Looking for help with BOTW save editor

lvving

Jul 5, 2018
I've been at this for a few days and can't seem to make any progress. I am trying to make/download/edit an game_data.sav file for Legend Of Zeldz-BOTW where everything is maxed out or can be edited. I've tried the online editor which seems to successfully edit or create a new game_data.sav but I can't seem to successfully load it back after editing. I have tried both Checkpoint 3.6 and Edizon. Edizon seems to be very limited on exactly what can be edited.
Checkpoint can create a save, abd then I tried uploading it to the online save editor which seemed to be able to read and edit it, and then when saved back, I can't get my changes to actually show up. Checkpoint would load the edited save but when loading BOTW, none of the changes were present.
I've beaten the game and just want to play around but would prefer to do it with everything maxed out.
I'm using BOTW with the DLCs and latest patches installed. Any ideas what combination of apps/WWW I need to accomplish a working BOTW with all items maxed out?

imprezgc8

Majora's Mask
Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
Top Poster Of Month
Nov 26, 2007
The Cloud
I have not tried any of it myself, but it could be FW related and the tools need to be updated or possibly something with the game updates. Looks like checkpoint hasn't been updated since Dec 2018. Could be something with that. Not sure of another app to backup saves though as it seems your tried Edizon already.

If you restore the edited saves with edizon does it work? I'm thinking you tried already, but worth asking.

lvving

Jul 5, 2018
I have tried about every combo of save from every app I can find. Edizon only allows editing a very small list of items. The online WWW editor does what I want but I can't find anyway to successfully load my save back in. It creates a game_data.sav file, which I assume is meant to load in with checkpoint, but even that isn't documented very well. The same game_data.sav file from the online WWW works, but then you lose all progress in my existing game.

I have not tried any of it myself, but it could be FW related and the tools need to be updated or possibly something with the game updates. Looks like checkpoint hasn't been updated since Dec 2018. Could be something with that. Not sure of another app to backup saves though as it seems your tried Edizon already.

If you restore the edited saves with edizon does it work? I'm thinking you tried already, but worth asking.

DejaSentj

Sep 20, 2018
I just find out how to edit weapons durability and modify weapons with sxos "cheat search". it is little tricky and if you interesting to do by yourself well I can make a instruction so everyone can do much as you wanted. except someone already posted.

(I can process and work on it tonight and posted as soon as I finished. next 8h)

imprezgc8

Majora's Mask
Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
Top Poster Of Month
Nov 26, 2007
The Cloud
I have tried about every combo of save from every app I can find. Edizon only allows editing a very small list of items. The online WWW editor does what I want but I can't find anyway to successfully load my save back in. It creates a game_data.sav file, which I assume is meant to load in with checkpoint, but even that isn't documented very well. The same game_data.sav file from the online WWW works, but then you lose all progress in my existing game.
Sorry I can't help more. It's something I want to play around with myself. Just haven't had the time. It honestly possible that checkpoint needs to be updated.

If you make a backup with checkpoint and then do a few things in the game, like change your equip items or travel to a different area and then restore the save does that work and revert the game back? If not I would say that Checkpoint is not actually restoring anything.

Ashuraman

Mar 19, 2019
PT
Here's what i do:
Open Checkpoint
Backup the save
Make a copy of the save file(just in case)
Load the save onto the online editor(Usually the one i load is the one labled 3)
Make the changes i need
Save(It overwrites the save, it doesn't create a new one)
Place the edited save back on the SD card
Open Checkpoint
Load the save
Done

lvving

Jul 5, 2018
This is the exact procedure I have tried. Please post which patches for BOTW you have installed and also which
DLC you have installed. Also which version of Checkpoint as I can't figure out why it would work for others but not me.
Thanks for responding.

