IF YOUR DASHBOARD IS 2.0.13599 OR HIGHER THEN YOUR DRIVE IS NO LONGER A 83850C - IT HAS BEEN UPGRADED TO A 02510C - SO YOU MUST FOLLOW THIS NEW GUIDE INSTEAD
UPDATED: 2ND OCTOBER 2011
This guide is the property of Ubergeek on behalf of Team Xecuter. You have permission to duplicate this guide as long as full credits are given - don't be lame and claim it to be your own.
With X360USB PRO you don't need CK3 Pro drivers, you don't have to use any COM ports (if you don't want the "no Com Ports" message showing up when you boot Jungle Flasher then simply save and run this reg file) and you don't have to have any PortIO stuff installed so no F8 or Driver signing disabled or any of that crap any more (simply tick the USB Only button and all the PortIO stuff gets disabled / ignored) - just ignore all that as it's the old way of doing things - X360USB PRO takes care of ALL of it.
The following tutorial will take you through the simple process of communicating with a Liteon DG-16D2S DVD Drive using Jungle Flasher and an X360USB PRO adapter.
- Xecuter X360USB Pro
- DVD Drive Power source (the tutorial uses an Xecuter CK3 Pro)
- Sata Cable (Supplied with X360USB Pro)
- USB Cable (Supplied with X360USB Pro)
- Latest version of Jungle Flasher (Must be v0.1.82 and above)
- Latest version of X360USB PRO firmware (must be at least v18)
- X360USB PRO Windows Drivers
- Windows XP / Vista / 7 - 32bit or 64bit
- MAC OSX (Using Parallels, Bootcamp or VMWare)
AUX Power Cable
The X360USB PRO comes with an AUX Power cable. This is NOT to be used unless it is required. Your X360USB PRO will function with no problems on 99% of USB ports as they have a 500ma output. A tiny amount of USB ports only carry 100ma. The AUX Power is supplied as a worst case scenario for those instances (you would plug it into a USB capable power supply unit such as the iPod's power brick). DO NOT use the AUX Power cable if your computer supports 500ma as you may cause damage to your X360USB PRO. The best way to test is it just set everything up to see if drivers install, jungle flasher detects the drive etc.
There is no solid way to visually distinguish if you have an 83850(v1) or 83850(v2). July 2009 has a mix of the v1 and v2 drives so if your drive is June 2009 or less it's probably a v1, and if your drive is an August 2009 or more it's probably a v2. You can only tell for sure by hooking the drive up, run Jungle Flasher and click the LO83info button. Jungle Flasher sends a secret inquiry for 83850(v2), so it will tell you if you have one or not, if you click LO83info and Jungle Flasher tells you to power on the drive with tray 1/2 open, you have a 83850(v1).
Here is an example of the Liteon DG-16D2S DVD label. As you can see we have highlighted the F/W version - in this case it is the 83850C (When referencing the drives the letter C is rarely mentioned as it doesn't have any relevance so don't worry if you simply see "83850". The date of the drive is May 2009, so as this is lower than July 2009 it is an 83850(v1) drive.
Before you connect everything you first need to install the X360USB Pro Drivers. These are signed and work in Windows XP / Vista / 7 both 32bit and 64bit. Download the small driverpack and plug in the X360USB PRO USB Cable. When it asks for the drivers simple point to the files you saved and they will install with ease. You are now ready to hook everything else up.
Working with a stock Liteon DG-16D2S 83850(v1) is the easiest of the Liteon drives as you DO NOT have to take the drive case apart and use a CK3 Probe to extract the DVD key. It is all done via Jungle Flasher and a couple of tray eject tricks.
Note: If you already have your drive key from a previous update then simply load your saved previously Dummy.bin and skip to part #9
It's very easy to hook up your Liteon DG-16D2S 83850(v1) to your PC. Simply connect the DVD power supply (in this case the Xecuter CK3 Pro) to the DVD drive (take care to make sure it is fitted the correct way - the wrong way can damage your drive) and to a molex power cable from your PC or from an external Molex power supply. Then connect the SATA cable from the DVD drive to the X360USB Pro, and then connect the USB cable from the X360USB Pro to a USB port on your Netbook/Notebook/Laptop/Desktop computer.
OK we are ready to begin:
1. Load up Jungle Flasher and...
(1) Select the DVDKey 32 Tab
(2) Make sure the I/O Port is set to 0x000
(3) The X360USB pro should be detected as Primary Master and the Firmware version will be displayed (in this case it is Ver 0.17)
(4) The Liteon DG-16D2S should be detected and ready to work with
(5) Make sure the Dummy.bin only box is ticked. This file will hold all the extracted information (key, inquiry, identify & serial).
2. Now you are going to extract the DVD data by doing some C4/TJ magic by clicking LO83info
3. You will now be asked to do a powercycle with half tray (IMPORTANT! - You will get an error if you do not follow this step correctly)
- Eject the Liteon tray (use the CK3 Pro eject switch)
- Turn the power OFF
- Push the tray half way in
- Turn the power ON
- Click OK
4. Pull the tray out to its fully ejected position then click OK
5. The DVD Key has been extracted successfully
6. You will be prompted to save the Dummy.bin - keep this file in a safe place as it holds all of your drives information including the DVD Key.
7. The following part of the guide is solely to show 3rd party tools working with the X360USB PRO. You must own any game that you backup and we do not condone any kind of piracy and this is purely for educational purposes only. We do not provide any of the LT Plus firmware files and they are not provided or included with Jungle Flasher so do not ask for them. Once the drives firmware has been read Jungle Flasher will ask you if you want to auto-load the Liteon iXtreme firmware. Click Yes.
8. Everything is now loaded into Jungle Flasher and you are ready to go. Let's explain whats happening on the screen at the moment.
(1) The source buffer is loaded with the information extracted from your Liteon drive.
(2) This is your DVD key - always keep this safe !
(3) This is the iXtreme LT Plus firmware auto loaded into the target buffer
9. Now you are ready to program your drive.
(1) Select the MTK Flash 32 tab
(2) Click the Lite-On Erase button
10. You will get a pop-up warning you to be 100% sure that you have your DVD Key. If you are sure click YES
11. Another pop-up explaining that the drive will be erased and when it sends an intro to the drive to kick it into vendor mode. If you are ready click YES
12. You need to power cycle the drive (turn the CK3 Pro power switch OFF then ON) when the drive status displays as 0x90. Your drive will then switch to vendor mode ( 0x72 ) and you are ready to write data to the drive. To program the firmware click the Write button.
13. After writing, Jungle Flasher also reads and verifies every sector to make sure that the drive programmed correctly. Once everything is completed it will say "Write Verified OK!"
14. Success ! You can now click the Outro / ATA Reset button to take the drive out of vendor mode