How To Update and Use Liteon iHAS*24-B DVD to iXtreme Burner Max FW *Official Guide*

xchillin

Noob Account
Jan 30, 2011
Re: How To Update Liteon iHAS*24-B DVD Writer to iXtreme Burner Max FW *Official Guid

OK, I get that Verbatims are the best to use (maybe the only ones to use as many say); however, I currently live in a country where they are not available. And to ship them in from outside the country will make them cost around 8 to 10 times the price with shipping and duty charges (I can't afford that).

What is available, and what I do have are Memorex 8X DVD+R dl's. These have worked 100% of the time for every XGD2 disc I have burned in the past (probably about 45 times as I have about 5 left from a 50-disc spindle).

What I would like to know is if anyone has had any luck at all using these Memorex discs to burn XGD3's using this process described in this thread before I go an waste a bunch of my discs (because I don't have that many left either).

Does anyone know if anyone has reported success with Memorex's? I have not attempted to do anything with XGD3 discs yet.

Thanks for any replies! :)

MagicCube

Noob Account
Nov 3, 2011
Re: How To Update Liteon iHAS*24-B DVD Writer to iXtreme Burner Max FW *Official Guid

Hey can sb help me ???
I tried to use the AL0S file but then theres a message that i should contact it in Vendor Mode ...

WTF ??

EvilEmpire83

Apr 22, 2011
So. Cal

"You can use onboard SATA (make sure that it is on a port that has AHCI disabled as there have been many reports of failures if you use an AHCI enabled port)"

Is this only to flash it? Should i not use AHCI to burn? Thanks in advance.

xchillin

Noob Account
Jan 30, 2011

I'm a little confused. Your tutorial clearly states that "The important value is the firmware version B which is the chipset. Versions A and Y will NOT work."

Well I have an iHAS124 A. And so I looked at C4eva's notes for his Burner Max firmware and what he says in his notes are this:

"The “iXtreme Burner MAX” customized PC DVD burner fw allows for burning 100% of an XGD3 ISO to regular DVD+R DL discs. Preferred media for error-free burns are Verbatim MKM001 (burning at 2.4x), and Verbatim MKM003 (burning at 2.4x or 4x). Note: “A” versions have MTK chipset, but are old and untested. “Y” versions have the NEC chipset, which is not supported. All regular features of the burner function as normal, including LightScribe, LabelTag, Smart-Erase, Smart-Burn, Smart-X, and SuperAllWrite. Even with the custom iXtreme Burner MAX fw flashed to the drive, it is still fully functional as a regular burner, not only for XGD3, but also XGD2, and all other ISOs and data, up to 8.7GB worth."

So he makes a distinction between "A" with its MTK chipset is "only" old and untested, but then clearly states that the "Y" with the NEC chipset is unsupported. He doesn't come out and say the "A" is unsupported; so does that mean it may be possible with an "A" model?

I have an iHAS124 A. It's burnt every XGD2 game 100% successfully for over 2-years now. Yes, it's old, but so is the Xbox 360, lol ;)

frayed

DINDU NUFFIN
VIP Member
Dec 22, 2010
Stuck in your tub

I'm a little confused. Your tutorial clearly states that "The important value is the firmware version B which is the chipset. Versions A and Y will NOT work."

Well I have an iHAS124 A. And so I looked at C4eva's notes for his Burner Max firmware and what he says in his notes are this:

"The “iXtreme Burner MAX” customized PC DVD burner fw allows for burning 100% of an XGD3 ISO to regular DVD+R DL discs. Preferred media for error-free burns are Verbatim MKM001 (burning at 2.4x), and Verbatim MKM003 (burning at 2.4x or 4x). Note: “A” versions have MTK chipset, but are old and untested. “Y” versions have the NEC chipset, which is not supported. All regular features of the burner function as normal, including LightScribe, LabelTag, Smart-Erase, Smart-Burn, Smart-X, and SuperAllWrite. Even with the custom iXtreme Burner MAX fw flashed to the drive, it is still fully functional as a regular burner, not only for XGD3, but also XGD2, and all other ISOs and data, up to 8.7GB worth."

So he makes a distinction between "A" with its MTK chipset is "only" old and untested, but then clearly states that the "Y" with the NEC chipset is unsupported. He doesn't come out and say the "A" is unsupported; so does that mean it may be possible with an "A" model?

