Going online with your Nintendo Switch.

AstigB

Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
I haven't seen a comprehensive thread detailing going online so I decided to post what I do and spark conversation to make us all safer out there.

As I write this Game_Over's mantra of "If you go online, you risk being banned full stop." is in the back of my mind. Which is completely true. There is no fail safe method. So don't blame me in you do get banned. However we can reduce that risk if we take a few precautions.

This is how I reduce the risk of being banned while playing online.

1. Disabling autorcm

2. Using sysnand created from nand backup for online and Emunand offline (obviously).

3. Only going online with cartrage in. Or eshop purchases from my account. (No dumps). (Again obviously).

4. Having two sd cards. One only for OFW and the other only for SXOS. So I can't boot SXOS at all if I have stock sd card in. But I need to remove SXOS (Emunand) card from switch before booting OFW. Just in case Nintendo tries to look at my sd card contents.

5. Two wifi network settings. One for OFW. One for Emunand. Emunand wifi has .nintendo.net blocked on dns level. (But allow ctest.cdn.nintendo.net or wifi wont connect). So impossible to go online from within Emunand. (Note this may no longer be needed with new stealth mode upgrades).

6. Only play online with Emunand using xlink kai.

This seems to be the safest method I can think of. Still playing online no problems. Let me know if I have missed anything. Or you have any suggestions for others.

Last edited:
Reactions: Feragruv

Mohazy

Noob Account
Oct 6, 2019
Hasa
I haven't seen a comprehensive thread detailing going online so I decided to post what I do and spark conversation to make us all safer out there.

As I write this Game_Over's mantra of "If you go online, you risk being banned full stop." is in the back of my mind. Which is completely true. There is no fail safe method. So don't blame me in you do get banned. However we can reduce that risk if we take a few precautions.

This is how I reduce the risk of being banned while playing online.

1. Disabling autorcm

2. Using sysnand created from nand backup for online and Emunand offline (obviously).

3. Only going online with cartrage in. Or eshop purchases from my account. (No dumps). (Again obviously).

4. Having two sd cards. One only for OFW and the other only for SXOS. So I can't boot SXOS at all if I have stock sd card in. But I need to remove SXOS (Emunand) card from switch before booting OFW. Just in case Nintendo tries to look at my sd card contents.

5. Two wifi network settings. One for OFW. One for Emunand. Emunand wifi has .nintendo.net blocked on dns level. (But allow ctest.cdn.nintendo.net or wifi wont connect). So impossible to go online from within Emunand. (Note this may no longer be needed with new stealth mode upgrades).

6. Only play online with Emunand using xlink kai.

This seems to be the safest method I can think of. Still playing online no problems. Let me know if I have missed anything. Or you have any suggestions for others.
nice!
but i have some noob questions:
So i am on 8.0.1.
1- Can i go online on sysnand with restored clean backup of the nand and offline emunand with 8.0.1?
or i have to be update to 9.0.1 ? if i have so, how can i update OFW to latest update and keeping the emunand on old update?
and please can you clearly point #4 more ?

Sorry so much questions on my head, but i just got this unpatched switch with 8.0.1 CLEAN and i want to start clean

AstigB

Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Ha all good my friend, noob questions are perfect. That why I posted this. To ask noob questions and not make noob mistakes. I will make it a bit clearer.

Yes you can have ofw 9.0.1 and emunand 8.1.0 no problems. They are completely separate, that is the purpose of emunand and it is very well done. Thanks TX.

You will need to update to 9.0.1 in order to play online. If you have autorcm disabled, then you can just update ofw using the updates from nintendo. Note, please turn off auto updates though. Always best to have the option not to update. Also using nintendo to update will burn fuses. This is not a problem for regular users, but be aware that you will NOT be able to downgrade your ofw after using this method.

Right so #4 means the I NEVER boot into ofw with my sd card that has my emunand and boot file on it. I have one sd card for sxos and another sd card that has never been used for sxos, only ever used on ofw. This mean that if nintendo ever get sneaky enough to check sd card files. They would look for files like boot or folders called sx, switch, emunintendo etc. So a clean sd card will not have these.

But because it doesn't have my boot or license files, I cannot boot sxos from my clean sd card. So when I want to go online
1. Power down Switch
2. Remove SXOS sd card
3. Insert clean sd card.
4. Hit power botton

If I want to go back to sxos
1. Power down switch
2. Remove clean sd card
3. Insert SXOS sd card
4. Insert jig + payload injector
5. Hold vol +
6. Hit power, release vol +

AstigB

Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Oh damn sorry I forgot one important issue as well....

Ofw's 9.0.0 and above have the game slot and controller updates in it.

