Hidden partition EmuNAND Boot.dat error everytime.

shado0573

Noob Account
Feb 10, 2019
Pakistan
Can anyone help me with EmuNAND.
I set it up on hidden partition then i copied back all my files to my SD card.
YES BOOT.DAT AND LICENSE ARE IN THE ROOT OF THE SD CARD.
YES MY SD CARD IS REAL WITH NO ERRORS AND A 1 YEAR WARRANTY.
BUT i KEEP getting the same thing. BOOT.DAT ERROR when booting up sx os payload.
LIKE wtf. I did this for 5-6 times already. I've reformatted using GUIFORMAT to fat32.
I used EMUNAND on SD files as well BUT get a black screen when booting it up.
SO Any help will be nice and NO ISSUE WITH SD CARD.
I've tried with sd files on EmuNAND but nope I get a black screen and my AutoRCM is disabled.
Any Help is appreciated. It's been so many days and many tries trying to use EmuNAND but no luck.
At the end my only option is installing EmuNAND on the SysNand but I do not know about the risk's of it.

Game_Over

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Dec 2, 2010
if you format your sd card to FAT32, place ONLY boot.dat on the root of your sd card, enter RCM mode and send the payload, it should work.

If you get the boot.dat? error, then this means your switch cannot locate the file on your sd card. This could be caused by a few things. Could be a junk SD card, could be a junk SD card READER, could be a hardware fault with your switch.... you will have to trouble shoot this and discover where the point of failure is.

First and easiest step is to try another SD card and go from there.

shado0573

Noob Account
Feb 10, 2019
Pakistan
if you format your sd card to FAT32, place ONLY boot.dat on the root of your sd card, enter RCM mode and send the payload, it should work.

If you get the boot.dat? error, then this means your switch cannot locate the file on your sd card. This could be caused by a few things. Could be a junk SD card, could be a junk SD card READER, could be a hardware fault with your switch.... you will have to trouble shoot this and discover where the point of failure is.

First and easiest step is to try another SD card and go from there.
Okay I'll try using another Sd card.
But any other fix you recommend?
So ONLY the Boot.dat?
Nothing else?

shado0573

Noob Account
Feb 10, 2019
Pakistan
If you are just testing functionality, I would suggest keeping it simple and just using boot.dat so you can say "it works" or "it doesn't work"
And if it still doesn't work? I'd have to use another sd card but that cannot happen for now.
What about putting EmuNAND in SysNAND. What about that?
Since EmuNAND on SD gives me a black screen.

shado0573

Noob Account
Feb 10, 2019
Pakistan
what size is your sd card?

I am a bit confused....

Are you able to get to the sx bootloader?
I have a 64gb SDXC. It's fat32 formatted.
I can normally go into SX OS bootloader before installing EmuNAND to hidden partition.
After Installing the same Boot.dat error.
Otherwise If i boot through Normal Payload without it. I can Boot it.

shado0573

Noob Account
Feb 10, 2019
Pakistan
I have yet to try it. I dont have any available on me for the time being.
I restored my system and will format my SD card back to fat32.
Will Create EmuNAND on there again hopefully it works.
Any suggestions for which EMUNAND? The Hidden (It may give an error again).

optantic

VIP Member
May 2, 2010
what software did you used to verify the card is real?
Just saying many people think their microsd is real when it's not

shado0573

Noob Account
Feb 10, 2019
Pakistan
what software did you used to verify the card is real?
Just saying many people think their microsd is real when it's not
I trust me it is real. I bought it from a proper game store in the UK.
I used H2testw and have verified it. It does not have any corruption issues either.

optantic

VIP Member
May 2, 2010
I trust me it is real. I bought it from a proper game store in the UK.
I used H2testw and have verified it. It does not have any corruption issues either.
well, either try delete emunand or try another microsd with only boot.dat and license.dat in it and hope it is not faulty with the NS microsd reader

shado0573

Noob Account
Feb 10, 2019
Pakistan
well, either try delete emunand or try another microsd with only boot.dat and license.dat in it and hope it is not faulty with the NS microsd reader
I will try another SD card. I doubt it's the NS microSD reader since how can it boot other CFW and all but not boot into EmuNAND.

shado0573

Noob Account
Feb 10, 2019
Pakistan
I had the same problem with Samsung EVO 256Gb
For resolve this problem, i manually convert emunand to hidden partition with this :
( read all with comment this topic is not intuitive )

https://gbatemp.net/threads/moving-from-sx-os-sd-emunand-to-sd-hidden_emunand.526587/
But my EmuNAND on SD files me a black screen.
I mean I will try this,
Problem is I do not undetstand it. What to write and where to write.
And I need steps to using it in windows 10?
You know how?

NeoLTK

Noob Account
Feb 2, 2019
tasoeur
if not fake sd you emunand is potentially corrupt, juste rebuild one with SXOS on your SD with SX payload and use Cygwin Or a Linux VM for convert emunand on windows 10

I warn you it will not be so simple to use this way especially on windows

shado0573

Noob Account
Feb 10, 2019
Pakistan
if not fake sd you emunand is potentially corrupt, juste rebuild one with SXOS on your SD with SX payload and use Cygwin Or a Linux VM for convert emunand on windows 10
I do not understand what these apps do?
Give me option to use and convert through Linux?
So I using SD emunand and go to these programs and use code from GBA temp on these Linux VM or Cygwin?
but how does a corrupt EmuNAND be related to boot.dat error.
The problem comes when I restart or power off my switch.
The first time I installed EmuNAND and booted EmuNAND right after installation. Everything was working.

cadavertlse

Noob Account
Feb 18, 2019
France
Hi guys, i have the same problem, I used before a microSD card of 128Go and everything works great but i bought a microSD card Samsung 256Go Evo+ and when i try to launch my Xecuter, it doesn't find the boot.dat file but it is on the card...I tryed with my old sdcard and it works...Is there a problem with 256Go sdcard or is it the EVO+ ? Exfat all cards but doesn't work with 256Go card....
Hi guys, i found a solution for the boot.dat problem, i formatted the sdcard in NTFS and i started the switch in normal mode. The Switch ask for formatting the sdcard in ExFat, i said Yes, then i copy my boot.dat and licence.dat and cxi and nsp files and the file boot.dat works and xecuter works great.
Have a nice day.
Bye !

Last edited:

shado0573

Noob Account
Feb 10, 2019
Pakistan
Hi guys, i have the same problem, I used before a microSD card of 128Go and everything works great but i bought a microSD card Samsung 256Go Evo+ and when i try to launch my Xecuter, it doesn't find the boot.dat file but it is on the card...I tryed with my old sdcard and it works...Is there a problem with 256Go sdcard or is it the EVO+ ? Exfat all cards but doesn't work with 256Go card....
Hi guys, i found a solution for the boot.dat problem, i formatted the sdcard in NTFS and i started the switch in normal mode. The Switch ask for formatting the sdcard in ExFat, i said Yes, then i copy my boot.dat and licence.dat and cxi and nsp files and the file boot.dat works and xecuter works great.
Have a nice day.
Bye !
Didnt you get the system update when you pressed on formatting the sd card?
or did you use ChoidujourNX to update?

rikimm

Noob Account
Feb 21, 2019
México
I also have the same problem, buy a sd kingston 64 gb, it is original, because I buy it in a well known store where I am from, and still present the same problem format sd in fat32, since in exfat does not accept it for create the emunand, for which I select the option that recommends sxos in sd and at the time I turn off and turn on the console sends me the same boot.dat error.

re-formatting the sd from the console is not an option or a solution when you need to have the emunan installed in the sd, so what would be your recommendations?

Support Our Sponsors