LITEON DG-16D2S How to replace a dead liteon

J

justice10

theres also stickys on here that tells u how to read and write that type of drive and what tolls are required

rick48235

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2010
MICH
man there's lots of videos out on flashing your drive out there. google is your best friend. I forget sometimes to use it before I ask question sometimes.

n3232

Oct 30, 2013
man there's lots of videos out on flashing your drive out there. google is your best friend. I forget sometimes to use it before I ask question sometimes.
i dont forget to google first. haha.
but my goal isnt to flash the drive, just to replace the old sh*tty one that doesnt want to read games anymore...

rick48235

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2010
MICH
why don't you just tweet the laser or buy a new laser and replace it. the drive seem to be good just don't read games.

n3232

Oct 30, 2013
i already did the pot tweak using a DMM, and that didnt fix it. i cleaned the laser, and i can physically see the laser turn on and try to read the disc. so i doubt replacing the laser would do anything.

rick48235

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2010
MICH
you know what I have a xbox over here with the same problem it wont read a game. I had a game in my xbox when I updated it and now it wont read games. I took that drive out and try it in another xbox and that drive worked.

daretogo

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2011
Denver, CO
This thread is painful to read.

ill try to throw down a little relevant knowledge though.... If your replacing a LiteOn 9 series 16d2s you can use any other LiteOn 16d2s 7 or 8 series will work fine.

as others have suggested a PCB swap is by far going to be easier than trying to dump the key and flash the new drive, especially since it sounds like you don't have any equipment, if you had a USB 360 pro a ck3 power device and a probe 3 then I'd say flash it, but buy a cheap $5 radioshack iron and just PCB swap. It's such basic soldering it won't be an issue for even the most unskilled beginner.

gazcoigne

BANNED
Jan 31, 2005
Belfast, UK
i already did the pot tweak using a DMM, and that didnt fix it. i cleaned the laser, and i can physically see the laser turn on and try to read the disc. so i doubt replacing the laser would do anything.
just because the laser lights up doesnt mean its still working. all lasers will light up after they have passed the point of death.

trust me ive fixed hundreds of consoles over the years. just buy a new laser and swap it out much easier than trying to learn how to flash.

n3232

Oct 30, 2013
what was your resistance on your pot tweet
I believe it was around 4, and I lowered it to around 3.4.

This thread is painful to read.

ill try to throw down a little relevant knowledge though.... If your replacing a LiteOn 9 series 16d2s you can use any other LiteOn 16d2s 7 or 8 series will work fine.

as others have suggested a PCB swap is by far going to be easier than trying to dump the key and flash the new drive, especially since it sounds like you don't have any equipment, if you had a USB 360 pro a ck3 power device and a probe 3 then I'd say flash it, but buy a cheap $5 radioshack iron and just PCB swap. It's such basic soldering it won't be an issue for even the most unskilled beginner.
thanks, thats helpful.

just because the laser lights up doesnt mean its still working. all lasers will light up after they have passed the point of death.

trust me ive fixed hundreds of consoles over the years. just buy a new laser and swap it out much easier than trying to learn how to flash.
i'll try replacing the laser first since its cheaper, if that doesn't work then ill buy a drive and pcb swap. thanks for the help.
can someone confirm whether or not this is a compatible laser?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/XBox-360-Laser-Optic-Lens-for-Philips-Lite-On-DG-16D2S-DG16-D2S-09C-Drive-/290742282179?pt=US_Video_Gaming_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item43b19727c3