How to Install Avatar & Kinect Data on a JTAG/RGH Console

adrian

Noob Account
May 13, 2018
Find out what kernel version you have on your console, download that version of the official update, put it on a flash drive, go to metro dash, insert flashdrive and apply update. It is that simple.
It's not that simple. I have done it more than 20 times before but on 2 E consoles it doesn't seem to work anymore.

I have done anything written on this forum (enable/disable noupdater, rename to $$ystemUpdate / $SystemUpdate / $$ystemupdate / $systemupdate, put all instances on USB stick even in the same time, using capital or non capital letters, use two different USB fat32 sticks that worked on other consoles, tried in original dasbboard, pull the power cable for 30 seconds, disconnect the USB stick, connect the power cable, connect the USB stick and power on, used the 17511 dashboard/kernel update exactly like on the console, I booted the console to Metro (hold RB as the console boots up), 250GB hdd is present and working and anything I could come up with.

This is why I'm interested doing it in J runner. So is there anyone who could guide me through the process?

Thank you very much!

Last edited:

adrian

Noob Account
May 13, 2018
I have added information to the OP about using XeBuild's Update Mode.

We strongly recommend using this method to update your JTAG/RGH kernel version in the future.

Avatar/Kinect data will be sent to your console as part of the update process if the correct system update is present.

Can you be more explicit? A step by step tutorial will be great. Thank you.
I'm facing problems updating Avatar/Kinect data.

Last edited:

gavin_darkglide

VIP Member
Dec 14, 2012
It is really simple to use the J-Runner/Xebuild method as well. First, put the $SYSTEMUPDATE folder in the xebuild\<kernelversion> folder. Open up a command prompt in the xebuild directory. Start dashlaunch installer on xbox, and in the configurator section enable updserv. Leave dashlaunch installer open. type into command prompt "xebuild update -e 17511\$systemupdate" or "xebuild update -e 17511" and it should send the data, assuming that is the version of the kernel you are using on the console. You could also just do the whole update over, and use "xebuild update -f 17511" This will reflash the nand, and install avatar data to the hdd.

amosrohe

Noob Account
Sep 20, 2018
hi
try all the method including the xebuild (-e does not exist)

can you explain on how to build the NAND to update the kinect ?

i am getting the "go to xbox update " all the time
got an corona 4g dash 17526

amosrohe

Noob Account
Sep 20, 2018
hi
i got two xbox systems the jasper and the corona 4g
both have the dash 2.0.17526
the kinect work fine with the jasper (originally came with it) (no RGH) DVD hack
i tried to connect it to the corona (RGH) and in the end it ask for update
i update it using usb and it updated and reset
afther reset it asked again for the update and the kincet have a green light on it (as before)
can you help me ? is the corona need a diffrent HW
?

rick48235

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2010
MICH
hi
i got two xbox systems the jasper and the corona 4g
both have the dash 2.0.17526
the kinect work fine with the jasper (originally came with it) (no RGH) DVD hack
i tried to connect it to the corona (RGH) and in the end it ask for update
i update it using usb and it updated and reset
afther reset it asked again for the update and the kincet have a green light on it (as before)
can you help me ? is the corona need a diffrent HW
?
what I do I sine you have it on that dash I take that orginal ms update the dash you have on console and put on a usb 2.0 flash dive place into xbox turn on Kinect like you playing a game and it will take that avatar update off there since it is already on the dash. that is how I do my update. also start your own

mizo

Noob Account
Mar 16, 2019
southend
Hi all,
I have an unusual problem.
I bought an xbox 360 elite falcon with (as I know) only lt3.0 mod.
The burnt discs can be played , it's fine but No avatar and no kinect.
The kinect itself works, tested on different xbox.
The bought xbox360 recognizes kinect when it's pluged but the message comes up:
"system update is required to use kinect"

I've done the dash update to 17526, same as the 1st page describes it but still no avatar and no kinect.

What now?

Please help thank you.

P.S.
I'm an R&D engineer with soldering skill if needed for further steps , for example eFuses, R6T3, U6T1, U6T2.

Hackerjac

The Minifigure
Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
Top Poster Of Month
Jun 2, 2010
Denmark
Hi all,
I have an unusual problem.
I bought an xbox 360 elite falcon with (as I know) only lt3.0 mod.
The burnt discs can be played , it's fine but No avatar and no kinect.
The kinect itself works, tested on different xbox.
The bought xbox360 recognizes kinect when it's pluged but the message comes up:
"system update is required to use kinect"

I've done the dash update to 17526, same as the 1st page describes it but still no avatar and no kinect.

What now?

Please help thank you.

P.S.
I'm an R&D engineer with soldering skill if needed for further steps , for example eFuses, R6T3, U6T1, U6T2.
Did you have the kinect connected to your box wehn upgrading it to latest dash ?

nofeloniesyet

Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
Jan 16, 2011
Nowhere
if its a falcon it also needs a hard drive attatched,as they have no storage for that part of the update.

mizo

Noob Account
Mar 16, 2019
southend
Did you have the kinect connected to your box wehn upgrading it to latest dash ?
Thanks Hackerjac to contact me, Yes I did connect it.

I know it looks like impossible situation but really this is what's happening with me.
if its a falcon it also needs a hard drive attatched,as they have no storage for that part of the update.
Thanks to you too nofeloniesyet to pay attention to me.
Yes there is a 120GB HDD attached.

I thought , maybe I need to format the HDD to start the whole torture from beginning , but I don't know if that helps even.

mizo

Noob Account
Mar 16, 2019
southend
Problem solved.
Thanks for the attention.
Probably some of you want to know what went wrong.
Well, the main description on the 1st page is good but some steps are missing.
1. Once the fat32 formatted pendrive was used (update been made), you can NOT use it again. Need to format it again. (I just realized that the xbox360 locks the pendrive to read-only and the xbox remembers that the update was done from that pendrive so it won't show update message again if you plug the usb stick back until you format it and copy the $Systemupdate folder again)
2. To force the xbox360 to copy the avatar/kinect files as well, the dashboard update version on pendrive must be the same as the current xbox360 dashboard version.​
(Originally, I thought the update means update the version number to higher version. It's wrong. The avatar/kinect update means use the same update version and do the update because until I was using higher dashboard version the dashboard version was updated but the avatar/kinect was NOT)

Support Our Sponsors