How to repair the Probe v2 cuts using solder

BGAMods

VIP Member
Jan 20, 2010
UK
bgamods.co.uk
Re: How to repair the cuts using solder

as always tj mate spot on. it just shows how simple it really is but i doubt evenm this vid will stop people frying their boards cause some people are beyond help. but good work again mate.

akiris

Nov 16, 2010
its specifically said on the video that 15w iron is required for soldering. well since i have 30w iron, will it burn the board? I dont have a 15w iron, only 30w

modmonster

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2009
Cheshire, UK
xboxmods.wordpress.com
its specifically said on the video that 15w iron is required for soldering. well since i have 30w iron, will it burn the board? I dont have a 15w iron, only 30w
It depends on how skilfull you are, but as your looking at this tut and asking that question, I'm gonna go with 'yes'.
Do yourself a favour and buy a new iron with a small tip.

akiris

Nov 16, 2010
the thing is im not that skilfull, ok thnx for ur answer, ill buy the 15w iron

JammyJules

VIP Member
Jan 22, 2010
This is great - I've been a professional programmer for the last 20 years - and no matter how you try to cover EVERY angle in a well put together tutorial like this - someone, somewhere, will come up with a question!

I'm not flaming akiris - just an observation of life !

Sini Saja

Noob Account
Nov 23, 2010
I am using 50W temperature controlled soldering iron with small conical tip for most of my soldering of surface mount component as well as for soldering tracks of printed circuit board. It is Weller WESD51 soldering iron.
I thing that main thing in soldering is temperature of iron's tip. Electronic temperature control allows precise control of the heat level at the tip of soldering iron. Temperature of iron can be adjusted with the front panel temperature control knob. This means that you can rest assured that your soldering iron is hot enough and ready for soldering, and at same time you know that it is not too hot to burn some temperature-sensitive components on circuit board. If you do not pay attention on temperature of iron’s tip you can accidentally damage or ruin your soldering project by applying too much heat.
I set iron temperature at 350 - 400 degrees Celsius, depends of soldering project.
There is another soldering guide on website:
http://www.soldering-store.com/soldering_guide/soldering_guide.html

JayWeb

Nov 18, 2010
UK
Hi,

Great vid, I have done some very very basic soldering before and I think I can do it well enough.. hopefully.

One question though, I am not sure if this is a dumb question or not.. Does it matter how much flux you put on the board before soldering, if you apply too much flux, will it damage the board?

Its just in that in the above video when repairing the second connection you could see the flux swimming all over the place..

I would have thought that something wet on a circuit board is bad.. as I say, prob a stupid question...

krypt1c

VIP Member
May 23, 2010
Nottingham
I use a toothpick and just put a small amount of flux on the cuts.
Hi,

Great vid, I have done some very very basic soldering before and I think I can do it well enough.. hopefully.

One question though, I am not sure if this is a dumb question or not.. Does it matter how much flux you put on the board before soldering, if you apply too much flux, will it damage the board?

Its just in that in the above video when repairing the second connection you could see the flux swimming all over the place..

I would have thought that something wet on a circuit board is bad.. as I say, prob a stupid question...

eb061879

Noob Account
Sep 14, 2010
Thanks for the great tutorial, I have one question about the flux pen, I purchased rosin flux pen from a local electronics store and was wondering if this was the samething you are using in your tut and will it help? Thank you for your hard work.