the OP. I will try resoldering the points again and posting back here.

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
So after doing your repairs and covering the points with a substance almost impossible to remove without causing damage, did you run the console for a few hours to make sure it still worked ok as stock?

Abbotta4

Jan 31, 2011
Erie, PA
I had already installed the DemoN by the time I had realized I had to repair pll_bypass but after flashing stock to the board side, I tested that side for ~45 minutes playing Halo 4 and it seemed to work fine. It was only after said testing that I glued the repair.

I just unscrewed my heatsinks and upon flipping the board over i saw that my GND line on the DemoN had been damaged. I am repairing that now and then I will post back about whether or not that was the problem.

Edit: The GND line was it! My console is booting and running fine now. Thanks everyone for helping me troubleshoot!

Last edited: