GENERAL JR-Programmer read/write speeds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DudeyGeeza

May 12, 2012
Hi, I've been using a nandx for quite some time now, but have passed it back to its owner, reading the blog/sales pitch regarding th JRP I'm led to believe that it functions at around 80% of the speed that a NANDx actually does.

After receiving my JRP and putting it to the test, my 16mb reads of the trinity and jaspers I have in the house all take between 5 minutes 10 seconds and 5 minutes 30 seconds.
Nandx would do the same in 2 minutes 30 seconds..

I'm not sure if it's supposed to be over twice as long as a nandx but I'm led to believe that it's not.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Maybe post your times for read/write transactions with your JRP?

I am using the latest drivers, and firmware.

Any info will be very welcomed.

homersing

Noob Account
Feb 7, 2012
Home
Hi, I've been using a nandx for quite some time now, but have passed it back to its owner, reading the blog/sales pitch regarding th JRP I'm led to believe that it functions at around 80% of the speed that a NANDx actually does.

After receiving my JRP and putting it to the test, my 16mb reads of the trinity and jaspers I have in the house all take between 5 minutes 10 seconds and 5 minutes 30 seconds.
Nandx would do the same in 2 minutes 30 seconds..

I'm not sure if it's supposed to be over twice as long as a nandx but I'm led to believe that it's not.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Maybe post your times for read/write transactions with your JRP?

I am using the latest drivers, and firmware.

Any info will be very welcomed.
Me Also Curious bout the true speed (80% of nand-x). I Need to upgrade my SPI nand flasher (PIC2455) to this... Coz TX Nand-X is beyond my budget, need to full dump my jasper 512MB nand (Just in case I need to revert back to retail nand before going Dual boot with TXDemon:D).

Dunno what controller chip they used on that JRP, compare to PIC2455 & LPC2148. :redface:

Did you try different usb cable from your JRP to PC? cable length wise & gauge wise (some usb cable shows the gauge printed on the cable, 30awg,28awg,26awg).

DudeyGeeza

May 12, 2012
Me Also Curious bout the true speed (80% of nand-x). I Need to upgrade my SPI nand flasher (PIC2455) to this... Coz TX Nand-X is beyond my budget, need to full dump my jasper 512MB nand (Just in case I need to revert back to retail nand before going Dual boot with TXDemon:D).

Dunno what controller chip they used on that JRP, compare to PIC2455 & LPC2148. :redface:

Did you try different usb cable from your JRP to PC? cable length wise & gauge wise (some usb cable shows the gauge printed on the cable, 30awg,28awg,26awg).
thanks for the quick reply, and yes, i tried different lengths and types of usb cables, (all of which made no difference on the nandx reads either, I've still got my friends nandx here and am more reluctant to let it go now lol..

WNYConsoles

Troll Eating Dogs
Have you tried a different USB Port on the PC?

For a $20 price difference for the NAND-X RGH Edition vs JPR it is not worth it IMO, unless you are only doing one RGH install and on a really tight budget. The NAND-X RGH Edition comes with everything along with $10 worth of QSB's so at the end of the day it's totally worth the $20 difference. The NAND-X has proven itself to be the best for year's now and it will likely stay that way. Even with the DemoN's speed a external nand flasher will still be required for regular RGH install's.

Reactions: DudeyGeeza

DudeyGeeza

May 12, 2012
Have you tried a different USB Port on the PC?

For a $20 price difference for the NAND-X RGH Edition vs JPR it is not worth it IMO, unless you are only doing one RGH install and on a really tight budget. The NAND-X RGH Edition comes with everything along with $10 worth of QSB's so at the end of the day it's totally worth the $20 difference. The NAND-X has proven itself to be the best for year's now and it will likely stay that way. Even with the DemoN's speed a external nand flasher will still be required for regular RGH install's.
i have tried different ports yes, even the USB3.0 ones that i have.

and i fully agree, the price difference isnt worth it, but when the sales patter states it's only 80% slower, it would mean that you should expect speeds of 3 minutes to 3 and a half minutes at most, not over 5 minutes, that makes it as slow, if not slower than the competition.

I cant get my head round it,

DudeyGeeza

May 12, 2012
yes appologies slight wording error,

sales patter states:

"other brands run at 50% of NAND-X speed, the J-R runs at 80%"

so i meant 80% of the speed of a nandx, making it 20% slower

so nandx being 150 seconds on a 16mb read, a JRP should be 180 seconds (3 minutes, not 5)

Last edited:

WNYConsoles

Troll Eating Dogs
That would make sense yes but id say that the device is probably working correctly and that it just takes 5 minutes to read/write with the JPR, which isn't to bad.

As I said, JPR used for one-two RGH installs, anyone doing multiple installs or playing with custom NAND images, etc, get a NAND-X.

DudeyGeeza

May 12, 2012
i understand what you are saying, but when you are led to believe that it will only be a case of 3 minute reads instead of 2.5, the price is attractive, very attractive.

And yes, it does do the job, but surely that comes under some sort of trading standards issue?? It's either 80% of the speed of a nandx or it isnt, (thereabouts would have been fine, but it's no where near)

homersing

Noob Account
Feb 7, 2012
Home
That would make sense yes but id say that the device is probably working correctly and that it just takes 5 minutes to read/write with the JPR, which isn't to bad.

As I said, JPR used for one-two RGH installs, anyone doing multiple installs or playing with custom NAND images, etc, get a NAND-X.
As long as it reads nand & get all the supports from forums'er & TX, I guess its o.k:redface:.

But why did they (TX) hyped it out (80% of the current Nand-X speed)? is it due to the recent firmware updates made it read a tad bit slower, due to unstable (Beta) J-runner previously the slow down the read speed?

Does the price vs. speed (if minus the support) of JPR worth to purchase, compare to nand-x?

TilVl

VIP Member
May 11, 2011
I don't understand the confusion, want it faster buy a nandx, want a slower but cheaper solution get the jr. Done deal?

Sent from my SGH-T839 using Tapatalk

DudeyGeeza

May 12, 2012
As long as it reads nand & get all the supports from forums'er & TX, I guess its o.k:redface:.

But why did they (TX) hyped it out (80% of the current Nand-X speed)? is it due to the recent firmware updates made it read a tad bit slower, due to unstable (Beta) J-runner previously the slow down the read speed?

Does the price vs. speed (if minus the support) of JPR worth to purchase, compare to nand-x?
it does work, but not as stated, 80% should be more like 3 minutes, not 5 minutes, anyways, im going to return the JRP and just get a nandX, TX win either way as essentially im spending more money with them, so im sure they dont care lol..

Ubergeek

Xecuter Groupie
Feb 24, 2003
California, USA
i understand what you are saying, but when you are led to believe that it will only be a case of 3 minute reads instead of 2.5, the price is attractive, very attractive.

And yes, it does do the job, but surely that comes under some sort of trading standards issue?? It's either 80% of the speed of a nandx or it isnt, (thereabouts would have been fine, but it's no where near)
You are hacking your Xbox and you are talking about trading standards??

You should just send it back for a refund.

The JR Programmer is for those who want a cheap quality alternative to the nandx that can also do coolrunners.

Reactions: Travo112

DudeyGeeza

May 12, 2012
again why so agressive?

the purchase seemed like the best option, as the sales blog states that it will be 80% of the speed of nandx, (20% slower)

if it was then it would have been a great purchase, but quite simply, that is not the performance i am getting, that is why i am concerned of the speed.

And i guess you are not from the UK, any registered business adheres to the sale of goods act here, and selling something that clearly isnt as described is not allowed, no matter what the intended purpose is for that item (linux dev. lol)..

Last edited:

homersing

Noob Account
Feb 7, 2012
Home
again why so agressive?
I guess he/she being aggressive coz he got faster read speed with his JRP & some other JRP owner gets 5 minutes.

My Bad saying "It seem 80% SLOWER Not faster - "and lpc2148/ARM7 based nand reader priced almost the same as JRP:redface:." which pissed somebody:facepalm:. I meant it should at least 80% the speed of nand-x.

Any new firmware updates to get 3 minutes on the JRP read speed uber?

Status
Not open for further replies.