Jasper 16mb RGH 1.2, Coolrunner Rev C + DemoN issues

wparti00

Apr 15, 2017
In need of some serious expertise here.

So I've got a 16mb Jasper in which I installed a DemoN phat. The DemoN is on firmware 1.04. DemoN is able to read and write to both retail and DemoN nand. I got two matching nand dumps and built/wrote the ecc to the DemoN. I then followed an RGH 1.2 tutorial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA7jkvXe5bg&t=393s]This one[/FONT]) to install a Coolrunner Rev C. The Coolrunner is programmed with supposed correct DemoN xsvf file and a timing file from the download given with that tutorial. Capacitor is bridged (poorly) on CR.

Problems:

1. Console will not boot to retail. I've tried setting DemoN to retail nand and setting the CR to program. Results in 3 red lights. Diagnostic gives me error 0022 (hardware failure).

2. Console will not boot ecc from DemoN. Console powers on and chip attempts to glitch indefinitely. I've tried several timing files to no effect.

3. CR still attempts do glitch when I'm attempting to boot retail nand.

Install images:

DemoN -

https://imgur.com/a/gGcuf

Coolrunner -

https://imgur.com/a/rpsHa

Things I've tried:

1. Rewriting the retail nand to xbox

2. Tons of timing files

3. Re-soldering all wires to be sure there are no bridges

Any guidance or ideas are much appreciated.

Update: Completely uninstalled the CR. All solder points look fine. Still RROD. Tried flashing stock nand to the DemoN and now it also gives a RROD when I try to boot it. May reinstall the CR, reflash the ecc to the DemoN and keep trying to boot xell.

Someone please give me some things to try other than a reball or CPU replacement.

Last edited:

wparti00

Apr 15, 2017
Wrote the ECC back to the DemoN and now it's attempting to glitch albeit unsuccessfully. Hoping I can get the CPU key and check the retail nand for ldv mismatch although I have no idea how that could've happened.

wparti00

Apr 15, 2017
Bump

Still trying like hell to boot to xell on both the DemoN and retail nands. When using the recommended 21 timing file the CR won't attempt to glitch more than once unless I set it to slim mode oddly enough.

Not sure if I need DemoN or coolrunner support at this point.

BrockThunderjam

VIP Member
Jun 25, 2013
WP and D0 both look suspect on your demon solder points. Your CR 5V connection to your board looks pretty bad. Other than that your soldering is pretty nice. Your yellow wire (C) the CR appears to be going to the wrong pad (could be wrong, but check that - I thought it was supposed to be FT6U7).

EDIT - sorry - just realized you are doing RGH 1.2. Disregard my comment on FT6U7.

Last edited:

NullRootix

Aug 4, 2017
Localhost
Try using a alt clk point i just did a rgh 1.2 today on a falcon use the pad ft2r2 you can use the cpu_rst(blue) cable from the slim wires from your cr might also just be me but point B on the cr looks like it needs reheating
Cap also looks like it might be bridging onto a resistor :/ also try using the 18 timing file aswell

Last edited:

wparti00

Apr 15, 2017
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I cleaned up every single solder point on the install and it was all looking flawless and still no dice. I went ahead and pulled the DemoN and the CR. Reflashed to stock using my j-programmer and I still get 0022. Going to call it quits on this mobo because I can't reball it. I'm going to order a replacement jasper mobo and try the entire install again.

BrockThunderjam

VIP Member
Jun 25, 2013
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I cleaned up every single solder point on the install and it was all looking flawless and still no dice. I went ahead and pulled the DemoN and the CR. Reflashed to stock using my j-programmer and I still get 0022. Going to call it quits on this mobo because I can't reball it. I'm going to order a replacement jasper mobo and try the entire install again.
My guess would be you damaged a pad during install. There used to be a nice guide on these forums for fixing messed up points. Looks like the pics aren't hosted anymore sadly. I'm sure you can find it on another forum. Search "alternative rgh phat points". You probably just lifted something and need to fix it up. STDBY_CLK is notorious for this.