Think of it like a driver update on your pc. So even within Emunand the hardware is updated.

Hence you will not be able to use your card slot in Emunand 8.1.0. Also you will need to get the latest versions of your homebrew apps that have been recompiled to use updated controllers.

But other than that you are good to go.

TubeBar

Aug 6, 2018
in my opinion the risk is very low if you only go online w ofw and a clean sd card if you are running emunand. In that case Nintendo can’t see anything if there’s nothing there but not sure it’s 100% safe.

The risk is going online in cfw , playing a pirate xci or nsp online then you will probably at some point get banned.

The only way I have done it and avoided a ban was restoring ofw NAND and always kept my switch in airplane mode when in cfw. Keep in mind Nintendo is always changing so hard to say in future what works now may not later. I just wound up buying another switch I use for legit only and keep my 2 hacked ones offline.

Last edited:

AstigB

Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Yeah I agree. I was more thinking of future proofing my set up I guess. But you are right it is Nintendo and not Microsoft so the ban hammer may not be as eager to strike.

Ha I forgot to mention the most obvious method of keep CFW offline, so I'm glad you mentioned it. Airplane Mode. I use is too. I just have .nintendo.net blocked in case I use FTP on play on xlink with my backups. But I will add Airplane mode to the list, thanks.

Yes the multiple Switch method is the ultimate solution. As soon as my wife stops spending all my money, I think I'll get another switch and keep it stock for online. Ha.

Mohazy

Noob Account
Oct 6, 2019
Hasa
Ha all good my friend, noob questions are perfect. That why I posted this. To ask noob questions and not make noob mistakes. I will make it a bit clearer.

Yes you can have ofw 9.0.1 and emunand 8.1.0 no problems. They are completely separate, that is the purpose of emunand and it is very well done. Thanks TX.

You will need to update to 9.0.1 in order to play online. If you have autorcm disabled, then you can just update ofw using the updates from nintendo. Note, please turn off auto updates though. Always best to have the option not to update. Also using nintendo to update will burn fuses. This is not a problem for regular users, but be aware that you will NOT be able to downgrade your ofw after using this method.

Right so #4 means the I NEVER boot into ofw with my sd card that has my emunand and boot file on it. I have one sd card for sxos and another sd card that has never been used for sxos, only ever used on ofw. This mean that if nintendo ever get sneaky enough to check sd card files. They would look for files like boot or folders called sx, switch, emunintendo etc. So a clean sd card will not have these.

But because it doesn't have my boot or license files, I cannot boot sxos from my clean sd card. So when I want to go online
1. Power down Switch
2. Remove SXOS sd card
3. Insert clean sd card.
4. Hit power botton

If I want to go back to sxos
1. Power down switch
2. Remove clean sd card
3. Insert SXOS sd card
4. Insert jig + payload injector
5. Hold vol +
6. Hit power, release vol +
ok, what will effect me if i got fuse burn duo to normal update ? And how can i update OFW manually (offline) to prevent fuse of burning ?

AstigB

Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
The only major issue with burning fuses that I know of is you will not be able to downgrade your OFW after fuses are burnt.

Let's say for arguments sake (because I honestly don't know how it works exactly) that 9.0.0 has 5 burnt fuses, but 8.0.0 has 4. Then if you try to downgrade to 8 after installing 9 then the switch may crash because too many fuses are burnt so it is look for a higher firmware.

For the record though if you were planning on downgrading, it would almost certainly get you flagged for a ban.

So to answer your question... for you, you have nothing to worry about burnt fuses.

But if you are worried you can boot sxos without Emunand enabled and update sysnand (ofw) with Choi same as you would your Emunand.

I cannot tell you weather or not this method is safe for online play.

I update OFW through Nintendo's servers and burn my fuses. But the choice is yours my friend.

Mohazy

Noob Account
Oct 6, 2019
Hasa
The only major issue with burning fuses that I know of is you will not be able to downgrade your OFW after fuses are burnt.

Let's say for arguments sake (because I honestly don't know how it works exactly) that 9.0.0 has 5 burnt fuses, but 8.0.0 has 4. Then if you try to downgrade to 8 after installing 9 then the switch may crash because too many fuses are burnt so it is look for a higher firmware.

For the record though if you were planning on downgrading, it would almost certainly get you flagged for a ban.

So to answer your question... for you, you have nothing to worry about burnt fuses.

But if you are worried you can boot sxos without Emunand enabled and update sysnand (ofw) with Choi same as you would your Emunand.

I cannot tell you weather or not this method is safe for online play.

