How to Install Avatar & Kinect Data on a JTAG/RGH Console

blackpc

Aug 6, 2012
Re: How to install Avatar & Kinect Data on a JTAG/RGH console

i brought console long time ago, dont have his details anymore but thanks for both of ya time.

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com

Most people can build you a new image as a service if you send them a copy of your current NAND and CPU key.

SOD_FrosT

VIP Member
May 14, 2012
Presque Isle, ME

lol thanks.. i think i will give up on this quest of updating.. and damn i brought a kinect for nothing.. grrrrr. might aswell buy another console.
Why give up? Its really just about the easiest thing that can be done. It can even be done on a jtag/rgh that no longer has NAND-X connections attached as long as its done right.

Here's a tutorial that a search pulled up...

http://www.team-xecuter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58111&highlight=update+jrunner+flash360

Flash360 can be used to get yourself an original dump to update. It can also be used to flash the dump you create in JRunner following the steps in the tutorial. All you need is your CPU Key, and that can be had by booting to Xell (Press the Eject button to fire up the xbox.)

Here's a video walkthrough using "Easy Freeboot" which is an alternative to JRunner. The steps are very similar, however I'd still use JRunner or XeBuild rather than Easy Freeboot. If you have issues or botch your console, I'd be willing to do it for you. It's fairly simple really.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjHLPzUraNs"]How to update your jtag to the Kinect dashboard W/Voice - MrXboxHD - YouTube[/ame]

As martin said, if you want to send me a copy of your nand dump and the CPU key in a PM I'd be happy to build an image for you that you could use flash360 to install onto the console. I've done a bunch of them. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: blackpc

blackpc

Aug 6, 2012

Why give up? Its really just about the easiest thing that can be done. It can even be done on a jtag/rgh that no longer has NAND-X connections attached as long as its done right.

Here's a tutorial that a search pulled up...

http://www.team-xecuter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58111&highlight=update+jrunner+flash360

Flash360 can be used to get yourself an original dump to update. It can also be used to flash the dump you create in JRunner following the steps in the tutorial. All you need is your CPU Key, and that can be had by booting to Xell (Press the Eject button to fire up the xbox.)

Here's a video walkthrough using "Easy Freeboot" which is an alternative to JRunner. The steps are very similar, however I'd still use JRunner or XeBuild rather than Easy Freeboot. If you have issues or botch your console, I'd be willing to do it for you. It's fairly simple really.

How to update your jtag to the Kinect dashboard W/Voice - MrXboxHD - YouTube

As martin said, if you want to send me a copy of your nand dump and the CPU key in a PM I'd be happy to build an image for you that you could use flash360 to install onto the console. I've done a bunch of them. :)
awesome will try this in a couple of hours time thanks.

blackpc

Aug 6, 2012

HEY SOD_FrosT i done exactly what that video done.. and now my xbox doesn't load.. lol

got cpu key and dvd key, also used flash360 to nand went to easy freeboot done a upnand and then back to xbox360 xex menu and continue witht he update and now it doesn't load. lol just green power light is on.

Last edited:

BL4K3Y

VIP Member
Jul 7, 2010
Colne, Lancashire (UK)

Use J-Runner to build a new (15574) glitch image using an existing NAND dump and CPU key and write that to your console then proceed with this tutorial.

Search the forum for more answers, this thread is getting off-topic.

blackpc

Aug 6, 2012

ok sorry how can i write to console if i cant load it?

Raptor7

Noob Account
May 2, 2004

Googled and forum searched ad nauseum, but to no avail.

Just wrapped up my RGH1 on my Zephyr, huzzah. Being familiar with previous JTAGs, I knew a blank avatar meant following exactly what was described in this tutorial in post #1.

I'm running my JRunner 15574 RGH, so I've natrually applied the 15574 retail update to install avatars. I know the install was "successful-ish", because my avatar is now clothed and no longer a blank white model.

