HOW and WHY to Solder Correctly

Xecuter

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Dec 6, 2002
Asia
team-xecuter.com
If you are a novice to soldering WATCH THIS VIDEO !!!!!

It explains how to solder correctly and why. I GUARANTEE this video will change your electronics life - you will not only know how to solder correctly but you will see how EASY it is when you do it correctly.

[video=youtube;I_NU2ruzyc4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_NU2ruzyc4[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

MasterCyc

VIP Member
Jul 1, 2010
Northern Ireland
done a solder course many years ago
great video that good to show others how not to do it 1st and then how to
many people that think about soldering always panic and hold the solder tip on the wire to long and wonder why it sticks to it.
my tips for soldering
Watts 15-30 max
FLux
Small tips very essential in soldering onto mobys
Lead free solder
and not to be scared of doing it get an old pc moby few wires and practice once you get the nack you never look back

Reactions: flealee and darchy

JOCKz

Feb 17, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
why lead free solder ? Sure its RoHS safe but such little exposure to "lead" solder will not kill you !!! Lead free solder flows at much higher temps so advising novice users to use it will most likely cause them to lift pads, especially if they are not using temperature controlled soldering stations.

MasterCyc

VIP Member
Jul 1, 2010
Northern Ireland
as stated in my post tips ie my tips you dont have to use lead free solder its just how i learnt many years ago to do it
every person who solders have there way and toolz to do it its just me stating what i wud do
since this is my prefrence
its not a guide to soldering that i posted

UpHanleyDuck

Sep 21, 2010
S-O-T
Good soldering tips, however using the QSB's that come with the nand x leave no margin for error, you end up stripping the board of its solder points if you are not precise with your technique.I got through 4 jtag (kit 8's for xenon) before finally getting the method right. Blobbing the solder on the tip and applying it to the QSB + contact on the M board with plenty of flux worked ok for me.Maybe someone with more skill than me should post a video on good QSB soldering methods as i struggled and i imagine many others did with these delicate QSB's

marshamods

VIP Member
Mar 7, 2010
ohio
They are only delicate if you are applying your iron on for long amount of times or are using your iron at a very high wattage.

UpHanleyDuck

Sep 21, 2010
S-O-T
They are only delicate if you are applying your iron on for long amount of times or are using your iron at a very high wattage.
I was brief with the amount of time the iron was in contact, however you have a point with the wattage of my soldering iron 30W oopps, still learning.....but I still think you need a good technique to get it just right.;)

marshamods

VIP Member
Mar 7, 2010
ohio
I was brief with the amount of time the iron was in contact, however you have a point with the wattage of my soldering iron 30W oopps, still learning.....but I still think you need a good technique to get it just right.;)
I use an adjustable iron and set it at about 30w and it works great. Though I have years of experience.

turkishman

Jan 5, 2011
Canada, On.
that was a pretty informative video i do say.

my first go with a soldering iron was on a rol board swaping out the led's

it more tinning then anything
but man were those leds small

turkishman

Jan 5, 2011
Canada, On.
meh...
i got a 15-30watt big fat tip
an i use rosin core lead based

i would like a smaller tip but the ol fatty works well enough
for me any way

anti087

Aug 31, 2011
Man did this improve my skill im not as worried now doing the reset glitch on my slim now

nicke20

VIP Member
Jan 3, 2011
NW Uk
If im strugling to get something small to solder, instead of using the flux pen i use a dap of plumbers flux, its fairly nasty stuff but holds the item in place. As soon as the part has been soldered in i then use plenty of alcohol to clean it all off!