RGH How to merge old 'legit' HDD with new 'RGH' HDD...?

peanutismint

May 11, 2014
Cardiff, Wales (UK)
Here's my situation:

I have an 'internal' Xbox 120GB HDD full of profile data, DLC, Arcade/Indie games and 'installed' games from my retail discs.

I recently purchased an RGH Xbox which came with another 'internal' Xbox 120GB HDD on which I've installed FSD and begun ripping all of my legit discs.

I'm aware the DLC/Indie games can only be run from the internal HDD (right??) but I'll probably use a spare 160GB USB drive to hold all of my ripped games, so basically I need to know how best to combine/organise data from the two 'internal' drives so that I'm covered for all eventualities... I've also found that my RGH console will also now run all of my previously installed games without the disc (a nice bonus!).

Should I, for instance, copy all my profile/save game data etc. to the internal 512MB storage, then put all my 'Arcade' and Indie games on an internal HDD and then all the 'full' games on an external HDD??

peanutismint

May 11, 2014
Cardiff, Wales (UK)
Hahah, cool. thanks guys.

A couple of Qs - This seems like a drive explorer tool... Isn't there already one of those out? Is this Buffalo thing better? Also, will I need a special tool to connect it directly to my Xbox HDD? I was hoping to just be able to use USB or FTP everything... FINALLY, I'm on a Mac, so would rather use a Mac app... No chance it's compatible is there??

Antalpromille

VIP Member
Aug 4, 2011
Borås, sweden
Yes, you could boot freestyle from USB, make sure you're not logged in to any profile or using any files on the HDD and just transfer it using ftp.

peanutismint

May 11, 2014
Cardiff, Wales (UK)
Yes, you could boot freestyle from USB, make sure you're not logged in to any profile or using any files on the HDD and just transfer it using ftp.
Ah I see, so I can't be logged into anything while copying...

So am I on the right track in thinking that I could keep all of my Xbox live Arcade and indie games on my internal Xbox hard drive, and then keep all of my game backups and emulators et cetera on an external USB drive? Is that the way most people do it?

peanutismint

May 11, 2014
Cardiff, Wales (UK)
That's a good call. I have a couple of enclosures spare so maybe I'll just do that. Thanks!

Re. XBLA/Indie titles running from external... I heard somewhere that this wasn't possible, but I kind of assumed this information was false (I mean, if you go to all this effort to circumvent the Xbox's security measures to run unsigned code etc, it'd seem pretty dumb to still be stuck only running certain content from the internal drive...!!). So can you confirm that it is in fact possible to run XBLA/Indie content from an external USB drive? Including copying my legally purchased titles from the internal drive to external??

Antalpromille

VIP Member
Aug 4, 2011
Borås, sweden
That's a good call. I have a couple of enclosures spare so maybe I'll just do that. Thanks!

Re. XBLA/Indie titles running from external... I heard somewhere that this wasn't possible, but I kind of assumed this information was false (I mean, if you go to all this effort to circumvent the Xbox's security measures to run unsigned code etc, it'd seem pretty dumb to still be stuck only running certain content from the internal drive...!!). So can you confirm that it is in fact possible to run XBLA/Indie content from an external USB drive? Including copying my legally purchased titles from the internal drive to external??
This is actually news for me too, and if it's true I guess I learned something today also.

gavin_darkglide

VIP Member
Dec 14, 2012
You could also get the xbox360 data transfer kit, which you can just plug the extra hard drive in, and copy data directly on the xbox, I think walmart has them for like $20. as for the dlc/indie games, the only way I know to do that is to format a 32gb portion of the drive for the xbox. I would much rather have everything on 1 internal drive though.