KProbe is killing me.

HandOfReason

Noob Account
Oct 12, 2012
I've been burning backups for a long time, and I've always done my research as much as possible because I genuinely would like to understand what I'm doing, instead of following instruction.

That said, I am having a terrible time maintaining any kind of consistent quality with my XGD3 backups, and was hoping for some help. I've gone through all the stickies, and played with all the settings, and nothing stays within spec for long. But more on that in a second...

First of all, I'm a collector. A serious collector. It is the primary reason I modded my Xbox is because I prefer to not open the originals. After backing up my entire library (nearly 500 games), I have over 4TB of ISOs split across 3 2TB hard drives. At first, I was super focused on having a disc backup for every single game I owned, so I bought 3 iHAS424 burners to replace 3 BenQ's I had in my rig previously. Since then, I've found it easier to just RGH my Trinity and play games that way, however, burning is still a priority for online games, so I would like to solve my problem, if at all possible.

In the past, I would burn games here and there, but every now and then a particular game would come out that would give me problems. For example, Mass Effect 3 would freeze often for me, prompting me to use KProbe and check every burn. It is during this process that I noticed how sporadic the results can be. At that time, I played with some settings until I got a good burn, and left it at that. Most recently, I encountered issues with FIFA 13, which meant whipping out KProbe and checking results again. As a means of maintaining quality, I started checking every burn afterwards, and saw that nothing was burning consistently within quality guidelines. So I took it upon myself to try and do that:

As of right now, I'm currently going through as many discs as necessary to maintain a quality level of XGD3 burns. So far, I'm on my 19th disc and have tried literally every single variation possible that I'm aware of; None of which produce consistent results. For example, I burned FIFA with the following:
MKM001
4x burn
FHT off
OHT off
OS on
SB off

OPC on
Clear OPC

Results:
PI Max: 27
PI Avg: 1.86
PIF Max: 4
PIF Avg: .18
That right there is a successful burn. Most certainly within guidelines, so I went on to burn Resident Evil 6. Same exact settings, including clearing OPC in EEPROM:
PI Max: 1496
PI Avg: 64.33
PIF Max: 203
PIF Avg: 12.39

UGH. An abomination. So, thinking it might be the ISO for some reason, I stick with RE6 and try different settings:
FHT: On
OHT: On
SB: Off

Cleared OPC
OPC: On

PI Max: 25
PI Avg: 1.51
PIF Max: 3
PIF Avg: .16

Again, another successful burn. I switch back to the same FIFA iso to test for consistency, same settings:
PI Max: 1692
PI Avg: 240.4
PIF Max: 220
PIF Avg: 66.55

Atrocious! And I've had similar results with nearly every other setting: I'll get one good burn out of it, and then a bad burn immediately following. The only time I got any kind of consistency was with:
FHT: Off
OHT: On

Cleared OPC
OPC: on

and with that I got the following 4 burns on Dishonered, Dishonered, Madden, Madden:
PI Max: 31, 34, 54, 138
PI Avg: 1.85, 4.51, 4.27, 4.97
PIF Max: 5, 5, 6, 5
PIF Avg: .24, .27, .25, .23

Here, the PIF numbers were never within guidelines, but they were pretty close. More importantly, with the exception of the 4th PI Max number, it was staying relatively consistent. But then, upon the 5th burn of Madden:
PI Max: 1550
PI Avg: 106.8
PIF Max: 181
PIF Avg: 9.16

Separate tests have confirmed for me that 4x burn consistently better than 2.4x on MKM001 (which is confirmed elsewhere in a sticky somewhere). Also I would like to point out that my system is running Windows 7 Ultimate. I have no other programs running (other than system services and such, natch).

I would appreciate any other variables I can factor in to help maintain consistency here. I've used FHT, OHT, OS, SB, clearing OPC, and OPC on/off in IMGburn settings, because these are the settings that everyone seems to be messing with everywhere I look. However, absolutely no variation of these settings are producing consistent results.

Nevertheless, I will continue to test and hopefully find something that works. Yet, even then, it still begs the question of why? Why the variability? I understand that "everybody's system is different" but why is that suddenly a factor now? Thanks for any advice/comments, good or bad.

meads1970

BANNED
Jul 5, 2011
Lancashire
if i could afford that amount of games i wouldnt be a$$ed bout backing them up i would just go buy new ones.smelling summot not rite

M

mm53668

Keep in mind innocent until proven guilty. Judging by his wording all was owned. Do you know the man to be,calling him a lier? Judge not less ye be judged

talby71

VIP Member
Nov 24, 2010
Near Melbourne , Australia
funny how a lot of people are having trouble with FIFA 13, maybe they are downloading from the same source !

this line pretty much gives a clue "I modded my Xbox is because I prefer to not open the originals"
how does he back them up then ???

Hey OP , how about posting your XBC and ABGX logs as well

sometimes if a rip is bad, you will never get a good burn, maybe try reripping

Last edited:

meads1970

BANNED
Jul 5, 2011
Lancashire
funny how a lot of people are having trouble with FIFA 13, maybe they are downloading from the same source !QUOTE]

spot on doesnt take CSI to work a lot of the posts out in the last few days

Last edited:

IronMan72

VIP Member
May 13, 2004
USA
So which TX product is it that you are looking for support with?

Edit: BTW, I'd love to see pics of your retail collection as well. Do share.

