Internal SX Pro Dongle

Element18592

VIP Member
Jun 4, 2013
Mine wouldn't output video as long as the Pro had power, again why I added the tact switch after the fact so I'm not sure what the difference is between your switch and mine. You've got me curious now so I'm gonna go back and test a few things. Thanks for the quick reply.

RazorX2018

VIP Member
Jul 3, 2018
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Mine wouldn't output video as long as the Pro had power, again why I added the tact switch after the fact so I'm not sure what the difference is between your switch and mine. You've got me curious now so I'm gonna go back and test a few things. Thanks for the quick reply.
let us know what you find out :)

Game_Over

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Dec 2, 2010
No problem! I was surprised it worked too. I expected otherwise, but once it worked, I put all the screws in it and haven't opened it back up since.

Element18592

VIP Member
Jun 4, 2013

I have no clue ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

-Edit
Fixed broken video embed after forum upgrade

Last edited:

Game_Over

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Dec 2, 2010
I use the original dock that came with the switch. Maybe that dock handles the data differently?
I am at work right now, so I can't get a video for you until this evening if you need one.

Reactions: Element18592

RazorX2018

VIP Member
Jul 3, 2018
[video=youtube;wrhcQ7YJ3Lw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrhcQ7YJ3Lw[/video]

I have no clue ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
from what i can see i would say you either have a faulty wire or dry solder join or something bridged.
i would also check to see if you simply have something touching something it shouldn't.

Last edited:

Element18592

VIP Member
Jun 4, 2013
I use the original dock that came with the switch. Maybe that dock handles the data differently?
I am at work right now, so I can't get a video for you until this evening if you need one.
Should've mentioned but that is an OEM dock. I just 3D printed a new case for it.
from what i can see i would say you either have a faulty wire or dry solder join or something bridged.
i would also check to see if you simply have something touching something it shouldn't.
It's not my soldering. This is my install here:

My install and Game_Over's install is the exact same aside from me adding in the switch.

Last edited:

Game_Over

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Dec 2, 2010
You deserve the credit then for my doing this :smile: When I had the idea, I hit youtube first and saw your video. It went up just a couple days before I got my SX Pro in the mail. Looks very clean!

Reactions: Element18592

RazorX2018

VIP Member
Jul 3, 2018
Should've mentioned but that is an OEM dock. I just 3D printed a new case for it.

It's not my soldering. This is my install here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77DWfGcStDQ

My install and Game_Over's install is the exact same aside from me adding in the switch.
it looks pretty clean to me:
jrKV6xe.png

however i do have a few questions:
1. does the kapton tape go under the left section where the super capacitor was soldered to since you can't see it in the video
2. what is the gold color on the bottom wires, i take it that's not exposed wire XD
3. if everything with the installation is solid perhaps you might have something like a solder ball on the usb c pins or somewhere on the sx pro

Last edited:

Element18592

VIP Member
Jun 4, 2013
it looks pretty clean to me:
View attachment 34095

however i do have a few questions:
1. does the kapton tape go under the left section where the super capacitor was soldered to since you can't see it in the video
2. what is the gold color on the bottom wires, i take it that's not exposed wire XD
3. if everything with the installation is solid perhaps you might have something like a solder ball on the usb c pins or somewhere on the sx pro
The kapton tape fully covers the chip its just a bit hard to tell at the angle I shot the video at. Gold on the wire is just a light reflection. As for stray solder balls I always check for stuff like that when I've wrapped up an install of any kind as well as thoroughly cleaning residual flux from everything my iron has touched.

Game_Over

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Dec 2, 2010
RazorX2018 the major differences between our installs are that I did not remove the USB ports, and the boards are "upside down" from one another. I did add electrical tape underneath mine to prevent potential shorts, but I would assume Element18592 did something similar, and the tact switch of course.... which shouldn't make a big difference as far as this issue is concerned.

RazorX2018

VIP Member
Jul 3, 2018
The kapton tape fully covers the chip its just a bit hard to tell at the angle I shot the video at. Gold on the wire is just a light reflection. As for stray solder balls I always check for stuff like that when I've wrapped up an install of any kind as well as thoroughly cleaning residual flux from everything my iron has touched.
yeah i figured as much from how clean the install was just figured i would ask XD

RazorX2018

VIP Member
Jul 3, 2018
RazorX2018 the major differences between our installs are that I did not remove the USB ports, and the boards are "upside down" from one another. I did add electrical tape underneath mine to prevent potential shorts, but I would assume Element18592 did something similar, and the tact switch of course.... which shouldn't make a big difference as far as this issue is concerned.
yeah just shooting out some stuff i was curious about :)

also did you think anymore about looking into having your sx pro automatically switch off after a few secs like we initially talked about?

Game_Over

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Dec 2, 2010
yeah just shooting out some stuff i was curious about :)

also did you think anymore about looking into having your sx pro automatically switch off after a few secs like we initially talked about?
I have not. The next one I do I might. No idea when that will be.

RazorX2018

VIP Member
Jul 3, 2018
I have not. The next one I do I might. No idea when that will be.
it would be easy to setup with a smd 555 timer, that is the method i would probs use

madyicstik

Mar 10, 2010
so having the tactile button there pretty much just acts like the dongle is plugged in when pressed/held and depressing/letting go means unplugged right?

Game_Over

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Dec 2, 2010
so having the tactile button there pretty much just acts like the dongle is plugged in when pressed/held and depressing/letting go means unplugged right?
yes

madyicstik

Mar 10, 2010
im having issue with another switch, sometimes when i plug in the dongle i dont see any light even if i left the dongle to charge for a while through a power block , sometimes it boots the cfw but most times it doesnt even boot or boots the ofw even with the dongle and rcm jig installed. im suspecting a bad usbc port on either the dongle or the switch. have you had that issue before? i want to do this mod to see if that solves my issue.