EDIT - found a guide with pics still hosted for STDBY_CLK - http://team-xecuter.com/forums/threads/88489-TuT-Alternate-STBY_CLK-Install-STBY_CLK-Fix-for-Slim-and-Phats-(Noob-Friendly)

Last edited:

NullRootix

Aug 4, 2017
Localhost
When you boot stock you need to disable the mod chip weather that be de-soldering the 3v3(red) cable if its a mod chip other then the cr or putting it into prg mode if its a cr but if your scraping and starting again
A tip i can give for your next attempt is NOT TO USE THE ORIGINAL CLK POINT use the ft2r2 alt point:

FOR SLIMS:

Tr2ch.jpg
FOR PHATS: its the one closest to the memory card units next to the gpu heatsink
ShtF3.jpg
like i said you can use the blue wire from the slim wire pack for your point B as its more simple to get then the original, the guide i used for rgh 1.2 was this one and also included the alt point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZBCXSFBiDM&t=781s I would also suggest tinning the cable and applying a small but decent amount of flux just ontop of the pad/point for points such as pll_bypass and cpu_rst then just simply laying the cable on top then just "tacing" it to the point add a bit of hot glue ontop and to also hold the cables in place once you know it boots. I have also had good success w/jaspers when the coolrunners are stock with 1543's timing files, if this is your first install i would just stick with a single rgh nand and get another 360 for your stock needs.

Last edited:
Reactions: wparti00

BrockThunderjam

VIP Member
Jun 25, 2013
When you boot stock you need to disable the mod chip weather that be de-soldering the 3v3(red) or putting it into prg mode if its a cr but if your scraping and starting again
A tip i can give for your next attempt is NOT TO USE THE ORIGINAL CLK POINT use the ft2r2 alt point:

FOR SLIMS:

View attachment 33941
FOR PHATS: its the one closest to the memory card units next to the gpu heatsink
View attachment 33942
like i said you can use the blue wire from the slim wire for your point B as its more simple to get then the original, the guide i used for rgh 1.2 was this one and also included the alt point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZBCXSFBiDM&t=781s I would also suggest tinning the cable and applying a small but decent amount of flux just ontop of the pad/point for points such as pll_bypass and cpu_rst then just simply laying the cable on top then just "tacing" it to the point add a bit of hot glue ontop and to also hold the cables in place once you know it boots. I have also had good success w/jaspers when the coolrunners are stock with 1543's timing files, if this is your first install i would just stick with a single rgh nand and get another 360 for your stock needs.
I don't mean this to be rude to you in particular, but did you even read the thread before posting all of this? I assume not, and there seems to be a lot of that going around nowadays. Every other thread seems to be the same couple of guys telling everyone to reflow their board. Stop and read before posting.

I'm glad the new xecuter, who is clearly not Ubergeek anymore, seems to be a nice guy, but it would be good to start reinforcing some rules around here again. The content has become very watered down.

Last edited:

NullRootix

Aug 4, 2017
Localhost
The information i gave works for me and yes i looked threw the post from op and the install photos, i'm only trying to help this guy for his next install so he doesnt end up killing his board as he said "I'm going to order a replacement jasper mobo and try the entire install again."
you'll find loads of peoples diff opinions/pov's on this forum

Where did i mention to reflow/heat the mobo?

Last edited:

john mathews

VIP Member
Jan 3, 2014
peoria illinois
I don't mean this to be rude to you in particular, but did you even read the thread before posting all of this? I assume not, and there seems to be a lot of that going around nowadays. Every other thread seems to be the same couple of guys telling everyone to reflow their board. Stop and read before posting.

I'm glad the new xecuter, who is clearly not Ubergeek anymore, seems to be a nice guy, but it would be good to start reinforcing some rules around here again. The content has become very watered down.
there's nothing wrong with people offering advise if it's correct .98 percent of time it does need reflow or reballed or replaced then there that 2 percent when it's wrong ldv or curropt nand .FYI user error. That's why it's important to get secondary code. i hope ubergeek get on here to defend his self about your comment.

