Is it possible to read dvd key from nand only?

sneezle00x

Jul 20, 2007
So I received several xboxs to fix that my friend said he couldn't fix. They all had red ring but are fine now. It looks like whoever put them all back together used a completely different drive in each one. After reading a lot into nand-x and coolrunner I order both. I was wondering if I had to boot into xex to get the dvd key, or solely dumping the nand would give the same information (at half the work). Also, how do I find out the original model of the dvd drive?

Thanks in advance!

BL4K3Y

VIP Member
Top Poster Of Month
Jul 7, 2010
At Home
We need the CPU key to decrypt the key vault, but XeLL will display the DVD key on-screen.

Dumping the NAND and opening it with 360 Flash Dump Tool or J-Runner will display the OSIG (we need the CPU key to do this).

You'll need to reset glitch hack the xbox to get the key plus drive model. Dump NAND, create glitch image, flash it to Xbox, get CPU key and drive key then flash back original NAND. I'm saying this off memory and may have left out a step but you get the idea. Follow the reset glitch hack guide.

sneezle00x

Jul 20, 2007
I never have to actually flash a hacked nand, just get xeLL running. When you put a cool runner in your system, it runs the code to get the unsigned code running. Does my system itself have a changed nand? Or is that nand saved on the cool runner? So if I removed it, it would be a normal xbox again?

BL4K3Y

VIP Member
Top Poster Of Month
Jul 7, 2010
At Home
Once you have the CPU and DVD keys, you can remove the CoolRunner and write the original NAND dump back to the console.

The CPU key and a NAND dump is all you need to decrypt the key vault and view information such as the drive OSIG, region etc.

Reactions: sneezle00x

ball00

VIP Member
Nov 8, 2011
France
Do the drives not boot any games? Even older games? If they boot older games then you can just use jungleflasher as normal to see the original drive versions and keys. If they don't then RGH to boot xell is the way to go as Bl4k3y says.

homegrown

VIP Member
Aug 23, 2010
P.E.I. Canada
Once you have the CPU and DVD keys, you can remove the CoolRunner and write the original NAND dump back to the console.

The CPU key and a NAND dump is all you need to decrypt the key vault and view information such as the drive OSIG, region etc.

Do as BL4K3Y says then you will need jungleflasher to flash your drive keys when you get them from xell. Or you could try all the drives in each xbox because he could have just got them mixed up, but you probably already tried that, lol

My bad, just seen this was 2 day old post

Last edited: