How to Update Firmware OFFLINE - Nintendo Switch with ChoiDujourNX

Game_Over

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Dec 2, 2010
How to Update Firmware OFFLINE - Nintendo Switch with ChoiDujourNX

This guide will walk you through updating the system firmware of a Nintendo Switch Console without going online.

Warning
You are solely responsible for anything you do to your switch. Make sure your battery is at 100% charge before you begin. If your console loses power during a firmware update, this could cause you problems.

IMPORTANT: Backup everything from your SD card onto your PC before you begin. You will need at least 30GB of free space to follow this guide.

=========================

PREPARATION

First thing you should do is make sure you are running SX OS 2.0 or later
[Download From Here]

Make sure you have at least 30GB of free space available on your SD card.

Next, perform a full Nand Dump. This step is not "required" per se, but is SUPER MEGA HIGHLY recommended so you have something to restore should you run into a problem during firmware installation.
Without this backup, if you end up with a problem while messing with your firmware, you could end up with a paper weight. Please, do not skip this step!

Hold Vol+ while booting to enter the SX OS Bootloader and tap "Options"

Tap the NAND button on the left

Tap Dump NAND

Tap on Continue

As stated on screen, dumping your NAND will take about an hour. So plug your switch into power and go do something else for an hour. (This took 1 hour and 14 minutes for me)

Once the backup is completed, tap Power Off

Take your SD card out of the Switch and insert into your PC to make a copy of your backup.

The backup is created in a folder named "SXOS". Open that folder and you will see a "backup" folder. Copy this folder off of the SD card and store it in a safe place. Make multiple copies and store in multiple places. If you ever need a backup, you don't want to lose this.

Now that you have your backup copied multiple times and in multiple places, you can delete the backup folder from your SD card to regain the storage space.

=========================

UPDATING

Reminder: You will need to use SX OS 2.0 or higher as ChoiDujourNX does not work on the lower versions of SX OS.

In order to update the switch firmware you will need a few things.

The NX-firmware you want to install - These can be found HERE or HERE
[Do not use the 6.0.0 (Pre-Release) as it is different from the actual Release version.]
Be sure to use a program such as MD5 Checker to verify your .zip file after downloading. If you try to use a corrupt firmware, you are going to have a bad time.
If you are not able to find the firmware you are looking for, you can retrieve firmware files from another switch that has already been updated.
Follow
THIS GUIDE for more information.
ChoidujourNX v1.0.2: Download HERE -- (Credit goes to rajkosto -- there is a donation link at the bottom of the official download page)

Unpack ChoiDujourNXv102.zip and place the ChoiDujourNX.nro file on the root of your SD card.

Create a folder on the root of your SD card called "Firmware", and extract the contents of your NX-firmware .zip file into this folder.

Now you are ready to to install your update onto your Nintendo Switch Console.

Put your SD card back into your Nintendo Switch and boot into SX OS CFW.

Open the Album to trigger the SX Menu.

Use the "R" button to navigate to the HOMEBREW section.

Launch ChoiDujourNX.

Navigate to your firmware folder, it should contain a lot of .nca files. Tap the Choose button

Tap the (exFAT) option for your firmware. Unless you have a very specific reason not to, you should be using exFAT for the best compatibility and support for files larger than 4GB

After the software is finished analyzing the firmware, tap the Select firmware button

Tap Start installation

WARNING - IF ENABLE THE SYSTEM INITIALIZE OPTION IT WILL PERFORM A FULL FACTORY RESET! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!!

If you do happen to erase everything, just restore your nand dump.... that's the whole reason it was created to begin with.

--- You will see in my screen shot that I am already using firmware 6.0.0 and the target firmware is also 6.0.0, so your screen may look a bit different. ---

Next, tap the Reboot button in the bottom right corner. This will start a coutdown to reboot. You can tap Reboot Now! if you want.

This will reboot the console into RCM mode. Using your Pro dongle, or your typical method, boot into SX OS.

You are done. Your console should now be updated to the firmware you have selected.

Note: This guide is not intended to cover information on efuses or emunand. If you have questions concerning these topics, please start a new support thread and ask.

Last edited:

spyke

Jul 25, 2018
Re: How to Update Firmware on a Banned Nintendo Switch

Question: I don't know of any games that requires firmware v6 yet, but assuming one goes out soon, will it come with the firmware build in the card? if so can we install from there without connecting to the internet by running SX OS CFW and loading the XCI or NSP game, or do we need to do it with an original game on the OFW for it to work?

SixNix

Sep 4, 2018

M8, just one question, i use AutoRCM, should be disable before update to 6.0 using ChoidujourNX ?

rory2005

VIP Member
Jan 15, 2007
Sunny old England

I would just to be on the safe side

StraTttheRipper

Noob Account
Nov 7, 2016

I followed this guide and everything went smoothly. Only problem is, I did the controller update...am I boned?

Mack702

VIP Member
Jan 20, 2011
California

Worked like a charm I appreciate the detailed instructions, thanks.

thenightflyer

Noob Account
Jun 23, 2018

I read in another tutorial that if you want to disable auto RCM feature you must downgrade to SX OS version 1.9 or less and remove auto RCM from SX Option menu at boot.

Game_Over

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Dec 2, 2010

I read in another tutorial that if you want to disable auto RCM feature you must downgrade to SX OS version 1.9 or less and remove auto RCM from SX Option menu at boot.
This has been fixed. That was a bug in an older sx os version.

Octogon

Jul 11, 2018

Is there any way to creat my gaming account. I habe wipe everything. But now i can not setup my account . so emailddr. and password . nothing more what i need. Besteht way via editor vor simething else. Did anyone know how to do that vor is there a tool. With Google i couldnt find something. Maybe i have use wrong search key.....s.

Velvet

Nov 9, 2018

Good day!

What would be the purpose of having a banned Nintendo Switch updated to the latest firmware?

Last edited:

Game_Over

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Dec 2, 2010

Good day!

What would be the purpose of having a banned Nintendo Switch updated to the latest firmware?
Some games require newer firmware to play. Also this method can be used to install exFAT support.

Velvet

Nov 9, 2018

Some games require newer firmware to play. Also this method can be used to install exFAT support.
What about banned consoles needing game updates for original game cartridges?

pturcio

Noob Account
Nov 14, 2018

I did this also and it was all smooth sailing. When the process finished i pressed reboot, and now my Switch won't turn back on, as if the battery were dead.....
Any suggestions? I have the SX pro . . . .

edit - it's all working now

Last edited:

koreanano

Noob Account
Jul 29, 2018

So I did a 6.1.0 fw upgrade using this method from 5.1.0, and it worked just fine. Only thing after reboot I had to press Power Button and + button , and then Power button with dongle on to somehow boot into SX OS otherwise it would be black screen all teh way. I was also prompted to do a controller update after fw update... does it do anything upsetting? I clicked "Later" just in case for now.

sgun63

Noob Account
Nov 17, 2018

Hi[FONT=&quot] All,
I just tried to run ChoiDujourNX on [/FONT]
sx[FONT=&quot] os via homebrew, but "firmware" is not showing up as a folder but a blank file icon, does anyone know how I can fix this to be able to select the folder and choose the firmware files inside? Thank you in advance! :)[/FONT]

bibby

Noob Account
Jun 27, 2018

Does the nand dump also dump the BISKeys as well?

sgun63

Noob Account
Nov 17, 2018

[FONT=&quot]solved my problem by unzipping firmware file with pc. now [/FONT]i[FONT=&quot] have 6.0.0 on [/FONT]emunand,[FONT=&quot] but want to re-format my [/FONT]microsd[FONT=&quot] to expat. Not sure how [/FONT]emunand[FONT=&quot] works but can I just backup all the files on my [/FONT]microsd[FONT=&quot] and put them back after formatting to expat? will that work or I will lose [/FONT]emunand[FONT=&quot]? :) Thanks in advance!

[/FONT]