Last edited:
funny how a lot of people are having trouble with FIFA 13, maybe they are downloading from the same source !

this line pretty much gives a clue "I modded my Xbox is because I prefer to not open the originals"
how does he back them up then ???

Hey OP , how about posting your XBC and ABGX logs as well

sometimes if a rip is bad, you will never get a good burn, maybe try reripping
it will be a dl game off the net,cos the first one that was put up didnt pass the crc checks on ABGX.
my friend was having the same problem till he went else were for it:rolleyes2:

and everyone else knows cos they did exactley the same,from the same source lmfao

HandOfReason

Noob Account
Oct 12, 2012
Honestly I'm not concerned about suspicion with it, because it isn't the problem. Also, I never claimed to have ripped my own games. As I understand the rules, piracy isn't a topic to be discussed, so I was doing my best to avoid it, while staying focused on the issue. I'm not trying to legitimize anything, so please don't take it as that. I have my collection, I have backups on my drive, I check everything with ABGX.

I have a question about that though. Even if the ISO is bad, would that cause PIF and PI errors? For example my FIFA ISO has given me bad numbers, but it has also given me good numbers...

---------- Post added at 18:56 ---------- Previous post was at 18:46 ----------

@Ironman: I'm not asking support for any TX product specifically. But I gather that was a probably a rhetorical question anyway.

talby71

VIP Member
Nov 24, 2010
Near Melbourne , Australia
to be honest i no longer bother using Kprobe...did at first...but was generally getting good results so i stick my game in , if it works it works...i generally have the game installed onto the hard drive, and go that way..if the game freezes or errors i burn again...
the whole process is trial and error, till you get something good..also if you have over 500 games, all backed up, maybe your laser in the burner/s is wearing out..it happens...so gives inconsistent burns
if you posted a pic of your original game with your name attached ..would keep people quiet about piracy

Last edited:

frayed

DINDU NUFFIN
VIP Member
Dec 22, 2010
A galaxy far far away....
First of all, I'm a collector. A serious collector. It is the primary reason I modded my Xbox is because I prefer to not open the originals. After backing up my entire library (nearly 500 games), I have over 4TB of ISOs split across 3 2TB hard drives. At first, I was super focused on having a disc backup for every single game I owned
Also, I never claimed to have ripped my own games. As I understand the rules, piracy isn't a topic to be discussed, so I was doing my best to avoid it, while staying focused on the issue. I'm not trying to legitimize anything, so please don't take it as that. I have my collection, I have backups on my drive, I check everything with ABGX.
contradiction in your stories

you could have just asked for help with your 1 game, but you had to whip out your e-peen and brag about 500 iso's like anyone would think anything other than PIRATE

GhostFace606

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2011
TanonymousX
contradiction in your stories

Link To Image

you could have just asked for help with your 1 game, but you had to whip out your e-peen and brag about 500 iso's like anyone would think anything other than PIRATE

AGREED!

I am a serious gamer,and i can tell you that there is only a handful of games of the 34 games i own,that i actually play.

500 games come on now,i call B.S!

RROD!

VIP Member
Apr 13, 2011
AGREED!

I am a serious gamer,and i can tell you that there is only a handful of games of the 34 games i own,that i actually play.

500 games come on now,i call B.S!
i would not call 34 games a serious gamer??? ive got around 150 i mean yer your right you can only ever play one game at a time but i do luv to go back and replay the games
dam i even got as far as to play games like fable on pc and xbox and games like the witcher and skyrim i have to play both on xbox and pc lol and i dont know how but the wife is still with me pmsl

Last edited:

Duhasst0

VIP Member
Apr 9, 2012
Serious gaming is getting your original NES to work so you can replay those as well. Hell I still have my snes, xbox 1, 2 game cubes, wii, and 360. I still play all those systems and love them all.

RROD!

VIP Member
Apr 13, 2011
lol same here going right back to my atari 2600 with pacman ..still got it and my acorn and amiga and master system mega drive ps 1 ps 2 wii xbox xbox 360 ps 3 and that is just a few lol still have them all and most of them i even have the boxes too..hooo the days of loading tapes and having to hear the dam screaming lol to get to the end and have to reload it !!!

Last edited:

Duhasst0

VIP Member
Apr 9, 2012
This guy is jealous. Played the atari, don't remember the model. Never played master, acorn, or amiga. And to have the boxes is even more envy. Sir I bow to your seriousness. Although I wish I had the eye and sight for my super scope.

HandOfReason

Noob Account
Oct 12, 2012
I have a damn Jaguar, that's how serious a collector I am.

Like I said, I'm avoiding any talk about piracy. They aren't contradictions, unless we have different definitions of what "backup" means. I have a collection of Xbox games in the high 460s, and I don't want to open them. Some are open, because some aren't all that collectable. But when I discovered I could rip copies of them, or acquire rips of them, that became a no brainer because the retail stays new and the backup can get scratched.

Does it not become a backup of my own game if the rip didn't come from my specific copy of the game? Since we're talking data here of widely released software, my definition of a backup is a copy of the game data.

Duhasst0

VIP Member
Apr 9, 2012
Does it not become a backup of my own game if the rip didn't come from my specificcopy of thegame? Since we're talking data here of widely released software,my definition of a backup is a copy of the game data.
Sorry but to have a legal backup it must be from the disc that you own. That is the only way dude.

RROD!

VIP Member
Apr 13, 2011
lol did you ever play duck hut on the nes or lethal enforcers on the mega drive ..wounder why 360 dont do light gun games?