GUIDE: How to know if a Switch is currently 'unhackable' (August 2018)

Joetoro

Noob Account
Feb 3, 2019
Usa
Last noob post. I just bought a new switch. New in box from a major retailer. It has sn xaw10067xxxxxx. According to the first post, this IS hackable. Is it possible that there are still old switches out in the wild unsold?

imprezgc8

Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
Nov 26, 2007
The Cloud
Last noob post. I just bought a new switch. New in box from a major retailer. It has sn xaw10067xxxxxx. According to the first post, this IS hackable. Is it possible that there are still old switches out in the wild unsold?
Yes. As far as I know Nintendo didn't call back any stock from resellers, so there is definitely a chance that there are still hackable switches in stores. It would really depend on how much stock they ordered and kept since the switch was released.

ozzieSXOS

Noob Account
Dec 17, 2018
same here, I got mine in dec, hackable. They are out there for sure, you got a lucky. be glad :)

Joetoro

Noob Account
Feb 3, 2019
Usa
Oh, I'm glad to be sure. I planned on migrating existing data to the new switch and hacking the old. Now I need to find a virgin switch guide, not just a mod guide. IE what firmware to get to, etc. Just waiting on my delivery to start.

ObsidianLion

Noob Account
Feb 5, 2019
Dubai
Please can anyone help me identify if my switch is hackable, as it has a code which is not anywhere in the examples. Its XAJ70005......

I can still refund the purchase.

imprezgc8

Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
Nov 26, 2007
The Cloud
I would say that you are here:

Serials beginning with XAJ7:
XAJ700400XXXXX (and lower) - Not Patched
XAJ700410XXXXX (and above) - Possibly patched
XAJ700500XXXXX (and above) - Patched

Only way to really check is to run through the guide and use tegraRCM. The serial numbers are really just a quick reference. People have reported 'patched' serial numbers working.

ObsidianLion

Noob Account
Feb 5, 2019
Dubai
I would say that you are here:

Serials beginning with XAJ7:
XAJ700400XXXXX (and lower) - Not Patched
XAJ700410XXXXX (and above) - Possibly patched
XAJ700500XXXXX (and above) - Patched

Only way to really check is to run through the guide and use tegraRCM. The serial numbers are really just a quick reference. People have reported 'patched' serial numbers working.
To be honest, most of the guides I read on how to boot in RCM mode say that you could permanently damage the Switch, which scares the sh*t out of me.

Game_Over

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Top Poster Of Month
Dec 2, 2010
I have S/N XAJ400619xxx its worth try? If I try can i damage my switch if not work?

Edit: my version is 4.1.0
If you try what?

If you are just trying to inject a payload while in RCM mode, this will not damage the switch in any way. That being said, if you jam paper clips into your joycon rail to get to RCM mode, then yes.... you could possibly ruin your joycon rail.

As long as you use the proper tools for the job, there is very little risk.

tokyo

The Panda
VIP Member
Sep 9, 2018
Bamboo Forest
To be honest, most of the guides I read on how to boot in RCM mode say that you could permanently damage the Switch, which scares the sh*t out of me.
To be honest, anything you do out of scope of what Nintendo intended you to use your switch for, such as modding can damage your switch. It’s the risk you take. Same goes with anything that’s modded over the years. But the devs that develope these kinds of things know what they are doing.

Rcfaro

Noob Account
Feb 6, 2019
Portugal
If you try what?

If you are just trying to inject a payload while in RCM mode, this will not damage the switch in any way. That being said, if you jam paper clips into your joycon rail to get to RCM mode, then yes.... you could possibly ruin your joycon rail.

As long as you use the proper tools for the job, there is very little risk.
Yes, try payload. I already try and confirm my switch its patched.

Cant return it beacuse it's from a giveaway. Should I wait for hacka patched switch or sell this one and buy new with good s/n?

Victorb9

Noob Account
Feb 8, 2019
UAE
I think if you failed to find console with appopriate serial number in you’re local stores - all you can do now is wait.
Trying to get it online randomly might make you broke on delivery charge, it’s like a lottery you know.

Erez053

Noob Account
Nov 25, 2018
Hello
At some point, there were discussions about hacking new patch switch.
"
First and foremost, this is a temporary problem. Team Xecuter is currently working on the new revision of the Switch and has made progress. There is currently no ETA on a release.
"

So, i`am not asking whem will tx release this new revision,
But i would like to ask, do they (tx) still working on this project or is it
abandoned.

Ansem

Noob Account
Jan 26, 2019
Home - Clinton Iowa
Hello
At some point, there were discussions about hacking new patch switch.
"
First and foremost, this is a temporary problem. Team Xecuter is currently working on the new revision of the Switch and has made progress. There is currently no ETA on a release.
"

So, i`am not asking whem will tx release this new revision,
But i would like to ask, do they (tx) still working on this project or is it
abandoned.
I agree, when isnt important....its done when its done, but it would be useful for those of us who are waiting to receive some kind of update on the progress. Once a month I think is realistic in letting us know of how much progress has been made. Twice a month for when the alpha/beta testing starts. Being left in the dark for months however doesnt help with morale. TX is in my view the most advanced in hacking the switch and as such is the first thing I look at when I look for updates...when I dont find any I then resort to google searches and all I come across is old threads on several.

Its kind of rediculus actually....type in search for switch hack news 2019....and instead you get 2018 with a few 2019's and the 2019 posts are all people asking how to hack with responses being links to the webpage with the serial number info. We know where we are in the 'patched' so theres no reason to ask if its patched. Those that do keep asking though are in the 'might be' patched pile. I know theres a spreadsheet that has a ton of info but it doesnt look to be getting any updates....(why I provided all the detailed information about my switch just incase there are any people in my boat)

Game_Over

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Top Poster Of Month
Dec 2, 2010
The spreadsheet isn't even needed. You can test it really easily.

As far as a fix for new ipatched units: this is still in progress. TX always works behind closed doors. It has been this way for 17 years.

LmubR_jPby

Noob Account
Jan 27, 2019
France
Hello,

Yes, it doesn't help for moral, but try to think about it :
- Their activities is a very grey area
- Any unfinished hack leak can lead to a fix by the manufacturer, making the process restart from zero

Now, consider it in the financial way :
- They sell stuff to jailbreak switches
- The new switches are not vulnerable to the previous exploit, meaning the market can't grow up
- Early new switches hack release may lead to lot of issues, including lot of supports (which could be avoid with more time/work)

I'm not part of the scene, so I don't know how it really work here.
But as a software engineer, it's pure logic to release the stuff when it's ready as long as there is still a nice cash stack to cover the R&D cost.

Last but not least, they are in charge : They can do the way they want.

Regards,

Victorb9

Noob Account
Feb 8, 2019
UAE
Ok, I got console with serial XAJ7003XX, but the firmware on it is 4.1.0.
I find info that consoles with firmware higher that 3.0.0 already patched, so...
Should I be worried?

Support Our Sponsors