GENERAL Good Soldering Starter Kit for Noobs

ll4sheezy

VIP Member
Oct 8, 2010
Indiana, USA
Just a little help for people that want to learn how to solder. I got this kit when i first started soldering. It comes with everything and it gives you the basic tools and lessons on soldering. This way you don't screw up a perfectly running console. You can find this on ebay as well as a hobby store. If you have issues with completing this kit. I suggest you find a pro to RGH/JTAG you console.

http://www.frys.com/product/6674784?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Xmarksthesh0t

VIP Member
Aug 3, 2011
Birmingham, UK
I started of with leds and killed my controller, do not go into SMD first as that is very small for the naked eye. I recommened getting a proper CSI/HAKKO station which is very good and not some cheap bulid, trust me I have made these mistakes and saving a lil is not worth it mate. Anyways then start of with a sold PCB and go for soldering some big 330 ohm resistors, cost about 1 cent/penny each so not worth to much. Now That I have mastered that I order my wire strippers, tweezers, kynar wire and rapid fire chip into my xbox 360 controller this time feeling quite comfortable doing it, will post how it goes if you want. Just do not cheap out mate trust me I feel in the same man-hole and its quite hard to get out without throwing that away and buying something that is worth it's price.

M

mm53668

I use a 20w soldering iron from Radio Shack. You don't need $100 machine to be able to solder. They just help as you are doing more and more. - Learn first. Then if you feel a station will better suit you then go for it.

Xmarksthesh0t

VIP Member
Aug 3, 2011
Birmingham, UK
True and honestly found about 3 RF modules and will try installing the smd electronics onto them, but yeh its the person not the iron but the tips and the actual heat transfter depends on how good the iron is but if you can take care of it then fair enough and im not saying anything like a $100 even Ubergeek recomeened if I remember correctly the Hakko FX888 which in america is about $70 or less much more here in the uk but anyways the one I got is the Atten 937b or something with you can get from sprakfun for about $40 http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10707 and To be fair If you are looking to get into repairing as a bussiness a station is ideal.

SOD_FrosT

VIP Member
May 14, 2012
Presque Isle, ME
I agree with Midwest, a fairly cheap Iron can be used to grasp the concept. I started off with a non-adjustable iron I bought at WalMart for 10 bucks... practiced with it, invested in a 30 Dollar one made by Weller from Lowes, that has carried me through all my current consoles. I'm just now starting to look into buying an Adjustable station for dedicated electronics work... My Lowe's Iron worked very well and I've been able to do ROL swaps with it, as well as JTag and RGH installs. Pretty good little item for a beginner. Here's a link to the unit I use:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_357336-273-WPS18MP_0__?Ntt=wps18mp&productId=3402986&rpp=16

Also, it wouldn't be a bad idea to invest in a cheap Multimeter as well to test continuity on your circuits once you solder. Even a Walmart or Lowe's Cheapo will do to start with.

tmoney153

Jul 20, 2012
Thanks OP for this thread, I have no solder experience at all, so this would definitely help me. I have a Aoyue 968 rework station that I use for reflows but the solder aspect like a foreign language to me at the moment, hopefully something like this would help me out

ll4sheezy

VIP Member
Oct 8, 2010
Indiana, USA
Thanks OP for this thread, I have no solder experience at all, so this would definitely help me. I have a Aoyue 968 rework station that I use for reflows but the solder aspect like a foreign language to me at the moment, hopefully something like this would help me out
No problem man. When I first started it helped me out alot. It's nothing like getting the little project completed and seeing the lights flashing and the siren going off. gives you the confidence to move on to bigger soldering jobs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: tmoney153