LITEON DG-16D4S - SLIM Has anyone tried the Maximus Kamikaze Winbond Unlock Template?

guitarguy

Jul 31, 2012
I just ordered one since I needed some DGX boards. I have unlocked Windbond chips before using a drill bit and just giving me best guess as to where to drill. I was successful 9 out of 12 times which isn't so bad. Just curious if this template is pretty accurate.

reefz3ro

VIP Member
May 30, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
yes I have one and it did 2 or 3 successfully and failed 1 and haven't used it since. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think the problem is you are trying to hit a very exact point and where the chip is set can vary from pcb to pcb enough to kill the chip.
Personally if feel much more comfortable counting the pins.

guitarguy

Jul 31, 2012
yes I have one and it did 2 or 3 successfully and failed 1 and haven't used it since. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think the problem is you are trying to hit a very exact point and where the chip is set can vary from pcb to pcb enough to kill the chip.
What do you find is the easiest way to count pins? Do you use a magnifying glass of some sort or take the glue off?

nofeloniesyet

VIP Member
Jan 16, 2011
Nowhere
im guilty of using it for the speed,however i will say,out of all the ones ive failed on,had i counted the pins,i wouldnt of failed on em at all.

Antalpromille

VIP Member
Aug 4, 2011
Borås, sweden
What do you find is the easiest way to count pins? Do you use a magnifying glass of some sort or take the glue off?
A magnifying glass, bright light and a scalpell to mark the leg on the chip. I never took the glue of, only when replacing chips on the broken pcbs that i got from other forum members.

Last edited:
Reactions: guitarguy

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2011
Tampa,FL
Takes me about 5-10 extra minutes to get a picture and count the pins, Total 30 minutes max for the whole flash really.

I had a template but I sold it because the pins method is so much more accurate. Have done around 35 kamikazes now and all were a breeze.

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
I take a pic using a USB Microscope. I then open it in Irfanview and draw lines between the pins to locate the point. I then use a blade to mark the relative location on the chip. You can use the print on the chip for reference.

Never had one fail doing this.

ator

Apr 21, 2005
Brisbane
  • I count the leg pins.

• Use a small ruler to score the top of chip with scalpel to do the lines.

• I then solder a wire to GND on PCB solder the other end onto one probe of multi meter,

• Then solder a wire to the other probe then solder the other end to my sharp point Craft scalpel blade,

• set multi meter to audible continuity, with small circular etching dig a hole at the converging lines (tiny) as soon as i hit the WP, multi meter beeps, I stop clean the hole with meth & ear bud,

• Remove wires.

• Solder wire with resister to the PCB then to the blade scalpel attach X360 USB Pro 2 to the drive.

• Run JF - reset SPI Register. Use the scalpel tip in the hole (wire attached) Nick the trace with tip of scalpel. JF then Beeps Alarm (SPI now set to 0x00).

I don't know how many I’ve done this way but easily over 60, no risks all successful :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Martin C

consoleservice

Feb 13, 2011
the template is ok. done over 463 kamikaze using the template and no dead unit. but allways compared with drawing lines.
the negative point is drill bit, (come along with template in package) it is a rubbish, after 5 uses, need new one. anyway it is better to have for reserve few drill bits. and a microscope it is must have

axelll

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2011
Everywhere
Let me state this categorically: The best way is to count the legs on the chip.
+1, I never used any template, just count the pins and drill slowly. 100% success rate doing this.

WNYConsoles

Troll Eating Dogs
I use the template and "eye it" and I use a new bit for every one I do. You can get the bits in bulk really cheap from China, I am talking 10 cent's each in large QTY so it's well worth the cost to get a nice hole. I have done many kamikaze installs, killed a couple PCB's when I started doing them but TBH that's going happen when you drill a hole in a PCB :)

Oh, and you don't need the 3.3v wire. In fact when you drill with the bit you don't even have to go all the way until it unlocks (beeps in JF). You can drill the hole and then test with IPA, if it doesn't unlock drill a bit more, test with IPA again, and repeat until it unlocks.

Last edited:

unkn0wn.92

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2011
AMM,Jordan
I always use the 1.0mm drill with xacto knife 7 boards never fail but i recommend to use the 0.8mm its better and safer