How to install custom themes in SX OS using .nxtheme format

Game_Over

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Top Poster Of Month
Dec 2, 2010
This guide will show you how to install custom themes for use with SX OS.

This should work on firmware v5.x and v6.x. Lower firmwares haven't been tested.

This guide currently works best on sysnand. You may run into issues following this guide if your emunand firmware version is different than your sysnand version. I will update the guide with more info on this at a later time.

Preparation

You will need the following:

- Hekate: https://github.com/CTCaer/hekate/releases

- Lockpick: https://github.com/shchmue/Lockpick/releases

- Switch Theme Injector: https://github.com/exelix11/SwitchThemeInjector/releases

Put all of these onto the root of your SD card before you begin this guide.

hekate_ctcaer_4.6.bin
Lockpick.nro
NxThemesInstaller.nro

Instructions:

First thing you will need to do is use the Hekate payload to dump some information from your console onto your SD card.

Make sure the Hekate payload is placed on the root of your SD card. (Current version is hekate_ctcaer_4.6.bin)

Power your switch completely off, then boot up while holding vol+ to enter the SX Bootloader.

Tap Options -> Tap Payloads -> Tap hekate_ctcaer_4.6.bin (or whatever version is current when you follow this guide)

Once the payload starts you can navigate the options using the Vol+ and Vol- buttons and use Power to make your selection.

Now to dump your fuse information...

Use the Volume buttons to highlight Console Info, then press Power make your selection.

01.jpg

Inside the Console Info menu, move down to Print fuse info and press Power.

04.jpg

You will then see your fuse information and secure key on the screen.

05.jpg

PRESS POWER AGAIN to dump this information to your SD card. You will see "Done!" appear.

Press power once again to go back to the console info menu. This time move down and select Print TSEC keys, and press Power.

02.jpg

Just like the fuses, you will see your TSEC keys appear on screen.

PRESS POWER AGAIN to dump this info to your SD card.

03.jpg

Okay, we are done with the Hekate bootloader. Now you can hold the power button to power down your switch, or navigate through the menus and reboot.

Now you need to open the Lockpick Homebrew app.

You screen should look like this once Lockpick is finished.

2019010513160400-DB1426D1DFD034027CECDE9C2DD914B8.jpg

Once that is complete, you are ready to start working with themes.

The next thing you need to do is find a good theme to use. For this example, we will use a theme from Hitman43 over on MaxConsole.
https://www.maxconsole.com/threads/super-mario-v0-1-switch-theme.50562/
Create a folder on the root of your sd card called "themes"

drop all of the .nxtheme files into that folder.

Now the fun begins!

Launch the NXThemes Installer homebrew app

2019010513243100-DB1426D1DFD034027CECDE9C2DD914B8.jpg

Before you can install the themes, a bit of setup is necessary. Move down to "Extract home menu" and press A

Then press the + button and the home menu will be extracted for use with custom themes.

2019010513254900-DB1426D1DFD034027CECDE9C2DD914B8.jpg

You will see the following message.

2019010513285700-DB1426D1DFD034027CECDE9C2DD914B8.jpg

Press A a couple times until you are back to the main Installer screen.

Move up to the Themes option and you will see your available themes on the right!

Just highlight the theme files you want to install and Press A.

For this theme, I had to install all 5 .nxtheme files.

Reboot your switch!

2019010513324900-57B4628D2267231D57E0FC1078C0596D.jpg

Enjoy your new theme!

Important

REMOVE YOUR THEME BEFORE YOU UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE. IF YOUR FIRMWARE VERSION CHANGES AFTER A THEME IS INSTALLED, THE SWITCH MAY NOT BOOT PROPERLY

NO WORRIES, IF THIS HAPPENS, JUST DELETE THE /sxos/titles/0100000000001000/ FOLDER FROM YOUR SD CARD TO FIX THIS

More themes can be found in our SWITCH CUSTOM THEMES forums. :alien:

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018
Thanks for the guide. I was just thinking about installing a theme.

However, when I open Lockpick, I get an error at the top of the screen with the rainbow flag that says, "Error: Please run with debug svc permissions!"

Game_Over

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Top Poster Of Month
Dec 2, 2010
Awesome tutorial! I got as far as NXThemes and forgot I didn't update to 6.20...
This should work with v5 firmwares as well as v6. I am not sure about prior firmwares.
Double post was auto-merged.

Thanks for the guide. I was just thinking about installing a theme.

However, when I open Lockpick, I get an error at the top of the screen with the rainbow flag that says, "Error: Please run with debug svc permissions!"
I haven't encountered this error. Have you tried again? Maybe with a freshly formatted sd card?

imprezgc8

Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
Nov 26, 2007
The Cloud
Thanks for this!

Are you using emunand?

Game_Over

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Top Poster Of Month
Dec 2, 2010
I don't use emunand for my daily driver. I am only ever inside emunand when doing testing.

