How to Install Avatar & Kinect Data on a JTAG/RGH Console

BL4K3Y

VIP Member
Jul 7, 2010
Colne, Lancashire (UK)
Info
System update data for Avatars/Kinect will be sent to your console's storage device as part of the XeBuild update process if the correct system update data is found.

We strongly recommend using this method to update your JTAG/RGH kernel version in the future.

Read page 22 of the J-Runner PDF for more details.

Warning
This tutorial is NOT for updating your JTAG/RGH dashboard/kernel, it is for installing Avatar/Kinect data ONLY.

To update the kernel version of your JTAG/RGH console, build a new image with J-Runner or use the Update Mode (read page 22 of the J-Runner PDF).

Before you proceed, ensure you have an internal hard drive connected with enough space for the update (I think somewhere around 128MB is required).

Also, ensure that you have DashLaunch installed and configured.

So, you have a JTAG or RGH system, but no Avatars or Kinect?

This small tutorial will help you install them (
ensure your Kinect hardware is connected before you begin or you will be prompted to update again once you connect it!).

Step 1
Download the USB system update from
here (remember to check that the system update you download matches your JTAG/RGH kernel version - go to System Settings>Console Settings>System Info and read where it says Dashboard: 2.0.XXXXX.0, where X = your console's current dashboard/kernel version).

Step 2

Extract the
$systemupdate folder from the archive with 7-Zip or similar and rename it to $$ystemUpdate.

Step 3

Transfer the
$$ystemUpdate folder (the one you renamed in Step 2) to the root of a FAT32-formatted USB stick (I recommend 512MB+).

Step 4

Connect your USB stick to your console, power it on and accept the update when prompted.

UPDATED:

There are different messages shown based on what the system update is going to install.

If you see this:

Do
NOT accept the update because this is telling you that the system is going to attempt a complete update which updates bootloaders and it will also burn eFUSEs.

If you see this:

It is
fine to proceed with the update.

This is the system telling you that additional components are missing (Avatars and Kinect).

T
he console will reboot once the update has installed successfully
and you should now see Avatars and have Kinect installed (don't forget to configure it!).

If the console doesn't do anything, ensure that:

• The update folder is named correctly.

• The system update you are applying matches the JTAG/RGH dashboard/kernel version your console is currently running (see Step 1).

• You inserted the USB stick before booting the console (FSD can block the system update).

If, after all this is attempted, the console still won't update, go into FSD and then into the File Manager, look for a
SysExt: folder and delete what you can (don't forget to enable File Manager Advanced Mode in General Settings first).

Reboot the console and you'll be told that there are corrupted and/or missing files - reboot the console to resolve this.

Do this with the USB stick connected to your console and it should prompt you to accept the update.

TIP

I find that if I boot the console to NXE/Metro (hold RB after powering the console on) and THEN insert the USB stick, the update prompt shows up.

Last edited:

pdpiech

Jul 15, 2012
Re: How to install Avatar & Kinect Data on a JTAG/RGH console

Now this assumes you have Dashlaunch set up to block updates, right? So, you can keep the name of the folder as "$SystemUpdate" if your launch.ini has that option set to false? I ask because I will be setting up my RGH with this when it arrives. Excellent tutorial by the way!

rjones85

Jul 28, 2012

I followed your tutorial step by step, but I don't get the prompt to update when I reboot my console. My current Dash is 15574, and I'm using the link you gave above. I extracted with 7-zip, renamed the folder, and everything, but it won't update. Ideas?

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com

I followed your tutorial step by step, but I don't get the prompt to update when I reboot my console. My current Dash is 15574, and I'm using the link you gave above. I extracted with 7-zip, renamed the folder, and everything, but it won't update. Ideas?
1. Make sure you've named the folder to $$ystemupdate as specified.
2. You need an official HDD/MU etc for the Avatar update to be installed onto. By official, I mean one formatted and visible in Settings/Storage under NXE.
3. FSD will NOT prompt for an update until you try to run an xbe or container, in case you're trying to do it from FSD.

