JTAG Jasper 512MB RRoD After Flashing Xell

Alteration

Oct 7, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
I dumped the NAND with a J-R Programmer V2 3 times and they all matched with no broken blocks. I then flashed Xell to get my CPU key, and upon turning on the Xbox, I got the RRoD (code 0022).

What would be my next best step? I'm not touching anything until I get advice.

Notes: Soldering is near-perfect, no bridged connections, no lifted resistors / pads, no heat damage to traces, nothing. It was immediately after flashing Xell that I got the RRoD. I haven't tried flashing back to my original NAND yet because 1. I'm not entirely sure how to revert (I'm sure it's as simple as a Google search), and 2. I'd rather not make things worse.

Thanks guys.

EXTRA IMPORTANT NOTE: The person I got it from said they were having issues with it before, but didn't fill me in on exactly what was happening, but when I got home I tried it and it worked just fine. It may not have anything to do with my work on the Xbox, but the Xbox itself. Even if it is just the Xbox itself, what is my next step?

Last edited:

Alteration

Oct 7, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
Will they really? I've already desoldered the J-R Programmer for the night and I pinky promise it's cleaned up and pretty. I found a few threads since I posted this stating that when flashing Xell to their Jasper they got the same RRoD code as I. The solution seems to be flash back to the retail dash, but some have also been having problems with the 0022 error when flashing back to retail. It'll be the first thing I try tomorrow unless advised otherwise (flashing back to retail that is).

Alteration

Oct 7, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
This is an absolutely crazy and stupid question, but please forgive me, it's crazy late right now. If I didn't install the Coolrunner chip, but flashed Xell, I know there's no way for Xell to boot, but is it possible that's also causing the red ring of death? If I were to install the Coolrunner Rev C chip and program it, the red ring will go away?

Alteration

Oct 7, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
I'm going to go all the way before turning back. I've heard some people are getting permanent RRoD after returning to stock (somehow seems unlikely), but I'm just going to follow the steps of TheWeekendModder and just install the Rev C before going back to retail. Thanks a ton Mikaz for confirming my suspicion, I had no clue a flashed NAND without a glitch chip could red ring.

Alteration

Oct 7, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
Thanks guys, I got home today and installed the CR Rev C into the Jasper. Performed an RGH 1.2 and now get instant boots nearly every time with the occasional 2 glitch cycle. You guys are great!