So, no... this guide was written and screen shots taken from sysnand.

imprezgc8

Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
Nov 26, 2007
The Cloud
ahhh ok. Was just checking in case lockpick updated and fixed the issue pulling keys in emunand. I got mine sorted out, but once Ninty updates again I'll have to pull keys from a buddies switch again haha

Aug 13, 2018
Tried it again with a formatted SD. Also tried a different SD card. Same issue on sysnand and emunand.

Not sure if it helps, but sysnand is 1.0.0 firmware and emunand is 6.1.0. Using a FAT32 formatted card with SXOS 2.0.1

Raf

Noob Account
Jan 5, 2019
USA
After pressing the + button to extract the home menu nothing happens. This has been done on the latest original firmware and all steps have been followed up to that point. Any thoughts?

Game_Over

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Top Poster Of Month
Dec 2, 2010
Tried it again with a formatted SD. Also tried a different SD card. Same issue on sysnand and emunand.

Not sure if it helps, but sysnand is 1.0.0 firmware and emunand is 6.1.0. Using a FAT32 formatted card with SXOS 2.0.1
I know there are some issues with using this on emunand, I'm not exactly sure about those as I didn't run into them. And with sysnand being on v1.0.0 I don't think it would work there anyway.

After pressing the + button to extract the home menu nothing happens. This has been done on the latest original firmware and all steps have been followed up to that point. Any thoughts?
'
All I can think of for this is that you may not have press A yet, or press the right direction on the d-pad. The Extract home menu (+) " button should have a white border around it when you click +

Raf

Noob Account
Jan 5, 2019
USA
I know there are some issues with using this on emunand, I'm not exactly sure about those as I didn't run into them. And with sysnand being on v1.0.0 I don't think it would work there anyway.

'
All I can think of for this is that you may not have press A yet, or press the right direction on the d-pad. The Extract home menu (+) " button should have a white border around it when you click +
That was exactly it. A silly overlook. Thanks again for your help.

Game_Over

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Top Poster Of Month
Dec 2, 2010
Yeah, the menus are kind of weird. I think that application is still under development. I hope so, because the GUI needs some work to make it more intuitive. Either way, it's a very nice little piece of Homebrew! :)

oilandcoffee

Noob Account
Aug 25, 2018
Great guide thanks, I can use some of the theme such as home menu, lock screen etc but I can not use "All apps menu" & "Settings applet" I get the following error; I'm on SX OS 2.5.2 FW 5.1.0

"All apps menu"
Couldn't find any patch for /themes/systemData/Flaunch/szs
The theme was not installed

"Settings applet"
Couldn't find any patch for /themes/systemData/Set.szs
The theme was not installed

Last edited:

Vger2

Noob Account
Dec 8, 2018
Do you need to have the fuse and tsce keys dumped and lockpick keys on your sd card before you can install themes with the NXThemes Intaller homebrew app?

I'm running SX OS Pro 2.5.2 with sysNand on 4.1.0 and emuNand on 6.1. Went thru steps and extracted home menu and installed theme. Everything looks like it went thru, but after I reboot, NO THEME? Where does NXThemes extract home menu to on SD card?

imprezgc8

Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
Nov 26, 2007
The Cloud
Do you need to have the fuse and tsce keys dumped and lockpick keys on your sd card before you can install themes with the NXThemes Intaller homebrew app?

I'm running SX OS Pro 2.5.2 with sysNand on 4.1.0 and emuNand on 6.1. Went thru steps and extracted home menu and installed theme. Everything looks like it went thru, but after I reboot, NO THEME? Where does NXThemes extract home menu to on SD card?
If you are installing a 6.x theme then you need to make sure that you have the correct keys for for 6.x. Since you are using emunand your key dump is most likely for FW 4.1. Unless it has changed in the last weekish, there is an issue with lockpick dumping emunand keys.

You can check you key file to see what the latest master_key is.

-- Admins if talking keys isn't allowed please let me know. Not sure where that falls. --

Vger2

Noob Account
Dec 8, 2018
If you are installing a 6.x theme then you need to make sure that you have the correct keys for for 6.x. Since you are using emunand your key dump is most likely for FW 4.1. Unless it has changed in the last weekish, there is an issue with lockpick dumping emunand keys.

You can check you key file to see what the latest master_key is.

-- Admins if talking keys isn't allowed please let me know. Not sure where that falls. --
Checked my dumped prod.keys for number of Master keys. Says I have Master keys up thru 05. I'm running emuNand 6.1 firmware and sysnand 4.1.0

imprezgc8

Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
Nov 26, 2007
The Cloud
You need up to master_key 6 for FW 6.x. That's the issue with emuand and lockpick I believe. It pulls the keys for I guess the sysnand even if you're in emunand, though I do not think that FW 4.x is master_key 5 either so thats also weird.

Support Our Sponsors