I have an iHAS124 A. It's burnt every XGD2 game 100% successfully for over 2-years now. Yes, it's old, but so is the Xbox 360, lol ;)
c'mon bud $18.99 for a new iHas

xchillin

Noob Account
Jan 30, 2011

The problem is I currently am assigned in a third-world country where obtaining one will probably be impossible....and shipping one in will probably make the total cost over $100 maybe even $150 with shipping and duty...not to mention take forever to get here.

I wonder if I can "spoof" my "A" model into a "B" model with the "B" firmware?

Last edited:

McCullxch

Noob Account
Nov 4, 2011

How do you flash it to latest stock firmware? Any tutorials anywhere for it?

millu27

Noob Account
Nov 4, 2011
San Diego

Hi everyone,

first of all many thanks Ubergeek for such a detailed tutorial, and the Team-Xecuter people for rocking the XBOX for so long. I have a problem at the very beginning of the tuto, and I was hopping if I could get some help.

My knwoledge on computer sciences is rather limited, so I apologize in advance for any navie question. I have tried to find the solution of my problem in the forum, but with no success so far. If this has been already answered, I would be very happy to be pointed towards the corresponding link.

So here is my problem:

I recently bought (from NewEgg.com) a LiteOn iHAS324-98 B, Manufactured Date August 2011. Since I only have a laptop (a Dell Studio 1555), I also bought an External Case 5.25'' (at Fry's) Sabrent, with USB 2.0 to SATA interface.

I plug the LiteOn in the case with SATA cable, and then I connect the case to my laptop with the USB. That worked, because my laptop recognized the device:

Drive 3: ATAPI iHAS324 B AL1A ( E: )

So first I want to update my ODD from AL1A to AL1B. I downloaded the AL1B.exe file from this tutorial. After executing AL1B.exe, the Programming part reaches 100%, but when the Inquiring appears, I get this error:

Unable to flash firmware. Please contact with your vendor !

2-0-0-0 ATAPI iHAS324 B AL1A

And that is my problem. Why I can't update my LiteOn?

Thank you very much and sorry for such a long post, but I tried to provide as many details as possible.

Thanks!

Last edited:

nonogp

Nov 1, 2010

If you've got a x360usb pro, try with it.

If not, is it possible for you to try the flash in a desktop ? One of you or of a friend ?

millu27

Noob Account
Nov 4, 2011
San Diego

If you've got a x360usb pro, try with it.

If not, is it possible for you to try the flash in a desktop ? One of you or of a friend ?
Hi, thanks for your answer.

No, I don't have a x360usb pro.

My roommate does have a desktop, so we will try that tomorrow as a final alternative. It is just I still don't understand why I can't update the FW of the LiteOn having it plugged to my laptop with a USB to SATA connection.

carlnw1975

Jun 13, 2011
Nottingham

great tut uber but i need help, flashed my iHAS 124 to ubers tut and all went well. the problem i`m getting now is that when i play a back up XGD3 game it either starts loading and pops up with disc unreadable and i also get similar on bf3 back up get to the start menu and then pops up saying disc unreadable. im using the required verbs and have so far wasted about 9 of them.
any ideas as to what the problem might be?

iamtheantihero

Noob Account
Nov 8, 2011

thanks for the tut, very easy. one question, is it not necessary to backup the eeprom?

that question may have been asked, i didn't check.

DigitalGhost

VIP Member
Oct 17, 2011
The problem is I currently am assigned in a third-world country where obtaining one will probably be impossible....and shipping one in will probably make the total cost over $100 maybe even $150 with shipping and duty...not to mention take forever to get here.

I wonder if I can "spoof" my "A" model into a "B" model with the "B" firmware?
A uses a different firmware with a different flash chip capacity. It could theoretically be possible to make it work but someone would need to port the fw to that platform.

gac1967

Noob Account
Nov 6, 2011

Followed the tutorial using a x360 usb pro and external power supply and laptop got to final stage writing flash got a couple blue squares across and then said write failed
Dont know what to do i dont have access to a pc

realrat

Nov 5, 2009
Belgium

Is this drive also capable of ripping 360 games? Would be very easy for backups.. i also don't have any sata connections left in my pc :biggrin: but i will when i can remove the old ripper drive. Bit annoying to constantly switch between them

N.E.Modz

VIP Member
Sep 27, 2009
A.K.A daleh43

Is this drive also capable of ripping 360 games? Would be very easy for backups.. i also don't have any sata connections left in my pc :biggrin: but i will when i can remove the old ripper drive. Bit annoying to constantly switch between them

You can only rip games with a phat liteon or benq drive flashed with 0800 V3 fw.
Connect it up to your Usb pro & ck3i/ck3 pro then you wont need a sata slot. or dont you have them ?

dale;)