Here's what i do:
Open Checkpoint
Backup the save
Make a copy of the save file(just in case)
Load the save onto the online editor(Usually the one i load is the one labled 3)
Make the changes i need
Save(It overwrites the save, it doesn't create a new one)
Place the edited save back on the SD card
Open Checkpoint
Load the save
Done

Ashuraman

Mar 19, 2019
PT
This is the exact procedure I have tried. Please post which patches for BOTW you have installed and also which
DLC you have installed. Also which version of Checkpoint as I can't figure out why it would work for others but not me.
Thanks for responding.
All the DLC and the second to last update. Not the 1.6 that adds VR and whatnot, the one before that

lvving

Jul 5, 2018
I wonder if mine not working is related to my firmware version. There aren't that many factors so that might be the only thing left. When I import my edited save, none of the changes seem to be present.

All the DLC and the second to last update. Not the 1.6 that adds VR and whatnot, the one before that

Ashuraman

Mar 19, 2019
PT
I wonder if mine not working is related to my firmware version. There aren't that many factors so that might be the only thing left. When I import my edited save, none of the changes seem to be present.
Ok so you're exporting your save file with Checkpoint right? If so, on the folder you should have several folders named 1, 2, 3, 4 etc right? The save you want usually is in the folder labeled 3. That's the one you should edit and then replace on the SD card. Then just import the file and load it. Folder 3 has i think the very latest autosave you made or latest manual save, i forget which one. As for your firmware version are you by any chance on 8.1?

lvving

Jul 5, 2018
Yes. I am using checkppoint 3.6.0. I've tried so many combinations that I have lost track, but I am pretty sure I tried with slot 3. I am using emunand 8.01 right now. I didn't upgrade my emunand to 8.1 yet. I will try the entire process again and report back the results.
Ok so you're exporting your save file with Checkpoint right? If so, on the folder you should have several folders named 1, 2, 3, 4 etc right? The save you want usually is in the folder labeled 3. That's the one you should edit and then replace on the SD card. Then just import the file and load it. Folder 3 has i think the very latest autosave you made or latest manual save, i forget which one. As for your firmware version are you by any chance on 8.1?
I just tried it and edited the game_save in folder 3. I only changed the number of bomb arrows to 999 and then reloaded the save. Nothing changed. The number remianed exactly same as before my change.
Yes. I am using checkppoint 3.6.0. I've tried so many combinations that I have lost track, but I am pretty sure I tried with slot 3. I am using emunand 8.01 right now. I didn't upgrade my emunand to 8.1 yet. I will try the entire process again and report back the results.
To make this even weirder, if I only edit the game_data.sav from slot 3, it still shows as a restorable save even though it doesn't appear to work. I tried editing every game_data.sav in folders 0-5 via the online editor and then when I go to restore them in checkpoint, the folder I created the saves in when backing it up (in this case zzzz) doesn't even show as a restorable option in checkpoint anymore. So apparently not all of the game_data.sav files are the same. I was very careful about editing each one separately and replacing them after editing each one. Something is very odd.

[UPDATE] I think I finally made progress. When editing all of the saves from folders 0-5, I found a few that appeared to already have 999 bomb arrows. I had originally saved all 0-5 even though it already had 999 bomb arrows, and that appeared to somehow corrupt the entire folder as it wouldn't even show as a restorable option anymore.
This time, I only edited and replaced the game_data.sav files that only had a few hundred bomb arrows left, and then restored them and it appeared to work. Still no idea exactly which folder 0-5 was the correct one but I will only touch the ones that looks similar to my last status in the live game from now on.
I think I finally made progress. When editing all of the saves from folders 0-5, I found a few that appeared to already have 999 bomb arrows. I had originally saved all 0-5 even though it already had 999 bomb arrows, and that appeared to somehow corrupt the entire folder as it wouldn't even show as a restorable option anymore.
This time, I only edited and replaced the game_data.sav files that only had a few hundred bomb arrows left, and then restored them and it appeared to work. Still no idea exactly which folder 0-5 was the correct one but I will only touch the ones that looks similar to my last status in the live game from now on.

Last edited: