How do I transfer files BACK to my new 1TB Xbox HDD?

jdoe91011

VIP Member
Nov 18, 2013
Hi Guys,

I'm not not sure if this is the right place for this post, but it seemed somewhat appropriate. So I have an RJTAG'd Phat Jasper 512 MB, that I just installed a 1TB HDD into. Prior to installing this, I copied all my files from my original 120GB Xbox HDD onto my PC over FTP using the program FlashFXP. So I have all the files from my original HDD, and I have the new 1TB HDD installed into my RJTAG'd console. I was under the impression I would be able to just transfer the files back to the new HDD using the same method I used to take them off the old HDD (over FTP using FlashFXP). This does not seem to be the case, all the files fail every time I try to transfer them.

Can someone tell me how to get my old files BACK onto my new HDD? I have an Xecuter HD Adapter V2 and an X360 USB Pro, I'm also able to connect to the RJTAG using FTP.

I'm trying to retain all the files I had before I installed the 1TB HDD (game saves, etc.)

Thanks for the help guys, as always.

jdoe91011

VIP Member
Nov 18, 2013
Thanks for the reply Martin, you've helped me through a couple of my issues.

Yes, I've formatted the new drive in the NXE dash, and when I connect to it in FlashFXP, the various "Xbox placed" partitions show up (Flash, Hdd1, HddX, MemUnitInt) . All the surface folders look identical to the files I have from my original Xbox HDD dump, just when I open them, they are empty (obviously). I thought I would just be able to transfer into these new folders with the corresponding content from the original xbox HDD folders (120GB), but that seems to not be the case. Am I missing something obvious?

gavin_darkglide

VIP Member
Dec 14, 2012
if you have the tx hdd adapter, then hook up the hdd to the computer, and copy the files back with the apropriate app. Xplorer 360 will work, but there is a better one i cant think of the name of, and i would copy the old drive files again like this, rather then ftp. I havnt had much luck transfering live arcade games/dlc/indie games over ftp. it transfers, then the xbox always sees it as corrupted data. USB, Or sata straight to hdd always works. just my 2 cents.

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
Thanks for the reply Martin, you've helped me through a couple of my issues.

Yes, I've formatted the new drive in the NXE dash, and when I connect to it in FlashFXP, the various "Xbox placed" partitions show up (Flash, Hdd1, HddX, MemUnitInt) . All the surface folders look identical to the files I have from my original Xbox HDD dump, just when I open them, they are empty (obviously). I thought I would just be able to transfer into these new folders with the corresponding content from the original xbox HDD folders (120GB), but that seems to not be the case. Am I missing something obvious?
Have you tried just creating a folder in FlashFXP (for Content etc, if not already there)?

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
This does not seem to be the case, all the files fail every time I try to transfer them
I think rather than saying 'it fails', actually posting a screenshot of the error is far more useful.

You need to be booting into FSD or xexmenu for FTP to work - the stock dashboard doesn't have an FTP server built in (why would it!).

jdoe91011

VIP Member
Nov 18, 2013
Ok, I was about to put screenshots up, but figured I would give it one more try. Upon doing so, the HDD1 folder copied over fine, that is the only one that would, but it seems that is the only one necessary. I was trying the other folders (flash, hddx) first because they were smaller, but it seems those are not for me as the user to copy over. I hadn't tried the HDD1 folder because it is large and wanted to do that one last. It seems everything was fine to begin with, I was just too ignorant to realize I was trying to move over the incorrect folders, and not touching the only appropriate one. Also, I was using Xex menu the whole time, that much I knew to do!

Oddly enough, my profile is gone. All my friend's and family profiles are available to sign into except mine....the only one I need.....that figures. Is there anyway to recover this? Obviously I can't go on Live, that shipped sailed a while ago.

Sorry if I wasted anyone's time.

Thank you,

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
First mistake:

"I was trying the other folders (flash, hddx) first because they were smaller"

flash and hddx are NOT normal partitions. Flash is your NAND. You should NEVER be writing to that. HDDx is the Backward Compatibility partition. In order to write to it, you need to create it. There's an app to do this.

All content lives in \Content\000000000000000. Your profile data lives in \Content\ too, but every folder apart from the 0000000000000000 one is a profile. You need to make sure you copy EVERYTHING over EXACTLY as it was before.

Reactions: jdoe91011

jdoe91011

VIP Member
Nov 18, 2013
First mistake:

"I was trying the other folders (flash, hddx) first because they were smaller"

flash and hddx are NOT normal partitions. Flash is your NAND. You should NEVER be writing to that. HDDx is the Backward Compatibility partition. In order to write to it, you need to create it. There's an app to do this.

All content lives in \Content\000000000000000. Your profile data lives in \Content\ too, but every folder apart from the 0000000000000000 one is a profile. You need to make sure you copy EVERYTHING over EXACTLY as it was before.
Ok, thank you for shedding light on where the profile files live for me. After reading that, I went back into by HDD files in FlashFXP, and compared the profile files I had from the original backup to the files I had FTP'd back onto my 1TB HDD, I had one extra file in the original HDD dump compared to number of profiles available to me on my new HDD in the JTAG. So I could see that my missing profile files were there (I could tell by the name of the game saves), but the profile wasn't showing up for me when I went to sign into the JTAG. I ended up fixing this by using one of my stock Xboxes to download my profile from Xbox live and save it to a USB stick. I then loaded the USB stick into my JTAG and moved the profile. Sure enough, I then had access to my game saves. So they were on the HDD the whole time, I just needed the profile to be able to access them. I'm not sure why this one profile disappeared before, but I'm glad I have it back.