However, if I attempt to launch the avatar editor from the stock dash or from within freestyle (using the mini-blade profile - edit link), I get the:

Game couldn't start. Try downloading the game again. And the screen just returns to FSD (as per dashlaunch defaults).

I've tried clearing the HDD cache, rebooting with the USB update still in the drive and nada.

Has anyone come across this? :confused:

I've come across vague posts similar but not quite the same discussing the fact I may need my HDD to connect to a live enabled console to get some sort of avatar cache data that doesn't come with an offline update? That doesn't seem like it would be reasonable.

I'm not sure if this is 100% avatar update related as per this thread, but it seemed relevant to post here as I don't quite appear to have a working avatar system setup.

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com

Googled and forum searched ad nauseum, but to no avail.

Just wrapped up my RGH1 on my Zephyr, huzzah. Being familiar with previous JTAGs, I knew a blank avatar meant following exactly what was described in this tutorial in post #1.

I'm running my JRunner 15574 RGH, so I've natrually applied the 15574 retail update to install avatars. I know the install was "successful-ish", because my avatar is now clothed and no longer a blank white model.

However, if I attempt to launch the avatar editor from the stock dash or from within freestyle (using the mini-blade profile - edit link), I get the:

Game couldn't start. Try downloading the game again. And the screen just returns to FSD (as per dashlaunch defaults).

I've tried clearing the HDD cache, rebooting with the USB update still in the drive and nada.

Has anyone come across this? :confused:

I've come across vague posts similar but not quite the same discussing the fact I may need my HDD to connect to a live enabled console to get some sort of avatar cache data that doesn't come with an offline update? That doesn't seem like it would be reasonable.

I'm not sure if this is 100% avatar update related as per this thread, but it seemed relevant to post here as I don't quite appear to have a working avatar system setup.
This could be dashlaunch related. Can you start a new thread together with this information and the contents of your launch.ini?

PeteZR1

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Spain
Hi, I've tried this in a Slim Trinity I RGH'd today and it doesn't seem to work.

Dash version is 15574, I extract the folder $systemupdate to the FAT-32 formatted USB drive, rename it as $$ystemUpdate, boot up the console fine on FSD, jump to NXE, insert the USB... and nothing happens.

What am I doing wrong?

BL4K3Y

VIP Member
Jul 7, 2010
Colne, Lancashire (UK)
Hi, I've tried this in a Slim Trinity I RGH'd today and it doesn't seem to work.

Dash version is 15574, I extract the folder $systemupdate to the FAT-32 formatted USB drive, rename it as $$ystemUpdate, boot up the console fine on FSD, jump to NXE, insert the USB... and nothing happens.

What am I doing wrong?
Pull the power cable for 30 seconds, disconnect the USB stick, connect the power cable, connect the USB stick and power on.

You should then get a prompt to accept the update.

By the way, you should only be renaming the update folder to $$ystemUpdate if you have DashLaunch installed and noupdater = true in launch.ini.

Last edited:
Reactions: PeteZR1

PeteZR1

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Spain
Now it's working. You nailed it, as usual BL4K3Y, you're a star mate! ;)

Last edited:

Major Awesome

Noob Account
Oct 26, 2010
Hi, i am a total noob and just brought a kinect for my jtagged xbox and would very much appreciate some guidance.
My version is 15574 and i got avatars working, i got dashlaunch from my external usb hdd and my xbox memory card is about out of free space (got no internal hdd)
But when i plug my kinect in it says that it needs a update in order to work.
I have now tried putting the 15574 system update on a fat32 flashdrive and tried naming it both $systemupdate and $$ystemupdate, but it only tells me that it have a update when i plug the kinect device in.
When i plug in the kinect it looks like this:

What should i do?
Thanks for your time

Major Awesome

Noob Account
Oct 26, 2010
So it does not matter that i have the usb flashdrive in while i do it?
I just have to make sure i dont break my console before i do it, i have come to love it too much :)