How to recover from losing NAND (but have ECC written)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
Warning
These steps can only be carried out to completion if you created an ECC from your original NAND. If you used a DGX ECC (or a >14719 ECC PRIOR to J-Runner 0.3 (build 1)) then you won't be able to restore a stock NAND. However you can use the steps to build an RGH NAND.

This tut needs screenshots for completion, but in essence will talk you through creating a new NAND when all you have is the current one + ECC written to the first 50 blocks.

TIP

This is documented very well in the J-Runner Manual (p.26), however I will leave this here because it currently doesn't cover the use of a donor SMC or replacing the CB for consoles which use a non-standard bootloader (will add later).

You need the following:

The Dashboard version you were on before you lost the files!

NAND Dump with ECC/Xell written to it.
CPU key
LDV Value (from XeLL - count the number of F's on lines 7 and 8 of your fuses).
Retail donor NAND from same board type (Clean SMC pack here)
J-Runner

Instructions
1. Take the dump of what you have and load into J-Runner.

2. Add your CPU key.

3. Select Tools / Extract Files.

4. Grab the kv_dec.bin and smc-config.bin from 'output' and keep them safe. These are entirely console specific and will allow you to return the console back to stock if you needed to. If you have a trinity and there's an fcrt_enc.bin also extracted, grab this too.

5. Rename the SMC file from the link above to smc.bin - choose the one which matches your board (Thanks to stefanounick for this!)

6. Choose your existing dashboard version in the dropdown of J-Runner. This is important to get right as the existing bootloader (CB) version needs to match the last one you had working on the console. Read my roadmap for noobies to see the differences.

7. Select Retail from the bulleted options - you may as well build a retail NAND.

8. Rename:
kv_dec.bin to kv.bin
smc_dec.bin to smc.bin
fcrt_enc.bin to fcrt.bin (if it extracted).

9. Copy kv.bin, smc.bin, and smc-config.bin to J-Runner\xebuild\data\ (navigate to this folder - you'll see other files in there like crl.bin, dae.bin, extended.bin etc). Copy fcrt.bin if it was extracted.

10. Select Advanced / Create an image without nanddump.bin.

11. You'll be prompted for your LDV - enter it here.

Hopefully it should be done. Write to your NAND and test your new retail image.

EDIT: I've collected a list of CB versions and their sequence numbers.

To cut a long story short, fuses 02 on XeLL tells you what CB will be accepted for the console to boot retail. The CF/CG fuses (lines 7 & 8) get burned every time you take a dashboard update, but the CB fuse may not, depending on what dashboard is being applied.

Fuse 02 will look something like this:

Fuse 02 : F0FF000000000000

To calculate the value, the significant value is the right-most 'F'. In the example above, it's 4 characters from the left so is sequence 4.

This will be tidied up later, but below are the CB versions per console and their sequence values for CB lockdown.

XenonJasper
19211>567231>5
ZephyrTrinity
45581>491881
Corona
Falcon131211
57701>5131803

So if you had F0FF000000000000 as Fuses 02 and you had a Falcon board, then it falls in the 1>5 category and your valid CB would be any dashboard with 5770 as the bootloader. Cross check that against my RGH Roadmap for noobies and you'll see that 5770 is acceptable for dashboards from 8495 to 14699.

Similarly if it was a Trinity, then CB 9231 would be the target CB so any dash from 15572 to present (16203) would be fine to build. The list covers the most common CB values.

Last edited:

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
Martin, if you take a look at pg 26 of userguide in JR folder! you should find all the pics you need (as this process is in there!) :cool2:
It is, however it needs to be updated as the SMC from an ECC image wouldn't be valid for retail. You still need the donor SMC.

I'll update the doc either way - thanks.

Reactions: lordofcombo

asiangrafx

VIP Member
Dec 8, 2011
USA
got my split cb refurb falcon to run on rgh2 but i cant seem to match the cb for making a retail nand. will wait for the advanced tutorial :)

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
got my split cb refurb falcon to run on rgh2 but i cant seem to match the cb for making a retail nand. will wait for the advanced tutorial :)
What dash was it on? I'm assuming it's a 5772 CB.

Advanced tut tomorrow (hopefully)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Reactions: silent13clk

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
im gone to try this one more time then report back

---------- Post added at 01:51 ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 ----------

14699 dash

---------- Post added at 01:51 ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 ----------

still getting the same error
There are no errors about kv.bin in that log.

I've updated the tutorial on how to deal with fcrt.bin. Please read it again.

Reactions: big6boss9

asiangrafx

VIP Member
Dec 8, 2011
USA
What dash was it on? I'm assuming it's a 5772 CB.

Advanced tut tomorrow (hopefully)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
that is correct, actually dont remember which dash it was on but i know it was a refurb so rgh2 was the only option

Last edited:

stefanounick

VIP Member
Jun 9, 2010
Orbiting Sun
that is correct, actually dont remember which dash it was on but i know it was a refurb so rgh2 was the only option
im assuming the advanced section is this:
(it will be explained way better by martinc, but for now mine will suffice ;) )

change the dash's _retail.ini file
in the motherboard bootloader section, [falconbl] in this case, you need to change the bootloaders to include the specific cb, 5572 in this case, which is a split one as well,
so
cba_5772.bin,E3696F7E
cbb_5772.bin,FB5AB9A4

the second number is the CRC of the CB, i'll upload a little app in a few on how to calculate it correctly

also those cb's must be in the jrunner common folder in order for xebuild to use them

stefanounick

VIP Member
Jun 9, 2010
Orbiting Sun
how do i use that tool? i get an error could not read .\xeBuild\14699\xenonclatin.xt

i was googling some one said the cb is worng
it isnt nuclear physics..

it means you need that file, restart it, let it download it and it will work

otis420

Jan 6, 2012
winnipeg,MB
ok got that working thx now got a new prob i flashed the 360 and got the 3 red lights and a black sceen worng dash maybe thats with the on prg and then on nor it works does that mean i can go on live now after i update

stefanounick

VIP Member
Jun 9, 2010
Orbiting Sun
you should have the CR to PRG if you have retail dash flashed, if it worked on PRG, then yes update, and dont forget to read your nand and save a backup, it may come in handy, you never know

Status
Not open for further replies.