Internal SX Pro Dongle

Game_Over

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Dec 2, 2010
im having issue with another switch, sometimes when i plug in the dongle i dont see any light even if i left the dongle to charge for a while through a power block , sometimes it boots the cfw but most times it doesnt even boot or boots the ofw even with the dongle and rcm jig installed. im suspecting a bad usbc port on either the dongle or the switch. have you had that issue before? i want to do this mod to see if that solves my issue.
It may work because you won't have to worry about charged capacitors. The board would be powered directly from the switch. If you do the mod, please leave a comment if it works out.

Game_Over

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Dec 2, 2010
Amazing project very good work. I will try to mine asap!
Good luck! I have since opened my switch again and cut the metal shield for a better fit. :)

jimyb3

Noob Account
Sep 1, 2011
Yeah I will try to cut the metal shield also I will try to make a hole to body near battery contacts to fit the USB connector for SX pro. Still working it in my mind

Game_Over

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Dec 2, 2010
Yeah I will try to cut the metal shield also I will try to make a hole to body near battery contacts to fit the USB connector for SX pro. Still working it in my mind
There is no need for the usb connection to be external.

jimyb3

Noob Account
Sep 1, 2011
I want to use something like that
https://goo.gl/images/nuWgfy

And from bottom next to charging port to be the extension in new hole.

I agree that maybe never used for dongle update but I have time to mod it :)

Last edited:

Stryk3r78

Noob Account
Sep 23, 2018
Hey All,

I just wanted to chime in and say that I performed this internal mod today and it works well so far, no issues with video output in the dock and it charges fine. I also left both usb headers attached, apart from not having to do the extra work to desolder them, it means it will be somewhat easy should I need to do a dongle update sometime in the future. the only difference I made is that I used a different point for the 3.3v then the capacitor shown here. I was reading the threads about the trinket m0 install and they have posted an "updated" 3v point that is under the emmc, it is much larger than the capacitor point and routed very neatly under the heatpipe to attach on the left side of the sx pro chip. Sorry I didn't take any pictures (I'm lazy) but I am an experienced modder and didn't find the install that hard. The D+/- points on those resistors on the chip were smaller and more difficult than the emmc point for the 3v. I used some eletrical tape to insulate it and held the chip down with a little rubber cement just to keep it place, it's quite snug between the shield and the back of that mount point so I don't think it will move. I just pushed the shielding out a bit and molded it around the chip, didn't need to cut it with scissors as some say you can.

Thanks for the pics and tips shown here, it will be nice not having to carry around a dongle and also to know that this will ensure that when the machine turns off it will not auto reboot into rcm (Since I use autorcm) and run down the battery. All I can say is that I wish TX would release a "modchip" version but I'm sure they have enough work with working on SX OS.

Cheers,

Stryk3r78

Last edited:

Nemesis

Noob Account
Sep 24, 2018
Cool mod. A clear housing would be a nice addition to show off your work [video=youtube;L3TeP1G5lO0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3TeP1G5lO0[/video]

kapildevn15

Jun 8, 2010
Hi. I don't want to creat a brand new thread...so i will ask here. If my switch is updated to 6.2 and serial number is XAW1005, should i order the sx pro in advance as team xecuter did mention that the dongle is future proof or should i wait to an official news before i purchase this dongle? What r the chances that a new dongle will be required for firmware 6.2 and above? Thks.

imprezgc8

Bannnnnn-Kai!
Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
Nov 26, 2007
The Cloud
I am going to start practicing myself in preparation to try something similar with the trinket board. :) Thanks for the write up!

Game_Over

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Dec 2, 2010
You may wanna check out the Rebug SwitchME board. Using the pro dongle is by far the easiest way though. I need to update this guide with better alt solder points. Maybe trim the board too. This was my first go at it. I still use it daily.

Reactions: vanrocka90

gavin_darkglide

VIP Member
Dec 14, 2012
it might be worth checking those points, especially with a trinket board, because people were having issues with the cap for the CPU_RESET burning out, if soldered there, so it was recommended else where to use the alt point on the back of the board(Easier to solder to as well). As for the people having issues with the dock, if you do a bit of research over at switchbrew, you notice that there is a passive mux for USB/MIPI-DSI attached between the USB chipset and the video stuff(Part of the reason the Dock doesnt work in linux). So, while I am not going to say that there isnt a possibility of interference, it is a bit wierd that people who remove the USB ports on the SX Dongle have issues and others dont. Also, using the trinket, you can have the chip disable USB after sending the payload, until the CPU is put into Reset again. So, this will never be a problem, just use the SX payload for fusee, and it is essentially the same thing without the built in licence, with the added bonus that you can put any payload on the dongle, or multiple payloads, if they are small enough.

Game_Over

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Dec 2, 2010
^This is exactly why I need to do this again and update the guide. Mine has been working 100% fine in the dock and with usb support, so I never really thought any more about it.

There are safer (and easier) solder points that can and should be used.

I will get this updated some day.

Reactions: slamride

imprezgc8

Bannnnnn-Kai!
Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
Nov 26, 2007
The Cloud
@Game_Over or any of the other guys who have done one. What gauge wire did you use? Do you think 30 is too thin?

imprezgc8

Bannnnnn-Kai!
Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
Nov 26, 2007
The Cloud
Thanks! Just waiting on some supplies to come in then I am going to attempt an install haha