How to install custom themes in SX OS using .nxtheme format

ChaDaddy

Noob Account
Jul 20, 2019
Party
Hello,
I doesn't work for me. I got a black screen that say the console'll reboot. I use the last os with the last firmware available
How can I do ? thanks

Jinsu

Noob Account
Nov 23, 2018
Can we get this Updated for 8.0.1 Emunand?

Edit: This guide still works and on the download pages, download the newest edition of it. Most themes are also compatible for 8.0.1. The ones i found all worked.

Last edited:

Jinsu

Noob Account
Nov 23, 2018
Hi again! wonderful post. I was wondering is this at all compatible with SX OS Installer? I've installed your theme installer and everything works great, but i also wanted to get sx installer to work too. i get a blank screen for sx installer and i was wondering if your theme installer is interfering with the SX OS version of it. is there any way i can use both?

bcross4life

Noob Account
Oct 6, 2019
Canada
This guide will show you how to install custom themes for use with SX OS.

This should work on firmware v5.x and v6.x. Lower firmwares haven't been tested.

This guide currently works best on sysnand. You may run into issues following this guide if your emunand firmware version is different than your sysnand version. I will update the guide with more info on this at a later time.

Preparation

You will need the following:

- Hekate: https://github.com/CTCaer/hekate/releases

- Lockpick: https://github.com/shchmue/Lockpick/releases

- Switch Theme Injector: https://github.com/exelix11/SwitchThemeInjector/releases

Put all of these onto the root of your SD card before you begin this guide.

hekate_ctcaer_4.6.bin
Lockpick.nro
NxThemesInstaller.nro

Instructions:

First thing you will need to do is use the Hekate payload to dump some information from your console onto your SD card.

Make sure the Hekate payload is placed on the root of your SD card. (Current version is hekate_ctcaer_4.6.bin)

Power your switch completely off, then boot up while holding vol+ to enter the SX Bootloader.

Tap Options -> Tap Payloads -> Tap hekate_ctcaer_4.6.bin (or whatever version is current when you follow this guide)

Once the payload starts you can navigate the options using the Vol+ and Vol- buttons and use Power to make your selection.

Now to dump your fuse information...

Use the Volume buttons to highlight Console Info, then press Power make your selection.

Inside the Console Info menu, move down to Print fuse info and press Power.

You will then see your fuse information and secure key on the screen.

PRESS POWER AGAIN to dump this information to your SD card. You will see "Done!" appear.

Press power once again to go back to the console info menu. This time move down and select Print TSEC keys, and press Power.

Just like the fuses, you will see your TSEC keys appear on screen.

PRESS POWER AGAIN to dump this info to your SD card.

Okay, we are done with the Hekate bootloader. Now you can hold the power button to power down your switch, or navigate through the menus and reboot.

Now you need to open the Lockpick Homebrew app.

You screen should look like this once Lockpick is finished.

Once that is complete, you are ready to start working with themes.

The next thing you need to do is find a good theme to use. For this example, we will use a theme from Hitman43 over on MaxConsole.
https://www.maxconsole.com/threads/super-mario-v0-1-switch-theme.50562/

Create a folder on the root of your sd card called "themes"

drop all of the .nxtheme files into that folder.

Now the fun begins!

Launch the NXThemes Installer homebrew app

Before you can install the themes, a bit of setup is necessary. Move down to "Extract home menu" and press A

Then press the + button and the home menu will be extracted for use with custom themes.

You will see the following message.

Press A a couple times until you are back to the main Installer screen.

Move up to the Themes option and you will see your available themes on the right!

Just highlight the theme files you want to install and Press A.

For this theme, I had to install all 5 .nxtheme files.

Reboot your switch!

Enjoy your new theme!

Important

REMOVE YOUR THEME BEFORE YOU UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE. IF YOUR FIRMWARE VERSION CHANGES AFTER A THEME IS INSTALLED, THE SWITCH MAY NOT BOOT PROPERLY

NO WORRIES, IF THIS HAPPENS, JUST DELETE THE /sxos/titles/0100000000001000/ FOLDER FROM YOUR SD CARD TO FIX THIS

More themes can be found in our SWITCH CUSTOM THEMES forums.
Does this still work with SX OS V2.9.1 and Firmware version 9+?

Game_Over

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Dec 2, 2010
Currently Themes DO work in 2.9.2 SX OS, except for lock screen themes. If you use a lock screen theme, it will cause a crash. Everything is working.

Jinsu

Noob Account
Nov 23, 2018
Was just gonna post what admin just stated. I also can confirm after updating from 8.1.0 to 9.0.1. Using 2.92 SX OS. Lock screen also crashes for me but every other theme works just fine. Make sure to update the NX theme installer app.