Kprobe Liteon Burn Quality Testing Tool

bash0r

Dec 12, 2010
Germany
That's quite a good burn for the media you are using.
But your disc doesnt meet the requirements.
The PI Average should be 5 or less and the PIF Average should be 0.2 or less.

mapleleafs89

Aug 28, 2010
Couldnt get KProbe working after reformatting.

Here with nero, using MMK-003, OPC on, burn proof off.

First run of this disc with Nero

Second run of this disc with Nero

PI seems to be way different... Dont know how reliable this is.

PIF is 5 - does that mean its garbage? I already had 1 MMK-003 that failed after a PIF of like 50 80% through the disc.

Last edited:

cab0747

VIP Member
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh
I did two test. The first was GOW 3 burned at 2.4x the second was the same ISO (ripped with my Benq) burned at 4x speed.

2.4x :The second layer was acceptable, but not great (PI max of 81 and average of 5.4)

4x: Both layers were amazing. 13 PI max with an average of .67.

PIF in both test maxed out at 2.

Has anyone else experienced this? Using MKM003 disks and an iHAS324 burner. Pictures one I get home.

DrunkenNinja

VIP Member
Oct 3, 2011
RGH
I did two test. The first was GOW 3 burned at 2.4x the second was the same ISO (ripped with my Benq) burned at 4x speed.

2.4x :The second layer was acceptable, but not great (PI max of 81 and average of 5.4)

4x: Both layers were amazing. 13 PI max with an average of .67.

PIF in both test maxed out at 2.

Has anyone else experienced this? Using MKM003 disks and an iHAS324 burner. Pictures one I get home.
I find results seem to vary between the different Rips I make, that said both of the burns you did will be fine with a PIF Max rating of (2), it's actually a very good burn believe it or not.

If you get some slightly wonky burns from time to time, then you have three choices

1. accept it (If it's not terrible - PIF over 5)
2. RE-RIP the original and try again
3. Mess with your settings

I generally recommend them in that order, especially if you have had success with your current settings.

Reactions: willi23

cab0747

VIP Member
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh
I find results seem to vary between the different Rips I make, that said both of the burns you did will be fine with a PIF Max rating of (2), it's actually a very good burn believe it or not.

If you get some slightly wonky burns from time to time, then you have three choices

1. accept it (If it's not terrible - PIF over 5)
2. RE-RIP the original and try again
3. Mess with your settings

I generally recommend them in that order, especially if you have had success with your current settings.
The high PI numbers on layer 2 made me a bit nervous. However, as you pointed out, both burns are within the acceptable limits.

Both burns were from the same rip so I do not think the rip is at fault. Once I buy a few more games I will test this further to see what I come up with.

ok so i have a question. i have ripped skyrim. burned with ihas 124b and did kprobe test. pi max was 77 which as far as im aware is in acceptable range. then i did same test again and got highest pi at 145. (at this point i hadnt power cycled drive or anything). i then used nero discspeed and got 145 and disc quality at 85. so i cleared opc history and power cycled drive and run the tests again. first with kprobe got highest pi as 110 and nero gave same result. discs quality was 95. is it me or do i have a dodgy drive. i dont mind power cycling between burns but surely i shouldnt have to??

DrunkenNinja

VIP Member
Oct 3, 2011
RGH
ok so i have a question. i have ripped skyrim. burned with ihas 124b and did kprobe test. pi max was 77 which as far as im aware is in acceptable range. then i did same test again and got highest pi at 145. (at this point i hadnt power cycled drive or anything). i then used nero discspeed and got 145 and disc quality at 85. so i cleared opc history and power cycled drive and run the tests again. first with kprobe got highest pi as 110 and nero gave same result. discs quality was 95. is it me or do i have a dodgy drive. i dont mind power cycling between burns but surely i shouldnt have to??
I don't get those huge variations when testing media, so it's hard to comment but I did read somewhere once that you should give the drive a rest between burns/reading, cause it could throw up some weird results, didn't make much sense to me at the time but it was from a trustworthy source so I made a mental note of it, and cause it isn't such a big deal heed this information, maybe this would work in your case?

I don't verify my discs immediately after a burn but instead take some time out in-between maybe 5 - 10 mins, I don't see why it would be necessary to power cycle the drive though as no settings are being changed.

Hope it helps.

thanks for the reply. i would like to say this has worked but the first set of kprobe/nero results were last night and i did the second set of tests today. im gonna fiddle with the settings a bit as i keep getting huge spikes at the layerbreak using MKM003-00 discs. i might just try default settings with opc

DrunkenNinja

VIP Member
Oct 3, 2011
RGH
thanks for the reply. i would like to say this has worked but the first set of kprobe/nero results were last night and i did the second set of tests today. im gonna fiddle with the settings a bit as i keep getting huge spikes at the layerbreak using MKM003-00 discs. i might just try default settings with opc
No problem, try the settings in my guide if you want to tinker.

http://www.team-xecuter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74721

Lots of info there also.

well i tried something new last night. burned a copy a ac-r which i kept getting max pi over 400. changed the firmware from mkm0a3-00 to mkm003-00 and got a good burn straight away. kprobe max pi was 68 max pif was 3 if i remember correctly so a good burn all round. still get a massive spike at the layerbreak and a small one in the last part of the disc. but i put it in my slim and it shows the game title and it tries to install it but fails at 43% (hopefully cos its got topology data added and im only on lt2.0) ill find out soon enough when 3.0 comes out. in the mean time ill just have to be careful with my originals.

DrunkenNinja

VIP Member
Oct 3, 2011
RGH
well i tried something new last night. burned a copy a ac-r which i kept getting max pi over 400. changed the firmware from mkm0a3-00 to mkm003-00 and got a good burn straight away. kprobe max pi was 68 max pif was 3 if i remember correctly so a good burn all round. still get a massive spike at the layerbreak and a small one in the last part of the disc. but i put it in my slim and it shows the game title and it tries to install it but fails at 43% (hopefully cos its got topology data added and im only on lt2.0) ill find out soon enough when 3.0 comes out. in the mean time ill just have to be careful with my originals.
I don't think using MCSE was a good idea personally, most people used this to get other types of media to write using "Burner Max" with no sucess.

The firmware should be left intact the way c4e created it.

It's pretty difficult to explain but basically you reset the write stratergy to the original MKM003 version, I can tell you why your getting the massive spike too it's because the write stratagy you loaded has never written and was not designed to write to the edge of the disc (The quality of the dye is different) there is a reason I don't recommend this in my guide, it was not even recommended by Lightning UK people just made it sound that way.

Personally I would have tweaked the EEPROM settings or gone back to the original settings, massive spikes (PIE over 100 / PIF over 10) are not good and should not happen.

Last edited:
did another kprobe test on the same burn this morning and i seem to have a dodgy drive. it gave me a max PI of 148 and PIF of 8. i dont get why im not getting consisent results from the same disc. if i check it after 10 mins i get a good kprobe results then i check the discs again the next morning and its total crap.

keil423

VIP Member
Is anyone using this on a Little Acer notebook. Or does anyone know if it will work on an Acer notebook. My buddy has one of these and every time he runs the installer it either freezes up or will run threw but then the program freezes on intro.

Guy fixed it never mind!

Last edited: