How to copy 4gb+ to FAT32?

MacD

Feb 28, 2019
Cornwall
Hi all,

Thanks in advance anyone who answers.

So i made the mistake of formatting as exFAT and have a corrupted microsd card already after a couple of days (its an official 128gb sandisk, not a dodgy microsd card). I didn't realise this could happen until i read up on the exFAT issue with the Swtich.

So i am going to start all over again and format as FAT32 and reinstall everything.

My question is what is the best way to copy 4bg+ files to the fat32 microsd card?

FTP isnt an option for me, i discovered my virginmedia router is setup to block lan ftp (unless someone can help me to corret that situation?) so is my only other choice file splitting?

What is the best file splitter? Can FAT32 store files larger than 4gb once the split files are combined?

How does everyone else overcome this situation?

Thanks all !!

Hackerjac

The Minifigure
Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
Jun 2, 2010
Denmark
You need to split the files that is over 4GB into parts to get them onto the SD card

tokyo

The Panda
VIP Member
Sep 9, 2018
Bamboo Forest
I wrote this in another thread. May help you out.

I wanted to weigh in on this. There is a easier way of installing larger NSP games on a FAT32 microSD without splitting your NSPs.

What you will need:
  1. Nintendo Switch Dock
  2. Flash drive formated as exFAT
Copy your large NSP games to your exFAT flash drive. Boot up SX OS and Dock your switch. Insert your flash drive on the side of the Dock. Navigate into the “Album App” and install your games onto your microSD card which is formated as FAT32.

I did this the other night with zero issues.

Hope this helps you all.

Reactions: MacD

Hackerjac

The Minifigure
Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
Jun 2, 2010
Denmark
I wrote this in another thread. May help you out.
Thats indeed is a good tut, unfortenly it won't help if you're using xci

Reactions: tokyo

tokyo

The Panda
VIP Member
Sep 9, 2018
Bamboo Forest
Thanks.
Thats indeed is a good tut, unfortenly it won't help if you're using xci
I personally can’t speak for XCI since I use/ prefer NSP format only.

If you were to install the XCI, that menthod should work. If you want to just load the XCI and run that, then I agree with you, you would need to split the file.

Hackerjac

The Minifigure
Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
Jun 2, 2010
Denmark
Thanks.

I personally can’t speak for XCI since I use/ prefer NSP format only.

If you were to install the XCI, that menthod should work. If you want to just load the XCI and run that, then I agree with you, you would need to split the file.
Personaly i use ExFAT, have done that since the first day i got my Switch, never had my Kingston 128GB SD card corrupted
And after i got possible to use external HDD i have used that for my xci files
It also make it easier to use HDD when i never use the Switch as handheld, but only connected to tv using the dock

MacD

Feb 28, 2019
Cornwall
Personaly i use ExFAT, have done that since the first day i got my Switch, never had my Kingston 128GB SD card corrupted
And after i got possible to use external HDD i have used that for my xci files
It also make it easier to use HDD when i never use the Switch as handheld, but only connected to tv using the dock
You have the perfect setup to use the external drive formatted as exfat and the microsd as fat32.

Just plug the external drive into the dock and install as normal.

It's not a case of if you will get corruption, it's a case of when. Even if you don't notice a file missing or two, it will eventually happen.

If you have a file open and the switch gets interrupted on a read write, that specific block of data will be lost unrecoverable forever.

I made a nand dump 3 days ago, and last night went to copy to my PC. One of the dump files was corrupt and it wouldn't copy.

Everything else worked perfect.