[GUIDE] How to convert *.nsp to *.xci!

Hey,
you may be wondering why anyone would want to convert *.nsp to *.xci
short and simple answer: drag and drop support/ no need to waste time installing larger titles and ofc extHDD launching support

Required:
1. the game/homebrew.nsp you want to convert
2. download NSC.Build (Credit: julesontheroad )
3. your OWN keys (use lockpick if you dont have them allready)
4. Windows PC

Step 1:
- eject your mSD from your switch
- copy lockpick.nro to [mSD] root/switch/
- put your mSD back into your switch and power on (launch CFW)
- open SX menu (by launching the album)/use the HomebrewLauncher to launch lockpick
- after lockpick is done power down your switch
- eject the mSD from your switch
- copy [mSD] root/switch/prod.keys to somewhere on your pc (keep track of this file as we need it later on)

Step 2:
- extract the NSC.Builder-Version.zip
- copy prod.keys into ".../NSC.Builder.vXXXX/ztools" and rename it to "keys.txt"

Step 3:
- launch NSCB.bat (located ".../NSC.Builder.vXXXX/NSCB.bat")
- press 1 then enter ("process files individually")
- drag and drop the game/homebrew.nsp you want to conert into the window and press enter
- press 1 then enter ("start processing")
- press 2 then enter ("repack and list as xci")
- if you want to "patch" the required SystemVersion to play the game on a console with a lower than required FWVersion do so (should work didnt test it tho)
- wait for it to finish (the larger your *.nsp the longer it will take )
- when you see "ALL FILES WERE PROCESSED" you can just close the window

Step 4:
- you can find the newly created *.xci under ".../NSC.Builder.vXXXX/NSCB_Output/"
- copy it to either an external HDD or to your mSD
- put your mSD back into your switch and boot CFW
- launch album and enjoy playing your game without the need to install it first (and drag and drop support for ezpz gamemanagement)

i hope this guide is not to messy and that following it is easy enough
if i helped you a like would be very much appreciated [x

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2018
Thanks for this! Quick question, can we package the NSP and any updates/dlc into the XCI file? I saw somewhere else someone doing something like that but this seems to be a different program.

i know what you're talking about, however i cant find anything really usefull
i think i overheard someone from a discord trying to merge the update into the xci but it gave him a corruption error
will check tomorrow if i got the time

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2018
Does extracting your keys get you an auto banned? and have yall tried an NSP that was converted to XCI and going to OFW and updating it? would that even ban you? I know messing around with the switch will eventually ban you but have yall been ban just yet from trying this?

any homebrew usage could be a reason for a ban, but we dont actually know what n bans for
if you want to go safe backup your nand > dump keys > restore the nandbackup

updating that way is the same as updating the installed nsp (i would guess) since it checks the gamecart cert before downloading the update, but im not 100% sure
however i would highly reccomend that you dont try this as most nsp/xci (at least when obtained in a non legal way) have their certs wiped, which would be a dead giveaway for n to ban you

RSJon

Noob Account
Dec 1, 2018
This also allows you to pack multiple XCI and nsp files into 1 file maximum of 8 games under 32gb.

And yes you can merge games with updates and dlcs

Vger2

Noob Account
Dec 8, 2018
Having issues running [GUIDE] How to convert *.nsp to *.xci!.
My current configuration is Switch running SX OS Pro 2.5.1 Beta on emuNand with 128 GB SD Card. The emuNand is on Switch not on SD Card. I've installed all of the nsp & xci games. Would like to convert my saved nsp games to xci. Followed guide and exacted prod.keys from my switch. Have Python 2.7 & 3.7 installed on Win 7 Pro 64 bit. Seems Python file missing urllib3. See my screenshot. Thanks

Attachments

Nov 25, 2018
Hey guys I've been using the program to put DLC in my XCI games and I haven't been ban so far I also extracted my keys and I didn't do the recovery NAND back up but I did do a new NAND back up just in case and updated the games from the OFW even the games that are only NSPs like "The Room" and I haven't been ban so far but I've also been doing this for about 4 days I don't use the games to go online except for games that I physically own like "Mario Kart" or "Pokemon" and even those I use them on my OFW

I think as to why I haven't been ban for updating NSPs that I converted to XCI is because the program removes the title rights, XCIs don't have title rights since you would have bought the game outside the eshop but NSPs that have their title rights removed makes it to where the game doesn't search for the right to be played which is why I can update the games on their XCI format without being ban (Unless I play them on CFW and go online which would probably send red flags to NTDO) I like to clarify that this is my opinion as to why I haven't been ban so please be careful.
Having issues running [GUIDE] How to convert *.nsp to *.xci!.
My current configuration is Switch running SX OS Pro 2.5.1 Beta on emuNand with 128 GB SD Card. The emuNand is on Switch not on SD Card. I've installed all of the nsp & xci games. Would like to convert my saved nsp games to xci. Followed guide and exacted prod.keys from my switch. Have Python 2.7 & 3.7 installed on Win 7 Pro 64 bit. Seems Python file missing urllib3. See my screenshot. Thanks
Did you run the "install_dependencies.bat" file maybe that's what your missing my dude

Last edited:

Vger2

Noob Account
Dec 8, 2018
Hey guys I've been using the program to put DLC in my XCI games and I haven't been ban so far I also extracted my keys and I didn't do the recovery NAND back up but I did do a new NAND back up just in case and updated the games from the OFW even the games that are only NSPs like "The Room" and I haven't been ban so far but I've also been doing this for about 4 days I don't use the games to go online except for games that I physically own like "Mario Kart" or "Pokemon" and even those I use them on my OFW

I think as to why I haven't been ban for updating NSPs that I converted to XCI is because the program removes the title rights, XCIs don't have title rights since you would have bought the game outside the eshop but NSPs that have their title rights removed makes it to where the game doesn't search for the right to be played which is why I can update the games on their XCI format without being ban (Unless I play them on CFW and go online which would probably send red flags to NTDO) I like to clarify that this is my opinion as to why I haven't been ban so please be careful.