I update OFW through Nintendo's servers and burn my fuses. But the choice is yours my friend.

just for my info:

each time i want to play online i have to restore my nand ?

AstigB

Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
just for my info:

each time i want to play online i have to restore my nand ?
No. Only once, before going online the first time after using sxos.

If you restored your nand backup before booting back into OFW, you first time you booted sxos then you are good to go.

If not and you have updated using Nintendo's servers since then, then it is too late. You may have been flagged. You may not, only Nintendo knows for sure.

Mohazy

Noob Account
Oct 6, 2019
Hasa
No. Only once, before going online the first time after using sxos.

If you restored your nand backup before booting back into OFW, you first time you booted sxos then you are good to go.

If not and you have updated using Nintendo's servers since then, then it is too late. You may have been flagged. You may not, only Nintendo knows for sure.
what i did is:
1- i made a sysnand backup 8.0.1
2- install sx os with emunand diffrent SD card, went inside disable everything dns block airplane mode.
3- removed SD card and everything
4- switch off the device then switch on to OFW
5- connect to the internet and update to 9.0.1 then fly mode again
6- made another sysnand backup with 9.0.1
and untill now didn't boot my sx os

am i good ?

AstigB

Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Oh well. So you have update without a 100% clean sysnand. There is a small risk that you have been flagged for a ban.

I would go for your life online now. You will either be banned or you may slip through the gaps.

A mate of mine updated with autorcm enabled over 6 months ago and has not been banned YET.

Think of it as if you had done everything mention you would be 99% safe. But now you are 90% safe. Just an example, I have no idea how safe you will be. But you know what I mean.

Mohazy

Noob Account
Oct 6, 2019
Hasa
Oh well. So you have update without a 100% clean sysnand. There is a small risk that you have been flagged for a ban.

I would go for your life online now. You will either be banned or you may slip through the gaps.

A mate of mine updated with autorcm enabled over 6 months ago and has not been banned YET.

Think of it as if you had done everything mention you would be 99% safe. But now you are 90% safe. Just an example, I have no idea how safe you will be. But you know what I mean.
what if i restore my clean 8.0.1 clean nand over my 9.0.1 switch ?>
and why should i keep my autorcm on now >

AstigB

Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
what if i restore my clean 8.0.1 clean nand over my 9.0.1 switch ?>
and why should i keep my autorcm on now >
No you will not be able to downgrade sysnand now. Your fuses are burnt and your switch will crash.

It would do no good now anyway because you have already connected to Nintendo's servers. So that damage is done. There is nothing you can do.

Sorry what I meant was that a mate accidentally updated from Nintendo while he had autorcm enabled. This may have resulted in being flagged for a ban as well. But he has since disabled autorcm and has still not been banned. So you may be fine.

Mohazy

Noob Account
Oct 6, 2019
Hasa
No you will not be able to downgrade sysnand now. Your fuses are burnt and your switch will crash.

It would do no good now anyway because you have already connected to Nintendo's servers. So that damage is done. There is nothing you can do.

Sorry what I meant was that a mate accidentally updated from Nintendo while he had autorcm enabled. This may have resulted in being flagged for a ban as well. But he has since disabled autorcm and has still not been banned. So you may be fine.
Been following ur methods with double SD card now a week with no Ban

AstigB

Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Very good my friend. I am glad you haven't been hit with the ban hammer. I think you have slipped through the gaps. But hey we never know what will get us banned. We only know what may.

I have forgotten to remove my HDD before booting into OFW a couple of times now. Played online, updated a game. Haven't been banned.

Maybe Nintendo doesn't look for hard drives attached, maybe they do. Seeing as you have no need for a HDD without a hacked switch. They could just see if one was attached.

It is impossible to be 100% safe. I know what I am doing and I accept the fact that a ban could happen at any moment.

But hey for $20 USD a year it's worth a shot. Less if you split a family account with your mates. Also if I do get banned I will just play on xlink kai. Which works great.

Glad I could have helped you my friend. Enjoy playing online for as long as nintendo lets you and stay safe.

Alchemy.Gaming

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Mar 11, 2019
US
Fuses are irrelevant when you can still boot OFW through the SX bootloader. NEVER disable stealth mode to connect to Ninty servers while in CFW, and you don’t need to configure your router because Stealth Mode is enough. Other than that this post is pretty solid.

Reactions: AstigB

AstigB

Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Fuses are irrelevant when you can still boot OFW through the SX bootloader. NEVER disable stealth mode to connect to Ninty servers while in CFW, and you don’t need to configure your router because Stealth Mode is enough. Other than that this post is pretty solid.
Excellent, thank you for confirming those points for me my friend (y)

Reactions: Alchemy.Gaming