Help! Xbox 360 Slim turns on and works fine, but no video or sound shows up on tv.

vintagekoala

Noob Account
Feb 6, 2016
Okay, long story here. Yesterday night, I unplugged my Xbox 360 Slim (250 GB) from my room because I was going to move it to my living room to play there. I unplugged everything, and as I was moving the console and cables around, I accidentally spilled a lit bit of water on top of my Xbox. A little of the water went through the vents before I quickly dried off the water that I spilled. Since it wasn't a lot of water, I thought everything was fine and continued to move my Xbox to the living room. I got to the living room and plugged everything in and everything seemed to be going just fine. The Xbox boot logo appeared and made the noise. However, when it got to the dashboard, the colors were off. It had big, light greenish purplish bars in the back. I kind of panicked and thought the water had maybe done some damage.However, I ignored that and decided that maybe it was the HDMI so I unplugged the HDMI and plugged it back in and it was still the same so I thought restarting it would get rid of my problem. That's when everything messed up because after turning it off, I turned it back on and the green ring and the upper left light from the controller turned on and the disk tray worked and everything, but now I had no video or sound. It was weird though because I could still control the Xbox with the controller because since I memorized what buttons to press to turn off the console with the controller, I tried it and it turned off like it's supposed to so I figured the Xbox was fine and it was just the tv. However, I've tried on two different tv's and have tried three different HDMI cables along with the original component cable and none have worked. I already tried resetting the display settings with the Y button and right trigger, but it doesn't work. I have also tried the towel trick a couple of times because I thought something might have happened to the graphics card, but that still didn't work. My Xbox has not been getting the video or sound through for about 24 hours now and I don't know what to do. I love my Xbox and I just bought a year of live. Help please.

Running4Hippos

VIP Member
Dec 22, 2015
Ontario, Canada
You shouldn't have turned it on after u spilled the water, it could have fried a component.
Your best bet would be to unplug the xbox leave it to dry or use a fan. If u can't wait open it and see if there is any water, dry it take out the motherboard inpect for any fried parts, then put where there is natural light inside your house and wait until the water evaporates.

Nintendo

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2014
Spain
The water won't evaporate so easily, it's not alcohol, if it used to work and after that 'accident' it stopped working, it's because something got damaged.

Without proper repair equipment/skills you won't be able to get it working again, you won't find a component screaming "Hey, replace me, I don't work!".

Running4Hippos

VIP Member
Dec 22, 2015
Ontario, Canada
The water won't evaporate so easily, it's not alcohol, if it used to work and after that 'accident' it stopped working, it's because something got damaged.

Without proper repair equipment/skills you won't be able to get it working again, you won't find a component screaming "Hey, replace me, I don't work!".
Exactly that's why u have to look for fried components but the damage could be something u can't see

Nintendo

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2014
Spain
So that tells me if much safer to spill alcohol on your Xbox than water.
That's the reason why I'm always pissed up on the Xbox. It's much safer for the Xbox.
No, that meant that the water doesn't evaporate as fast as alcohol does, I wasn't talking about safety.

Last edited: