Kamikaze Knife Mod - Safest and Easiest Method Yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbiker321

Sep 16, 2003
Denver
Another successful "Kamikaze Knife Mod" This is SSSOOOOOO much easier and safer than the dremel or soldering iron.

I am making this thread to make this new method more well known; thus hopefully preventing people from frying their boards.

Tools:

• Small Utility Knife or Box Cutter
  • Ruler/Straight Edge (preferably a metal one)
  • Q-Tip and Rubbing Alcohol (Needed to Unlock Drive in the future)
  • CK3, X360USB, and JF 1.86
If you follow the directions in the jftut1.4.3.pdf file that comes with JungleFlasher you can't go wrong.

Basically I marked the chip as follows : (While marking the chip, ensure there is no power applied to the board, don't wanna short something)

Then open up jungleflasher. Click "Intro" then click "Yes" on Spi Status Register.

You will see the dots on the bottom portion of JF, waiting for your kamikaze unlock.

I then took my box cutter, placed the tip on the coordinates, and began to spin. Keeping the tip firmly in place this only took about ten spins before I was given a Spi Status 0x3 (NOTE : Keep an eye on the status for this to change to 0x3, mine didn't beep)

Close JungleFlasher and reopen. Click "Intro" and your drive is now unlocked. Spi Status 0x00

Click "Read" to save the firmware. You'll have to click Yes or No on the Online Dump box that pops up (Yes if 0225/0401/1071 drive. No if it's a 0272) Then click Yes on the Intro box that pops up, power cycle "off then on" Then you can save the FW
Also then have JF automatically load 1.91 for you.

Go back to the MTK tab, click "Intro" again and power cycle if needed.

You're now in Vendor Mode, now click "Write"

Once successfully written you'll have to lock the drive. Click "Intro" and power cycle. Then hold CTRL + SHIFT + F11 to send lock command.

To check if locked press "Into" and the SPI Status 0x8C box will pop up notifying it's locked. To UNLOCK in the future click Yes and wipe a Q-Tip with Rubbing Alcohol across the hole you just carved.

Here are some pictures showing how little you need to go down.

EDIT: I don't want to get haggled for credit here, but I think people heard about this from VGO here on the forums first.
My friend here in Denver mentioned to me last night, using a scalpel or some small knife instead of the soldering iron.
So credit goes to everyone who moved the Kamikaze hack forward and less dangerous. Thanks everyone!!
And RIP to all those Winbond boards that will never see the insides of an Xbox again

Last edited:
Reactions: STRATEGIZER

dopp

Noob Account
Jan 24, 2004
Looks great, though I am wondering about 1 thing.
So you are not using any extra voltage at all, no 3.3v?

salomon890

Sep 12, 2010
tommorow i'll try this one.iron kamik.was working for me,pretty well,hopefully this one is less dangerous.tx,man.y thi one

eblaster101

Aug 2, 2011
yes thanks for making the guide up when VG0 told me i tried it straight work thanks for the write up appreciate it. I used box cutter. To confirm you DONT need voltage 3.3v just as described in the guide.

Last edited:

edkoby

Jul 1, 2010
Several variables I did not see mentioned (unless I over-looked) is how much pressure did you use when holding the knife..any? or just the weight of the knife and the blade housing?..if so..how much does that particular knife weigh? How fast did you spin..very slow? fast? Was the blade brand new or used at all prior? At what angle was the blade applied? Is it safe to use a metal ruler near or on a circuit board..seems it may increase chances of doing inadvertent damage due to shorts, static electricity etc. Can you see any of the metal traces after the hole was made? Did the drive operate properly..no issues with the tray opening or closing afterwards? Did you confirm the q-tip & alcohol worked? How saturated is the q-tip when you apply to the hole? What type (and concentration)of alcohol did you use....rubbing? methanol, beer? :)

Last edited:

xbiker321

Sep 16, 2003
Denver
3.3v, resistors, all NOT needed. Just the knife.

Just use the box cutter/utility knife. Don't use a crazy amount of force, just enough that the knife stays in place.

It took me about 10 spins since I wasn't pressing down much. As posed by Loomingx, only 5 spins but he might have use a little more pressure than I did.

Just try it, its safe and quick.

xbiker321

Sep 16, 2003
Denver
Several variables I did not see mentioned (unless I over-looked) is how much pressure did you use when holding the knife..any? Just enough to maintain the knife is the same position, very little needed.or just the weight of the knife and the blade housing?..if so..how much does that particular knife weigh? My knife was very light weight, like a few oz...if that, lol. How fast did you spin..very slow? SLOW, take your time, do a couple turns and remove the knife, blow away the debris. Then continue again. Was the blade brand new or used at all prior? Mine was used, still reasonably sharp At what angle was the blade applied? Straight down onto the crosshairs on the chip, so when its being spun, it drills straight down.Is it safe to use a metal ruler near or on a circuit board Use the metal ruler with the power off of course, just to mark the crosshair..seems it may increase chances of doing inadvertent damage due to shorts, static electricity etc. Can you see any of the metal traces after the hole was made? Metal traces?? the only debris is made from the top of the IC, no metal. Did the drive operate properly..no issues with the tray opening or closing afterwards? One did have an eject issue, I powered it off and back on and it never came back. During that moment that the button wasn't working I could still eject and close with the controller on the dashboard...so nothing serious. Did you confirm the q-tip & alcohol worked? How saturated is the q-tip when you apply to the hole? What type (and concentration)of alcohol did you use....rubbing? methanol, beer? Just used 70% rubbing alcohol, it was pretty wet, but not dripping wet. Someone said they licked their finger and tried that and it worked, lol. Do whatever you gotta do. :)

Last edited:

msdxbizkit

Noob Account
Jul 4, 2011
Wow was that stressful. I'm a nervous person from the beginning :p This worked A1 for me. I used a box cutter too. Took a while to get the 0x3 because I was doing it very slow. After I got the 0x3 everything was done as usual. This guide covered it all for me. Now I'm testing on NFL10 and everyhing is working! Thanks for the guide!

locobrown

VIP Member
Aug 5, 2011
I just bought a unlocked PCB before coming across this guide.. There's a limited amount being made by TX as we speak. This method works flawlessly. Unless people with shaky hands or lack of sensitivity could damage the chip, but that would seem most unlikely because we don't have to carve in deep as for example the drill and acid method. The only way to damage the chip would be if we press with the edge of the blade in too deep before spinning. What a great guide. Using a drill and external voltage? It worked to but, I understand know that it was unnecessary.

thebomber

VIP Member
Jul 25, 2010
Cairo/Egypt
tried it took me like 15 spins maybe more,

but one problem, the unlock is ok, but when i write its stuck at bank 0 at the first dot and everything just hangs

Status
Not open for further replies.