HOW and WHY to Solder Correctly

Merking

Noob Account
Mar 14, 2011
thanks need to get good, since im doing an electronics degree and nandx install looks appealling

skiiermike

Sep 12, 2011
Canada
Awesome post. I started soldering about a year and a half ago and it was a rough start. I wish i had watched this video first. It puts everything together really well.

Thanks

Defocused

Oct 2, 2011
I really enjoyed the video, and believed that i could really pull an lt switch soldering off. But no, think my tip was to big.
Anyway, back on track. The video is cool, but i dont feel it covers the lt switch soldering. To me there's a big difference in soldering a wire to a board and soldering the lt switch. Is the soldering iron supposed to be held against the top of the lt board, and then it would attract the solder, which i would be holding near the dvd board?

Im sorry if this is confusing, but thats how i see it.

Goldensavage

VIP Member
Jul 26, 2009
Essex, UK
I really enjoyed the video, and believed that i could really pull an lt switch soldering off. But no, think my tip was to big.
Anyway, back on track. The video is cool, but i dont feel it covers the lt switch soldering. To me there's a big difference in soldering a wire to a board and soldering the lt switch. Is the soldering iron supposed to be held against the top of the lt board, and then it would attract the solder, which i would be holding near the dvd board?

Im sorry if this is confusing, but thats how i see it.
You need to preferably have heat on both parts that you are going to solder.

first prep with flux. it is invaluable.

I use a 20w iron with pointed tip for my pcb's. So i can hold the tip against the dvd board and rest the iron against the pcb solder point, and feed a small amount of solder into it.

That way both joints have heat, and the solder just melds to both points. Job done.

If one doesn't have enough heat, then you won't get a very good grab on it

Last edited:

allisd00m

Sep 22, 2011
Devon, UK
Good soldering tips, however using the QSB's that come with the nand x leave no margin for error, you end up stripping the board of its solder points if you are not precise with your technique.I got through 4 jtag (kit 8's for xenon) before finally getting the method right. Blobbing the solder on the tip and applying it to the QSB + contact on the M board with plenty of flux worked ok for me.Maybe someone with more skill than me should post a video on good QSB soldering methods as i struggled and i imagine many others did with these delicate QSB's
Damn, after finally getting hold of a Nand X that's not what I wanted to hear lol.

HDizzle07

Sep 21, 2011
kentucky
That is the video I watched right before I did some of my first solder projects. I just need some more practice with soldering a wire to the MB.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

sas67

Dec 2, 2009
s****horpe
im one of them people who get scared when soldering is mentioned.i have bought 15w iron,and have flux pen and thin solder.i have some dead xbox boards so i may practice with one of them..good vid,cheers

ps.would it be good idea to buy a few different tip sizes?

Minne

Oct 13, 2011
thank you for this, this will help me eventually learn to flash my slim when i get enough courage to try it

mayday295

Feb 12, 2010
This is really helpful, before I would put solder onto the tip of my iron and then try touching the points, didn't work very well!

Agent LeOrange

I'm having two different soldering problems...

1.) The solder iron tip keeps getting to where parts of it wont emit heat.
2.) I eat through solder iron tips like there's no tomorrow.

I've followed the video but can't figure this out.

Any ideas?

jabramo

Jan 14, 2011
So most likely both your problems are caused by a cheap or faulty iron. A good iron will spread heat through the entire tip. Same thing goes with the tip a good iron will be made of HQ material. If you want to preserve your tip clean it of all the solder after every use and try keeping it plugged in only when your using it.