Did you run the "install_dependencies.bat" file maybe that's what your missing my dude

Didn't see that in the steps setup. That did it. working now.(y)

Thanks

Vger2

Noob Account
Dec 8, 2018
Didn't see that in the steps setup. That did it. working now.(y)

Thanks

Ok, I got NSC Builder to run and create xci file from nsp. I notice that NSC Builder is creating an xci file from nsp that is smaller in size. Also, it creates two other zip files. One looks blank while the other seems to have info on language and icon jpg images for game. Anyway, I copied xci file to SD Card and it shows up in installer but without icon pic, it's a white blank icon. Installer goes thru process of installing and looks ok but game does NOT show up in menu. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong. I do the the keys.txt for this process. Thanks:(

Nov 25, 2018
Ok, I got NSC Builder to run and create xci file from nsp. I notice that NSC Builder is creating an xci file from nsp that is smaller in size. Also, it creates two other zip files. One looks blank while the other seems to have info on language and icon jpg images for game. Anyway, I copied xci file to SD Card and it shows up in installer but without icon pic, it's a white blank icon. Installer goes thru process of installing and looks ok but game does NOT show up in menu. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong. I do the the keys.txt for this process. Thanks:(
It seems like you didn't extract your keys right whenever you go in to extract your keys don't hold R and go to the album just go to to the album and once you're in the sx menu just go to the homebrew section and extract your keys again. Also when converting the game just drop it in the "NSCB.bat" and let it run. If you want to add DLC to the games then make a folder with the XCI and DLC then just drag and drop that folder in the "NSCB.bat". I wouldn't mess with the ZIP files since I don't really know what's in them.
BTW the key file is about 8 KB.

Last edited:

Richy72

Noob Account
Jan 11, 2019
Netherlands
It seems like you didn't extract your keys right whenever you go in to extract your keys don't hold R and go to the album just go to to the album and once you're in the sx menu just go to the homebrew section and extract your keys again. Also when converting the game just drop it in the "NSCB.bat" and let it run. If you want to add DLC to the games then make a folder with the XCI and DLC then just drag and drop that folder in the "NSCB.bat". I wouldn't mess with the ZIP files since I don't really know what's in them.
BTW the key file is about 8 KB.
I'm having the same issue.
How can I be sure the keys are extracted properly?
I ran the Lockpick app from the Homebrew as described.
Currently on FW 6.1 and OS 2.5.2
Will running Lockpick again extract other/more keys?

Update: Lockpick says it is unable to dump Tegra keys.
How can I fix this?

Looking forward to getting this running :)

Cheers,
Richy

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2018
I'm having the same issue.
How can I be sure the keys are extracted properly?
I ran the Lockpick app from the Homebrew as described.
Currently on FW 6.1 and OS 2.5.2
Will running Lockpick again extract other/more keys?

Update: Lockpick says it is unable to dump Tegra keys.
How can I fix this?

Looking forward to getting this running :)

Cheers,
Richy
Just go to the album WITHOUT holding the R button and go to the homebrew section in the sx menu and run lockpick its okay if you extract them more than once it would replace the old one, the key file would be 8 KB if its 4 KB than you haven't extracted them right.

Vger2

Noob Account
Dec 8, 2018
Just go to the album WITHOUT holding the R button and go to the homebrew section in the sx menu and run lockpick its okay if you extract them more than once it would replace the old one, the key file would be 8 KB if its 4 KB than you haven't extracted them right.
Yes, tried exactly like you instructed and still only getting only a 3 KB prod.key file. I still get message - Lockpick says it is unable to dump Tegra keys.

Is there any other way to extract keys?

Richy72

Noob Account
Jan 11, 2019
Netherlands
I figured it out!
Needed to inject hekate_ctcaer_4.6.bin using the option of SX OS.
After launching hekate_ctcaer_4.6.bin I could dump the requested files.
Went back and ran Lockpick. This time no error. File was approx. 8Kb
Created a new XCI and and new multiple file XCI.
Both have a picture in the menu now, they install en most important .... They are playable.
Great tutorial, but you might need to add the part of using hekate_ctcaer_4.6.bin.
I found the missing info on GBATemp.

Vger2

Noob Account
Dec 8, 2018
I figured it out!
Needed to inject hekate_ctcaer_4.6.bin using the option of SX OS.
After launching hekate_ctcaer_4.6.bin I could dump the requested files.
Went back and ran Lockpick. This time no error. File was approx. 8Kb
Created a new XCI and and new multiple file XCI.
Both have a picture in the menu now, they install en most important .... They are playable.
Great tutorial, but you might need to add the part of using hekate_ctcaer_4.6.bin.
I found the missing info on GBATemp.
I can confirm. Did the same steps and ran hekate_ctcaer_4.6.bin. I dumped the fuse.bin and tsec keys.bin to sd card.
What I did was to insert another SD card formatted in exFat and loaded SD files with atmosphere and Lockpick in the switch folder. After dumping I tried loading atmosphere CFW from hekate_ctcaer but switch crashed. Don't know if it was because I formatted my SD card in exFat and not FAT32 OR If atmosphere CFW won't load on Switch with SX OS emuNand. Anyway what I did was copy the backup folder created from keys dump to my main sd card with SX OS pro 2.52 and booted in SX OS CFW. Went to Album, Homebrew and ran Lockpick from there. No issues and it gave me the 8 KB prod.keys file. :D

Support Our Sponsors