Get game updates from a second switch without updating emunand?

Elliander

Oct 27, 2018
Hi, I'm getting a second switch and plan to keep that one official (for a while at least) to download updates officially. From there I would like to transfer the updates to the Switch using SX Pro. However, this officially requires that both switches have the same firmware and, for obvious reasons, I would rather not update to 6.2 just yet.

Since updates are downloaded to the microSD card I was wondering if there was some way to use that in SX Pro to install the updates manually, without having to download them from a 3rd party.

Alternatively, might there be some way of spoofing the custom firmware version in emuNAND? or will there be? If I could just present a 6.1 Switch as 6.2 it would allow the official transfer of game updates easily.

If this is not possible, than my alternative question is about how to update the emuNAND without using auto RCM and without screwing up the sysNAND. I mean, if I update the emuNAND to 6.2 (after it's officially supported by SX OS, of course) without Auto RCM that would mean that whenever I boot into sysNAND next the eFuses would burn, right? But if sysNAND is on 6.1 and emuNAND is on 6.2 and then it boots to 6.1 and burns the eFuses, wouldn't that mean that the eFuses don't match and thus cause the system to panic? Basically, treating the official firmware as if I downgraded it? If that is the case, couldn't I update both the sysNAND and emuNAND to the same version, and not worry about the eFuses? Granted, this means I won't be able to downgrade, but I am more worried about the battery drain issues from auto RCM anyway, or have those been fixed? and it's not like I can just choose not to boot into sysNAND - I get an error every other day on SX Pro that forces it to reboot into sysNAND.

If I was to update both sysNAND and emuNAND together, without worrying about eFuses - but wanting to be able to restore to a virgin state in case I want to take that Switch official in the future, would there be a simple way of removing the old emuNAND and creating a new emuNAND and then restoring all the installed content from the old emuNAND?

Obviously, the best solution (for me) would be to stay on 6.1 and find some unofficial way of transferring update files from an unmodified Switch on the latest firmware to a modified Switch on 6.1 FW.

imprezgc8

Bannnnnn-Kai!
Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
Nov 26, 2007
The Cloud
There is a lot happening here. I'll try to answer the best I can, but not necessarily in order haha. Sorry. The first issue you would run into for sure I believe is that if put the SD card from one switch into another it will ask you to format the CD card(double check that, but I am sure it will). You would need to be able to get the updates off the SD card via your computer and then I believe convert them so that SX can read them as updates. Without saying to much because piracy talk is not allowed and I do not want to get banned, it would be more time effective to just try and find the game updates for the games you own and want to play even though you mention not wanting to do that.

Before doing anything on the second switch (if you are going to attempt CFW or anything related at all) I would advise to make a full nand backup to ensure you have a "clean" backup. Also note that does not mean if you ever ever restore it back that you will be guaranteed to not get the second switch banned. As for your original switch, if you never made a back up before you started using CFW then there really is no way to ensure you have a "clean" nand backup from that.

If you are running an emunand on either switch, updating emunand will not effect the OFW. Would be better at this point to keep both switches on 6.1 the highest unless you are going to play the second switch online of course. You won't have a choice then.

Autorcm is really only required if you want to make sure you never boot to OFW by accident. If you are not worried about that you of course do no need to enable it, but almost everyone running emunand leaves it on since they more than likely do not want their fuses to burn. If you are not worried about that then of course again you can turn it off. Hopefully this helps you a little at least. Sorry if it doesn't. There was a lot to read through at once haha.

Elliander

Oct 27, 2018
There is a lot happening here. I'll try to answer the best I can, but not necessarily in order haha.
I totally understand :)

You would need to be able to get the updates off the SD card via your computer and then I believe convert them so that SX can read them as updates.
So, does that mean there is a tool for creating a .NSP file from an existing game update folder? If so, that would be perfect! Especially since, in addition to updating the first Switch, I'd like to be able to maintain backups in case an SD card ever went bad. Can you reference such a program?

it would be more time effective to just try and find the game updates for the games you own and want to play even though you mention not wanting to do that.
It's not that I don't want to do that, it's that for the games I own there just aren't recent update files in the wild that I can find. Of course, now that someone (probably Nintendo) is injecting malicious code into games like the Music Industry used to do on Napster, and there's no program to scan a file for malicious code, I have no way of knowing if someone decided to inject malicious code into a game update, so even if it was available I think I would still prefer to just create the files myself.

Although, now that I think about it, there must be a tool for exporting installed games, DLC, and updates for files to get into the wild to begin with, so I should be able to do the same without modifying the online Switch.

Before doing anything on the second switch (if you are going to attempt CFW or anything related at all) I would advise to make a full nand backup to ensure you have a "clean" backup. Also note that does not mean if you ever ever restore it back that you will be guaranteed to not get the second switch banned. As for your original switch, if you never made a back up before you started using CFW then there really is no way to ensure you have a "clean" nand backup from that.
Oh, I know. For my first Switch, I updated to 6.1 and setup the user profiles online and then put it into airplane mode and then created the NAND backup. If I thought there was zero ban risk, I'd update the games in the OFW and - since the update files go to the microSD card anyway with what I suspect would be console key information - then expect the update files to work in the emuNAND.

For the second Switch, I am going to make sure to buy one that can use SX Pro in the future, but for now I want to keep CFW and Homebrew from touching it so there would be zero ban risk.

If you are running an emunand on either switch, updating emunand will not effect the OFW. Would be better at this point to keep both switches on 6.1 the highest unless you are going to play the second switch online of course. You won't have a choice then.
The issue with that solution, of course, is that since there doesn't appear to be any game carts with 6.1 on them I'd have to use homebrew to install the updates which, being on OFW, would probably give the second Switch a higher ban risk than the first one. and then, of course, the second Switch will need to go online often to get the game updates.

Autorcm is really only required if you want to make sure you never boot to OFW by accident. If you are not worried about that you of course do no need to enable it, but almost everyone running emunand leaves it on since they more than likely do not want their fuses to burn. If you are not worried about that then of course again you can turn it off. Hopefully this helps you a little at least. Sorry if it doesn't. There was a lot to read through at once haha.
yeah, I am not worried about the fuses burning. The only type of downgrade I'd want to be able to perform is to restore the emuNAND to a clean state. If there was no way to otherwise get the updates from one Switch to another, I'd probably want to find some way to backup everything installed on the emuNAND and then just restore the NAND to the untouched state, update to the latest firmware (after, of course, it's supported by SX OS), and then create the emuNAND again and then restore those backed up files. Though, not quite sure how to backup and restore manually like that.

imprezgc8

Bannnnnn-Kai!
Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
Nov 26, 2007
The Cloud
I am not sure of any tools myself to convert any files, but there must be one since people are able to get updates as nsp files. Sorry I can't be of more help. I am just not that familiar with how the game updates are being extracted.

Elliander

Oct 27, 2018
Well, I know that people used to download them directly from Nintendo on PCs using keys before they were all burned and now aren't likely to work anymore. I just hope that's not the only way.