laser stutter, replaced parts still not working Please Help!!!

Houzanshi87

Noob Account
Dec 18, 2010
I got a second xbox360 for free when they had the buy a laptop get an xbox promotion. I was going to resell it after installing the unlocked PCB for 0225 " xbox was a 9504 mislabeled. shows up as 0225 in jungle flasher." i was unable to sell it so it went into storage for about a year. before storage i installed the PCB put lt+ 3.0 and tested a bunch of games to make sure it worked, total usage time less than 2 hrs since i got it. now i decided to use it in the family room as a kinect workout machine and i instantly got laser stutter when i tried to use it. it didn't have that at all before the storage, never dropped or banged it in the original box. ive replace the laser and worm gear as well as re-flashed it multiple times with lt+3.0 0225u and lt+3.0 0225 firmwares with no errors in jungle flasher. nothing seems to work so far. im thinking my unlocked PCB is defective. i have an xbox i use in my room for regular gaming with unlocked pcb and lt+ 3.0 0225 that one works perfect and was modded the same time as the storage xbox. does anyone have any ideas as to whats wrong? since its been so long since i got the pcb am i out of luck for a replacement? any help is appreciated.

let me know if there is additional information i could supply

RED IMPACT

VIP Member
Nov 12, 2010
NW, UK
What do you mean by stutter?

I would suggest checking the resistance of the pots and failing that grease the rails.

Houzanshi87

Noob Account
Dec 18, 2010
ive put a bunch of grease on the rails plus the pots are at 3.02. the stuttering happens when i load a game and the laser move alittle bit then makes a stuuteinf sound like its jammed in place. its not catching on anything or being blocked from moving.

Last edited:

RED IMPACT

VIP Member
Nov 12, 2010
NW, UK
Have you tried manually moving the laser with the drive tray closed? It should move freely? You haven't adjusted the rails at any point...

Houzanshi87

Noob Account
Dec 18, 2010
yeah the disc spins fine. sometimes if the laser kicks in at the right spot it will read the game disc on the dash. but when trying to load the game from dash is trys to search for data and thats where it stutters. most of the time it stutters and wont read the disc at the dash

skillet34

VIP Member
Jun 21, 2012
MA USA
Any damage on the ribbon cable to the laser? I have seen more than a few where someone hastily installed it and there was a little damage on the edge.

Houzanshi87

Noob Account
Dec 18, 2010
i though that too but the cables are flawless. plus i reseated them to make sure they are flush to the connector.

added a video to show what my drive is doing.
[video=youtube_share;_olU0jjqRCI]http://youtu.be/_olU0jjqRCI[/video]

Last edited:

Houzanshi87

Noob Account
Dec 18, 2010
this vid was made after i already replaced both the laser and worm gear.

its does this with both backups and originals. i first noticed the issue when i tried to play my original Fable for Kinect.

Last edited:

WildCard007

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2013
USA
In my experience, I don't think it would be the laser because when the laser doesn't pick anything up it stops spinning the disc. That's how you usually know the laser has gone bad. Have you tried replacing the white piece that attaches the laser to the worm motor? If it isn't that white piece I think it might be an issue with the board. Does everything work when it is brought back to stock? Do you have the original board you can use to test the system out with everything stock? Are you using a small amount of white lithium grease on the worm motor or a lot of a different type of grease? There might be damage from sitting in storage for so long. With no way to know what the temperature or other factors happened in storage i'd say try going back to stock and using original board then go from there.

Last edited:

Houzanshi87

Noob Account
Dec 18, 2010
Got an Update on my Xbox. i havent had time to work on it recently; too busy at work. my original board got damage a while back to i cant use that to check it. i have my dummy.bin and keys from it though. i tried flashing my PCB to stock firmware and found that my key was not writing. i followed the steps correctly from the PDF guide and double checked that i was doing it write. i copied my key to the target firmware and procceded with flashing; but when i re-lock the PCB and check that jungleflasher sees my drive correctly, it shows no Key. Im currently running windows 8 and i do the disable driver sig enforcment thing, but im still thinking that may be the problem. i originally flashed with win 7 fine with both my xboxes. im going to install win XP and dual boot to run flasher from there and see if it makes a difference. Ill update with my results when i have the time.

Last edited:

RED IMPACT

VIP Member
Nov 12, 2010
NW, UK
By all accounts: Laser is fine, worm drive is fine, drive ribbon is fine, fw should be fine.

The white bit that connects the worm drive to the laser - is that greased? If not grease it but seeing as you have replaced everything else that part is the most probable fault at this point in time. Get a replacement!

Houzanshi87

Noob Account
Dec 18, 2010
the part is greased. i put new grease when i replaced the worm gear. though i cannot find that clip for the liteon drive only the on for samsung, hitachi and toshiba.

eBay item #: 181163462692
eBay item #: 181163462843

i also tried some of the TX official resellers and didnt find it. dont really want to buy a whole drive for one part. does anyone know where to get one or is selling one. Im in USAv

Last edited by a moderator: