How to Update NAND-X Using A CK3i / CK3 Pro

Ubergeek

Xecuter Groupie
Feb 24, 2003
California, USA
Easy step by step guide on programming a NAND-X with the latest NANDPRO Software.

This guide is essentially for people who already own a CK3 Pro or CK3i. If your sole purpose is to just program an Xecuter CoolRunner and you don't own a CK3i or CK3 Pro then we would recommend you buy the standalone USB to NAND-X ISP Update Cable which will be on sale towards the end of November. If you cant wait then go ahead and get a CK3i - it's one of the most popular products in any modders toolbox anyway :)

We do provide a CK3 to NAND-X ISP Update Cable, however you can make one yourself if you wish. You can simply use one of the cables that comes with the NAND-X and chop it up to suit your needs. Here's some instructions (Do not ask question in this thread about DIY parts - this thread is for the officially manufactured products only)

Requirements:

Xecuter NAND-X (Buy Here)
CK3i or CK3 Pro (Buy Here)
CK3 to NAND-X Update Cable (Buy Here)
Flash Magic Software (Download Here)
NANDPRO v3 (Download Here)

TIP

You can try a higher baud rate if you want to go much faster. 9600 is the flat standard but its slow - but you can go as high as 320000 and it will do it start to finish in seconds

1. Make sure that your CK3 is installed correctly and a COM port is showing. This example shows that the CK3i is on COM 2. Make sure that the CK3 is hooked up to the ISP port on the NAND-X.

2. Install the FlashMagic software. Make sure all the settings are as the picture below.

Step 1:

• Select Device: (LPC2148)
  • COM Port: (Whatever your CK3 is)
  • Baud Rate: 9600
  • Interface: None (ISP)
  • Oscillator (MHz): 12 (If you have problems set it to 14.745)
Step 2:

• Tick Erase Blocks Used By Hex File
Step 3:

• Load the ArmV3.hex that came with NandPro 3 (Thanks Tiros!)
Step 4:

• Tick Verify After Programming
Step 5: Now hit START!

3: Programming...

3. Verifying....

4: Success :)

Troubleshooting:

1. If Flash Magic gives you errors (cant find device etc). Turn the CK3 power off. Then turn on and hit the Start button IMMEDIATELY. That should kick it in.

2. If programming crashes at any stage then your USB may not be providing enough juice so connect the CK3 to the PC through a powered USB hub.

3. If you have a CK3 Pro (REV D) then you will need to solder a single wire to the back of the PCB. Info Here

Note: Only a red light will show on the NAND-X. This is the power LED and is normal. If you hook up the NAND-X direct to USB after programming and it doesn't have the green (some older versions yellow) LED then the firmware did not program and you need to try again.

[ame]http://youtu.be/XKoRhmL2a5k[/ame]

lil BLu3 SMuRF

VIP Member
Jul 20, 2010
Louisiana, USA
How do you update this if you only have a CK3 lite and no CK3i and you don't plan on buying the CK3i? Can't you just update via NAND-X to USB to computer?

EDIT: I don't know if this is the answer so I just wanna double check...

"If your sole purpose is to just program an Xecuter CoolRunner then we would recommend you buy the standalone USB to NAND-X ISP Update Cable which will be on sale towards the end of November"

*HDCM

VIP Member
Sep 6, 2010
How do you update this if you only have a CK3 lite and no CK3i and you don't plan on buying the CK3i? Can't you just update via NAND-X to USB to computer?

"If your sole purpose is to just program an Xecuter CoolRunner then we would recommend you buy the standalone USB to NAND-X ISP Update Cable which will be on sale towards the end of November"
Few options

1. Buy a CK3i
2. Wait for the standalone USB ISP cable uber said he is releasing
3. Most retailers should be able to do it for a small fee.

Buy the CK3i but, its freaking SWEET.

tr4ckerz

VIP Member
Aug 20, 2010
Thank you for this tut Uber. It's clear and understandable as usual in your tutorials :)

Let's hope I can get my CK3i to NAND-X update cable soon.

rogmorax

Oct 1, 2011
Brazil

I think you talk about this cable:

"XCONSOLES: A new cable that gives you the ability to program your NAND-X via USB without the need for an Xecuter CK3 Pro or CK3i..." from Xecuter NAND-X USB Update Cable

cRaZyLeGz

Aug 10, 2010
S. Wales
Nice easy to understand tutorial nice work Uber, if anyone has trouble understanding this I suggest they give the nand x to someone else to do.

Support Our Sponsors