ANSWERED iHAS Warranty

nicxclusive

Dec 23, 2011
NJ
I'm in the process of ordering the LiteOn iHAS 124-04 from newegg, and I was considering to purchase the extended warranty along with it. Though, I do know, since there will be cfw installed on the drive - would it be pointless to purchase the extended warranty, or should I get it - just in case something like the lense goes out, they could replace the drive for me - instead of purchasing a new drive. Well, even though for a 3-year extension it is half the price of the drive (with shipping).

furiouswayne

Feb 2, 2011
I think you will find with most electronic goods, messing with them will void the warranty anyway.

Probably just a waste of cash paying for it

Reactions: nicxclusive

n1ght0wl

BANNED
Nov 30, 2011
London
i would imagine your warranty would be void as you will be flashing it with custom firmware, and there cheap as chips anyway at £13 a drive so id save your money and dont worry about the warranty

Last edited:

bittersuit_98

Jan 14, 2012
Well guys, I suppose you can buy the extended warranty for an 18 dollar drive. With all due respect it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Just mailing the drive back will cost you 10 bucks. You might just buy a new one.

Anyway, I don't think flashing the drive will void the warranty. As I understand, "firmware" updates for "extended media support" are within the foreseeable and proper use of the dvd burner. In any event, if you guys think that the warranty is void by the mere fact of using the burnermax firmware, I guess you can always flash back to stock. Problem solved!.
Besides, flashing the DVD burners does not require tampering with the PCB inside or breaking warranty seals.

ron292001

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2011
I'm in the process of ordering the LiteOn iHAS 124-04 from newegg, and I was considering to purchase the extended warranty along with it. Though, I do know, since there will be cfw installed on the drive - would it be pointless to purchase the extended warranty, or should I get it - just in case something like the lense goes out, they could replace the drive for me - instead of purchasing a new drive. Well, even though for a 3-year extension it is half the price of the drive (with shipping).
Whats the point of an extended warranty on a drive you are going to flash that only costs about £19 anyway :confused:

nicxclusive

Dec 23, 2011
NJ
Wow! I love how this thread hit so many responses, so quickly! lol. Well, that makes a lot of sense now - not to get it. I didn't think about the costs of sending it back, anyway. I wouldn't know with a warranty, if they still would charge to have it sent back. But, since it is not so expensive, again, what would be the point on purchasing the extended warranty if it would cost about $10 to send it back and, if I were to get the longest-term warranty - 3-years, that would be $12 - that's about the price of a new drive.

So, thanks to everyone for providing their input - I think I will go ahead and save my money - maybe buy a pack of smokes, so I can have something to do while I wait for them games to get done.

lol Qaeda

Feb 1, 2011
Extended warranty on an $18 DVD drive is absolutely pointless
Yep... moreso if you have an American Express or something similar (doubles the warranty up to a year).

If there's anything wrong with the drive that'll make you want to return it you'll probably find out within the return period anyway.