---------- Post added at 20:02 ---------- Previous post was at 20:00 ----------

Now this assumes you have Dashlaunch set up to block updates, right? So, you can keep the name of the folder as "$SystemUpdate" if your launch.ini has that option set to false? I ask because I will be setting up my RGH with this when it arrives. Excellent tutorial by the way!
There's only two instances where $$ystemupdate wouldn't work.

1. You didn't add dashlaunch patches to your build - TBH this should be standard practice now.
2. You intentionally changed noupdate = false in launch.ini. If noupdate is NOT present in launch.ini, it is assumed to be TRUE.

Reactions: PeteZR1 and pdpiech

rjones85

Jul 28, 2012

Can you confirm that noupdater = true exists in launch.ini?
I had someone do the RGH + setup - where would I check this?

1. Make sure you've named the folder to $$ystemupdate as specified.
2. You need an official HDD/MU etc for the Avatar update to be installed onto. By official, I mean one formatted and visible in Settings/Storage under NXE.
3. FSD will NOT prompt for an update until you try to run an xbe or container, in case you're trying to do it from FSD.

---------- Post added at 20:02 ---------- Previous post was at 20:00 ----------

There's only two instances where $$ystemupdate wouldn't work.

1. You didn't add dashlaunch patches to your build - TBH this should be standard practice now.
2. You intentionally changed noupdate = false in launch.ini. If noupdate is NOT present in launch.ini, it is assumed to be TRUE.
I formatted the USB drive through the 360, so it should definitely be compatible. Is there some way to adjust the dashlaunch settings? I also renamed the folder as indicated.

If I go to general settings in FSD, "Receive update notices at startup" is unchecked. IS that possibly it?

Last edited:

BL4K3Y

VIP Member
Jul 7, 2010
Colne, Lancashire (UK)

I had someone do the RGH + setup - where would I check this?
I don't think FSD can read text files so you would FTP/transfer launch.ini to your computer to check.

Although I'm sure you can re-run the DashLauch 3.02 installer and check there, but I always build my images with DashLaunch patches included and I have a predefined INI.

Last edited:

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com

Best to ask them. TBH I don't even have noupdater in my launch.ini files I do for others as it's a pointless and dangerous option to enable. Best to omit from launch.ini altogether.

Reactions: xXBlaZeXx

rjones85

Jul 28, 2012

Alright, I PM'd my modder. Hopefully this can be fixed easily.

rjones85

Jul 28, 2012

Actually, got it to install. Just had to leave it as $systemupdate . The two $'s was apparently the problem.

rjones85

Jul 28, 2012

Is this something I should be wary of in the future? Just making sure I don't update from a disc?

+rep for all the help!

BL4K3Y

VIP Member
Jul 7, 2010
Colne, Lancashire (UK)

Basically, it is there to stop you accidentally applying an official update (which would normally be named $systemupdate).

It overrides the default file name meaning we need to use $$ystemUpdate instead and you aren't going to accidentally rename to that, are you? Lol.

rjones85

Jul 28, 2012

Understandable.

Hmm. I just plugged my kinect in and now it says it needs an update -- This is fine to just let the kinect do it's thing right? It's not going to mess with the RGH? I applied the update already in this thread and Avatars are working.

BL4K3Y

VIP Member
Jul 7, 2010
Colne, Lancashire (UK)

Sorry, I missed that from the guide (added now - I wrote this guide at 4:30AM and I was rather tired lol).

This small tutorial will help you install them (ensure your Kinect hardware is connected before you begin or you will be prompted to update again once you connect it).
I hope this helps.

Simply run the update again with your Kinect hardware plugged in :).

Last edited:

rjones85

Jul 28, 2012

Alright, I'll give it another go with the kinect plugged in!

rjones85

Jul 28, 2012

All is well! It'd be wonderful if I could get Flash FXP to work now!