Last edited:
Reactions: NullRootix

gavin_darkglide

VIP Member
Dec 14, 2012
Or, we go with the more logical explanation that they lifted a pad, or shorted something, before we decide to go balls to the wall, and reflow a board that might not need it.

@OP:

There are 2 points I would be looking at specifically for this problem. The first would be the Standby_Clk point mentioned previously. The other would be the CPU_PLL_BYPASS point. With the CPU_PLL_BYPASS, if it shorted to out on anything, it burns the CPU, and there is no repair, other than replacing the CPU. That being said, I had a falcon once, that was giving this error after a RGH1 install when you put the board in the case. turned out the trace was broken, and when the wire had pressure on it from the screws, it would disconnect. Took me a while to find that. lol. once I fixed the trace, and used the alt point under the heatsync, it worked great. So, I figure the worst case scenario if you mess with it is it is broken worse than it is now.

BrockThunderjam

VIP Member
Jun 25, 2013
there's nothing wrong with people offering advise if it's correct .98 percent of time it does need reflow or reballed or replaced then there that 2 percent when it's wrong ldv or curropt nand .FYI user error. That's why it's important to get secondary code. i hope ubergeek get on here to defend his self about your comment.
What's wrong with my comment? It was clear he was running the old X account. I never said I didnt like him, he was clearly a smart dude, but he was rougher around the edges. My point, which you missed, was he didn't put up with useless posts. They have definitely increased in number recently. And you're stat ".98 percent of time", which I assume you meant 98% of the time, is unfounded and insane. If someone has a working board and they attempt to RGH it, 98% of the time it's not because the board suddenly needs a reflow or reball.

john mathews

VIP Member
Jan 3, 2014
peoria illinois
What's wrong with my comment? It was clear he was running the old X account. I never said I didnt like him, he was clearly a smart dude, but he was rougher around the edges. My point, which you missed, was he didn't put up with useless posts. They have definitely increased in number recently. And you're stat ".98 percent of time", which I assume you meant 98% of the time, is unfounded and insane. If someone has a working board and they attempt to RGH it, 98% of the time it's not because the board suddenly needs a reflow or reball.
do you know where they get most of these boards from eBay GameStop etc. Most are junk someone worked on and hanging on dear life. So the boards all ready on life support. Then u get people that don't know how to solder.let alone read and jump right in there lifting pads . tearing traces . Sticking grandma's sewing needle and use that as a post fix adapter. It goes on and on. Then they don't follow the rules n post pics. But expect help with clone chips . It's mind blowing.. they need to practice on dead boards . Before trying on good ones . The soldering I seen on here vip n noobies is just insane. Practice makes perfect

john mathews

VIP Member
Jan 3, 2014
peoria illinois
Op if I was . I remove everything demon n all clean all points up look for damage. Post clear pics on here. If u have multimeter pull it out just in case we need u to check ohms or voltage.also write back the original nand once u remove everything.

wparti00

Apr 15, 2017
Thanks for all the ideas guys.

Op if I was . I remove everything demon n all clean all points up look for damage. Post clear pics on here. If u have multimeter pull it out just in case we need u to check ohms or voltage.also write back the original nand once u remove everything.
I did just this and still got RROD. All my points look perfectly fine after the uninstall. I think I may have a theory for what happened though. During the whole process and trying to boot multiple times I didn't always have the fan installed and definitely never used the shroud. I do recall the large heat sink (not sure if GPU or CPU) getting too hot to touch so I may have actually induced a RROD.

Anyway lesson learned. I just RGHed my buddy's falcon and had zero issues and the thing instaboots in ~5 seconds. Found a replacement jasper mobo for $40 so I'm going to give it another go. I'll post back here with results and maybe pics as my soldering has improved quite a bit.